Jambands.ca

moe.down line up is pretty darn bad.

moe.down would be cooler without moe.

laughin' my sweet east coast ass off!!!

Push, poke, nudge away...I'll be passing on all the info on Monday to the fellas. They've been asking about festivals close by...

It would be nice to have a Canadian act for sure...Nero was too much fun...

Booche, I'm basing it on the fact that they seem to choose bands that are considered the "top tier" jambands in Canada... nero, BNB, GTB and JSB were the four "top tier" jambands playing in Canada at the time they were chosen... Since I don't see moe. repeating side stage acts, it stands to reason that they wouldn't select BNB, GTB or JSB again... nero won't get selected for obvious reasons...

So who does that leave us in Canada? Wassabi has to be considered a top tier band at the moment. I'm not talking about skill, just name recognition... I think they've earned a spot at moe.Down, especially considering the improvements they've made since last year... That leaves one spot... While SlowCoaster certainly isn't a top tier band, they've just finished a cross Canada tour, and have shown significant potential to be considered a top tier band within a year or two...

Who else does that leave? There aren't any other east coast bands at the moment that are even on the radar... The west coast bands (ie. themasses) may be talented, but are relatively unknown outside of BC and Alberta... Ontario hasn't produced anyone that could even come close to being called top tier... Sure, Kevin Breit is well known, but he and the Sisters Euclid don't play anywhere besides a weekly gig in Toronto...

As I said, it seems like moe. wants to use the Canadian spots to promote bands on the verge of making it big... The cream of the crop in terms of potential, so to speak... If it was based solely on talent, I'd say Kevin Breit should definitely be a pick. But our scene doesn't always place an emphasis on talent (if it did, the Disco Biscuits would have failed years ago).

I think giving a slot to a band that has only played a handful of gigs outside of their hometown ahead of hard working bands that are touring to make a name for themselves isn't what moe. has in mind. Maybe I'm wrong... I certainly wouldn't complain if Kevin and the Sisters got a slot. I just feel like Wassabi and SloCo could use the exposure more than Breit's band.

I think you would at least agree that the pickings are getting rather slim north of the border...

i think the pure talent of that man trumps him over any jamband that i can think of...
If it was based solely on talent, I'd say Kevin Breit should definitely be a pick. But our scene doesn't always place an emphasis on talent.