Jambands.ca

Miss Universe is a Jackass I guess

Deeps

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's stupid to ban her from being presented as Miss World or whatever. What's the point?

I believe the point to be that beauty contests are ridiculous and help to hold the women of the world to the Cosmopolitan version of beauty.

It tells me that there has been some legislation in the right direction put to the books.

There are a lot of men and women who have a blind acceptance of how women are portrayed and have little reverance toward the repercussinos of telling our daughters that beauty queens and Brittany are within a 100 miles of a good role model.

Deeps

If you temper your distaste for beauty contest with the amount of awareness the winners of such contests bring to real issues around the world, you may change your mind about the greater good.

The actual contest itself is stupid, IMO. But I'm glad the winners do what they do to promote worthy causes.

AD

Interesting discussion, Deeps. Thanks for raising it, things were getting kinda slow 'round here.

now, here's today's Toronto Sun Sunshine Girl! :o

torssg1.jpg

"Jennifer, 22, is a Gemini and was a contestant in the recent Miss CHIN picnic pageant at Exhibition Place. She enjoys in-line skating and says her goal is to become a personal trainer."

I wondered who's be the first MarcO.

AD,

Good point.

I guess that's going to happen anyway though and for the greater good I'll take Toronto hitting the papers as an opponent of what the contest generally stands for (vanity, sexism and the like) as a step in the right direction too.

Win win I guess?

Deeps

Edited by Guest

A contest based on vanity and sexism... Sounds like an election... hmmm.... David Miller....

Definitely a stretch, but I bet someone with more time on their hands could make the point...

I think Toronto completely missed the point on this one. The Thai community wanted to have Miss World (or whatever her title is) open their festivities, but she can only go as Natalie Glebova? Too much PC beureaucratic nonsense if you ask me. She's a celebrity around the world, but can't get any recognition a few blocks from her home?

AD

why is Natalie Glebova a "jackass"?

Because she's chemically imbalanced.

AD,

Big deal. It's not a shame that another girl known primarily for being pretty isn't recognized.

It would be just another vote for old fashioned and misguided views on women and sexuality.

Deeps

It says "I guess" as in "I guess she's a jackass according to the powers that be at Nathan Phillips Square"

Catch?

I don't guess anything, I figure she's a lovely girl with her head screwed on straight....straight on her pretty ass!".

Deeps

I was wondering that myself....where are the women on this board?

I'd like to hear what they'd say!

I am discussing it because I think that all men have had to help and deprogram this submerged I am not a model therefore I suck little girl voice in a lot of their mates. If hetero.

I am tired of talk about titties and ass dominating conversation if a woman is brought up at all in a conversation amongst men. It's still too common don't you think?

Luckily I have found a solid group of MEN to be around that don't make the women in our circle feel objectified, but I am sadly confident the boys outnumber the MEN I know when other social circles are taken into account.

I've never had a picture of chick in her underwear pinned up on on my wall and seek to challenge those who find it a necessary evil or immaterial.

Deeps

Edited by Guest

I have a question for Deeps: Just because she is pretty does that automatically make her a jackass? Are beatifull people not allowed to be smart? For my mind that's just as sexist as what you were arguing about. Sure they are pretty first and foremost (thus winning a beauty pageant) but as was mentioned earlier, most of the time these girls spend as Miss Universe is spent travelling the world showing up at cahritable functions whatever to raise awareness. She get's people in the door to hear the message.

I have a question for Deeps: Just because she is pretty does that automatically make her a jackass? Are beatifull people not allowed to be smart? For my mind that's just as sexist as what you were arguing about. Sure they are pretty first and foremost (thus winning a beauty pageant) but as was mentioned earlier, most of the time these girls spend as Miss Universe is spent travelling the world showing up at cahritable functions whatever to raise awareness. She get's people in the door to hear the message.

I think I addressed this above, but no it doesn't mean that she's a jack ass...I was just trying to get the people of this board to pay the post some mind...I was bored.

I would say she is questionably intelligent if she particpates in the auction....I mean pagent.

Deeps

Well, Natalie Glebova is pretty empowered and doing a lot of good deeds since she won the competition.

I don't want to stick up for what you rightly described as beauty contests, but they're not ALL bad.

Whatever. Like I said before it's pretty trivial.

AD

I think I addressed this above, but no it doesn't mean that she's a jack ass...I was just trying to get the people of this board to pay the post some mind...I was bored.

I would say she is questionably intelligent if she particpates in the auction....I mean pagent.

Deep

This says more about your own narrowed views of who frequents jambands.ca than anything.

I don't think women need SNAGs (Sensitive New-Age Guys) to speak on their behalf since they've secretly been running our world for quite some time now.

Not undermining your obvious care and concern but I think it's pretty righteous of you to say "Look, I love women and so do my metrosexual friends" when in fact they probably don't need what you're offering.

As for beauty contests, men will always love tits and ass almost as much as (some) women love to show them off...for themselves. Now if I were to comment any further I'd be one more incessantly jabbering shlong on this thread! :)