Jambands.ca

cheapest place to buy an iPod?

DevO

I just ordered an iPod photo (20 gig) from Apple.ca last friday. Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow. They do free engraving at the Apple store and free shipping. I don't think you can really get it much cheaper so getting the engraving is an added bonus by going through them. However, I have seen refurbished iPods (not photo) on the Futureshop's website.

I was going to make a thread and ask opinion's about iPod's, but I ended up talking to \/\/illy and read a bunch of iPod sites to see what can be done with them. They are hackable, but the only thing I would want to do would be to get a bigger harddrive.

The jambands.ca podcast in development, will be great to toss onto your iPod.

yeah bouche i'm checking out prices online right now.. seems like $379 is the standard for the new iPod 20 GB. the refurbished ones at future shop, i'm not sure if the warranty is the same so i'm going to spend the extra $50 for a brand new one with a solid 1 year warranty.

buying through apple.ca you get it engraved.. buying through futureshop.ca you get this "iPod Starter Kit" for free, which they claim has a $100 value. i couldn't find any info on this starter kit though. hmmmm.

Kev, those were my exact thoughts when I made the decision to go with Apple.ca. I considered the extended Apple Care, but I didn't see any real benefits except for battery replacement. I normally take my chances with extra protection.

I also ordered the iTrip to stream music in the car etc...although I think there may be a better fm-transmission add-on so I may send that back after more research and the digi-camera connector by Apple.

I read that the screen on this version is bigger and crisper than the last iPod photo.

Anyone have thoughts on iTrip versus other fm-modulator thingies?

I hated the iTrip, the interface is so clumsy, the method of using it so impractical. I then went with the AirPlay, much much much easier to use, sound quality is about the same.

The best bet for FM transmission is the TuneDock or something. It is huge and clumsy and you must pretty much mount it in your car and draw power from the ciggie lighter, but the sound quality is excellent.

I'm gonna get rid of all my FM transmitter things maybe and go with a AUX line-in, if the price can be justified.

Bouche, you're welcome to test out the AirPlay transmitter once your iTrip arrives to compare. You'll soon see that the iTrip is a piece of crap.

AD

I think i'm going to go with future shop, which means i'm going with the free "iPod Starter Kit" over the free engraving. Not sure about the iTrips myself though.

The podcast thing is pretty exciting!

Edited by Guest

I hated the iTrip, the interface is so clumsy, the method of using it so impractical. I then went with the AirPlay, much much much easier to use, sound quality is about the same.

The best bet for FM transmission is the TuneDock or something. It is huge and clumsy and you must pretty much mount it in your car and draw power from the ciggie lighter, but the sound quality is excellent.

I'm gonna get rid of all my FM transmitter things maybe and go with a AUX line-in, if the price can be justified.

Bouche, you're welcome to test out the AirPlay transmitter once your iTrip arrives to compare. You'll soon see that the iTrip is a piece of crap.

AD

you know, I read about the Airplay, and I kind of remember that the sound quality was much better than the iTrip.

Thanks for the info and offer but, I'm just going to see if I can change my order ;)

be right back!

i bought the mini (4gig) in november from a guy who got it off the back of a truck.. best decision i ever made..

ive looked at the 20-60 gigs.. and i think its kinda a waste.. sure you have a lot of music but the battrys dont last too long, the 4gig i have currntly has about 850songs including audience recordings of phish and trey shows.. but none the less i have 74albums and shows on it now..

whats the ipod starter kit??