Jambands.ca

Relix Article: Controversy

CookieMonster

The closest I ever had to getting a Phish vibe at a Burties show was when I used to see them back at Lakehead University... I'm talking about the very first BNB shows... They used to play the student pub (The Outpost) semi-frequently, and used to do several Phish and Grateful Dead covers (some of which I thought were BNB originals at the time). Their first Hallowe'en show in particular stands out as a real turning point in my life, and is one of the main reasons I got into the jam scene... Sure they were a seven piece band at the time, but looking back it was what I imagine seeing Phish back in 89/90 would have been like...

[i know that there are LOADS of positives when thinking about the boards, but that's is beside the point, considering the contextual angle I was commissioned to write this piece with.

i have not read the article.

how can LOADS of positives ever be besides the point? (no need to answer, i do understand what you are trying to say).

BNB should not be swept into any comparison with phish. comparing music can always serve as a focal point of controversy, however in my personal opinion its like comparing the yankees to my tuesday night softball team.

as for RELIX. one day a long time ago now, it all of a sudden changed, and instead of seeing an advertisement for some festival in buckshot iowa, i saw an article/box on a page reviewing this really violent (guns etc.) video game. havnt supported it since.

whoa, such a negative post for someone who started out defending positivity! :crazy:

BNB should not be swept into any comparison with phish. comparing music can always serve as a focal point of controversy, however in my personal opinion its like comparing the yankees to my tuesday night softball team.

I wasn't thinking that we were actually comparing BNB's music to Phish's music.....communication got crossed here.

For me that comment meant that BNB had the hype, the energy etc... in Canada that Phish had in the States. They were (are) the band!!! I don't necessarily think the music's the same (although there are moments) Wasn't a weekend that went by around that time that I didn't see BNB or wish I was seeing BNB.

You're right about comparing.....it's like comparing apples and oranges.......but I love 'em both!!

Edited by Guest

I agree the comparison is a bit daft but I think it means the energy etc. that was mentioned. Certainly say 7 or 8 years back when Kornblum was still in the band there was a whole lot of excitement every time that Burt came into Halifax. It may have been the naivete and innocence of the time but there seemed to be a lot more intensity and excitement surrounding their shows back then, also their own style has shifted towards songwriting and not epic mega jam sets.

you haven't seen Burt Neilson until you see them at The Ho, they wrote a song about her fer fack sakes.

exactly.. see, thats kinda the point i was getting at, i think the Ho is likely one of those places, im sure thunder bay has its own feel, too... certain rooms just add a certain vibe or quality to the air.. i dunno...

anyways, since the comparison was brought up, sure, of course the music is different between the 2 bands, but as others have suggested, i think the comparison was more the energy/vibe/popularity surrounding this band in canada vs. that band in the u.s.a. - which, i feel, given the scale of the 2 'scenes' north and south of the border, is a fair comparison. these guys have ruled in canada for a long time... and as far as crowds then vs. crowds now, fuck, all i gotta say is that anyone not seeing them RIGHT NOW is missing out HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!!!!!! they are unbelievably good these days.

man, i wish some of you guys could experience the burt's at call the office here in london. maybe because it's the first place i saw them, and the place i've seen them the most, so it has a special attachment to me, but im tellin ya, nothin' beats a Call The Office Burt show.

Guys, I'm not even a big fan of London, but Guigsy's so right. Every time I head to CTO for BNB I have one hell of a time. I find myself wondering how much better they can get. I took my cousin there for her first show in the spring. We were on the far right (Jeff's side) of the stage, beside the amp, dancing with Studog, ScottieKing, Guigs (when he wasn't off in the "deep end"), Keri and a bunch of other good folks. The amp was right beside her leg and at one point my cousin looks at me and says, "These dudes are going to vibrate my pants CLEAN OFF!!!" Any show she's been to since (outside of London) has paled in comparison. I've yet to see a (new) Burt's show as stellar as a London Burt's show. And I've yet to see an after party as fun as the one Guigsy hosts. Man, that is one sweet pad. ;)

BNB should not be swept into any comparison with phish...its like comparing the yankees to my tuesday night softball team.

Phish=Tuesday night softball team? :P

nah, it was back in the days of the Fat Cats/BNB double bills at the old La Luna that were The Shit. Those were golden days at a golden place with golden shows. I got so deep-fried all the time. It was great.

Then there was the odd Hamilton gigs at the Hungarian Community Centre and then the debacle at that loft at 16 Steven, where the cops shut it down two songs in.

yeah, those la luna shows were pretty sweet... i managed to catch a few of them circa '99... i remember one night they played the same night 311 played a gig at the opera house in toronto.. i hit 311, then back on the road to hamilton to catch burt, then had to drive a buddy back to mississauga so he could make it to class in the morning.. i had convinced him that burt would be worth it.. then i tried to make the drive back to london myself, around 5:30 - 6 in the a.m.... which turned into one of the scariest moments of my life: woke up with the nose of my car just about to go under the ass end of a transport truck right at the base of the hill going up the 403 Hamilton/Ancaster... had someone watchin' over me that night, for sure..... good times!