Jambands.ca

If you could change one thing about yourself...

shainhouse

What would it be?

That's a tough question personally, because my list is long and filled with addendums. I definitely wish I would be more active and less lazy about going to the gym. The intentions are definitely there, but I suck at turning intentions into actually going. That's just one of many.

anyone else? I'm in a reflective Friday mood. Lazlo should be able to write a book on this subject.

I guess the thing about myself that I want to change the most is my need for routine, stability and my bi-weekly pay cheque.

Those keep me chained to a Management, desk job that I don't particularly like. If I wasn't here though I'd just be in a different Monday to Friday job.

This insane work pattern and/or need for a certain amount of money actually prevent me from doing the things I would like to do (ie. travel).

It's about time I change the colour of my toe nails too.

I struggle with this on a daily basis, but don't know how to break the mold.

I guess the thing about myself that I want to change the most is my need for routine, stability and my bi-weekly pay cheque.

Those keep me chained to a Management, desk job that I don't particularly like. If I wasn't here though I'd just be in a different Monday to Friday job.

This insane work pattern and/or need for a certain amount of money actually prevent me from doing the things I would like to do (ie. travel).

It's about time I change the colour of my toe nails too.

I struggle with this on a daily basis, but don't know how to break the mold.

I think it was Sir Walter Scott (dude that went to the Artic in the 19th century, ate his sled dogs to survive, IIRC) who espoused the 'Burn your Bridges' philosophy.

Might be a good way to start, as long as you lay some foundations for change... I see the bridge burning as a kind of goal- do what you can to prepare for change then when you're ready, tell your boss to __________ [fill in the blank]

Pretty ironic, coming from me at this point in time actually

I think it was Sir Walter Scott (dude that went to the Artic in the 19th century, ate his sled dogs to survive, IIRC) who espoused the 'Burn your Bridges' philosophy.

I also heard an adage: "Don't burn your bridges behind you, unless you can walk on water."

A guy I worked with quit, and "burned his bridges" by telling off those he was leaving behind. It turns out the guy who had hired him for his new position had lied to him, and the job was terrible, and not what he could live with, so he quit, and tried to get back to where he was. Uh-uh, no dice, couldn't be made to happen. The moral: be careful.

Aloha,

Brad

that's interesting to me because i am totally the opposite.

i decided over the past year or so that i really want to live in one place for a while, stay at a job, have a circle of friends, etc.

i always seem to take off somewhere. i like that because it keeps things fun and exciting, but i always end up feeling disconnected.

i'm hoping to change that in ottawa.

:)

(ps. maybe we can exchange notes!)

Edited by Guest