Jambands.ca

Needed- couple of computer parts (PC)

Davey Boy 2.0

So I've gotten the run-around from Dell, turns out my computer needs a new power supply- the cost you ask? $180+taxes+shipping. unreal (most generic power supplies cost $35, hoever this one's 'special').

So instead I'm very likely going to buy a new case, motherboard/CPU and RAM, just wondering whether or not anyone might have these things kicking around for relatively cheap.

I'm thnking something like a 1 gHz processor, maybe 256 or 512 RAM... anything would be considered- not a huge gamer or anything

(oh yeah and we'd need it relatively soon)

:crazy:

This is what I posted a while back...

Hi there,

I am selling a desktop computer; if you or anyone you know is interested, please let me know. It would be perfect for a kids computer, web-host / server, or for someone who needs something cheap. It is very stable due to the AMD processor, and I have never had any problems with it. All the components work perfectly, this computer is a great deal.

Specs:

* AMD Athlon 1.47 GHz PR1700 266 fsb Processor

* ECS K7SEM SiS730s cs ATA100 4xAGP wVid/Aud Motherboard

* At least 512MB RAM, possibly more, not sure

* Creative Labs OEM Live 5.1 Sound card and software

* LG CDR-W 48x16x48 CD Writer / Reader

* 422 ATX Long Mid Tower w/ 3 front USB

* 3 6-pin FireWire ports

* LG 8x CD/DVD+/- Reader / Writer

* High performance fan, power supply

There is no hard-drive in this system; hard-drive and operating system are not included and not available from me. Hard-drives are cheap these days though, and operating systems are pretty easy to find. I would like to sell this as a complete set-up, all to one person, to save me from the hassle of tearing it apart to sell components separately. If you are the lucky buyer, I will throw in an admittedly poor quality monitor and keyboard (if you want these items). All original component software and documentation will be included as well.

I would like to get around $300 for this set-up, but of course I can move on that price. The FireWire card alone is worth $90, and then there's the processor, motherboard, two burning drives, RAM... This is a great deal.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks

Alan

Fuck Dell. My work delivered a new Dell computer to me and they had to take away my ergonomic keyboad because Dell computers only accept Dell keyboards.

My wrists hurt already and it's been 2 weeks.

Good luck finding something Davey.

I'm using a new dell with the microsoft ergo keyboard. No problems at all.

hahahaha, i was about to post the same thing too... :) if you have the MS one, it works, in fact i don't think you even need the install software for it.

although, i spilled a nice creamy, sugary tea on mine and a few keys stopped working so i had to go back to the dell one, but amazingly i'm not finding it so bad, the keys have a good bounce to 'em.

anyway.

get on 'em ms. hux!!! if your other one wasn't a MS board & didn't work, make them buy you an MS. they will save themselves a lot of money in worker's comp. & such if you get tendonitis!

i have been fixing computers for friends & family ever since the dark days of windows 95, and i can't say enough bad things about Dell. most "name brand" computers are a bit finicky, but jesus, dells are mental. the card bay is way shorter than a standard pc, meaning that if you use a non-dell anything (sound, video, network, modem) that there's an extra degree of mechanical fuckery required to get the damn thing to stay in. they also thought that making their own version of PCI that looked just like PCI, and if i recall correctly would accept a PCI card, was a good idea. i'm totally unsurprised that their replacement power supply is "special" and costs 6 times what a standard one does.

i'd rather have a bout with teenage acne than go anywhere near another dell...unless i happen to be holding a very large magnet or an equally impressive axe.

and mental note, never get on sharon's bad side :)

get a mac :)

somehow I doubt severely that the power supply is a "special" one..

open it up and take it out.. then take it to a computer store.. ask for a new one just like it.. probably get one for like 50 bucks..

or attempt to fix it.. if you can get all the specs and have a multimeter and a soldering iron lying around.

I hate dell..

the pin setup is different- it wouldn't plug in if i went ahead and bought a regular ATX type power supply. i did in fact take it to a comuter store then called around town to see if anyone had a spare used one kicking around, no luck at all

no multimeter or soldering iron either...

anyway it's the last time i buy a Dell fo sho

somehow I doubt severely that the power supply is a "special" one..

open it up and take it out.. then take it to a computer store.. ask for a new one just like it.. probably get one for like 50 bucks..

or attempt to fix it.. if you can get all the specs and have a multimeter and a soldering iron lying around.

I hate dell..

dell is just evil enough to use their own proprietary power connectors. nothing that a soldering iron and a multimeter can't fix, even better, avoid dell :)

Just want to throw out another plug for Peach computers. I ended up there looking for a power supply for an old P2. Every other single store I went to told me that they don't even make that style of power supply anymore. So I was very happy when the salesman at Peach not only told me they had BRAND NEW PRODUCT in stock but that he'd also wrangle one out of an old case and sell it to me for $15 (new was $30).

After this experience I can't recommend the store enough for spare parts. They are on O'Connor near Laurier.