Jambands.ca

top X canadian bands according to jambands.ca

dJEd

ok i'm bored and on't even really like threads involving canada but here goes anyway.

who do you think should be at this date on a list of the best Canuck musical acts?

now comes the question "'best' according to what?"

whatever you want arsehole.

the obvious ones of course, neil, joni, band

i would say that most of the BSS affiliated bands are top notch and should be on the list.

Godspeed You Black Emperor! are #1 for me right now.

who else? we've got nothing. well not nothing but not much.

why did i even start this thread? i'm seriously.

blackie & the rodeo kings

... definitely, but also perhaps Stephen Fearing solo?

okay, agreed.

actually, definitely agreed. amazing guitarist, and an all around nice guy. nearly every time i've been to see him he's been very approachable and remembers faces gig to gig.

Not the current lineup of Teenage Head, of course? You're talking late-'70s I presume?

Dave Rave, man, there's a Hamiltonian for ya.

I'm not into their current radio single, but the new album from Matt Mays and El Torpedo is awesome front to back. It's their first record together, but there was a Matt Mays solo record before this one that was great too, and he was with the Guthries before that.

Have to big up Joel Plaskett/the JP Emergency too. I stand firm that Down at the Khyber will go down as a classic Canadian rock record, along with the last record he did with Thrush Hermit, Clayton Park.

I see Jaimoe gave a nod to Kathleen Edwards, both her records are stellar, though the latest is a little slicker than the first.

And since we're talking about bands no longer around...there was this trio from Ottawa, [color:purple]their name escapes me at the moment though... :D

Black Mountain is spawned from Jerk With A Bomb and Pink Mountaintops.

I've listened to BM's new and favourably to outright raves reviewed self-titled CD, and I liked what I heard. There's a real heavy bass going on through some of the songs, yet the guitars are always swirling. The guitar interplay is reminiscent to some extent of Galaxy 500 and Luna, which is a freaking great thing.

http://www.thewaxmuseum.bc.ca/jwab/index2.html

[i'm not into their current radio single, but the new album from Matt Mays and El Torpedo is awesome front to back. It's their first record together, but there was a Matt Mays solo record before this one that was great too, and he was with the Guthries before that.

It took me a few listens to appreciate it, but the new Matt Mays disc is fantastic, and they're great live taboot. Mays is another one of those surprisingly good lead guitarists who doesn't take nearly enough solo breaks.

I'm not into their current radio single, but the new album from Matt Mays and El Torpedo is awesome front to back. It's their first record together, but there was a Matt Mays solo record before this one that was great too, and he was with the Guthries before that.

I didn't know Matt Mays was in the Guthries... They were gooood. I love the Off Windmill disc. Did Mays do any songwriting with the Guthries or was he just a player?

AD

Not sure about that, don't think there's a guy in El Torpedo named Gabe. Don't know how much writing he contributed to the Guthries either. I agree about Matt's guitar playing, it's hugely Neil Young influenced, he really knows how to work that hollow Gretch with the Bigsby.