Jambands.ca

Best City in the World to Live In

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Just heard this on CTV - The Economist puts Vancouver at no. 1.

Agreed? Never seen the place. All I know is that they have mountains, sea, and a bunch of junkies at some hotly debated place downtown. And everybody who's ever been there says I should see it.

I'm kinda liking Osgoode (ON), right now, but I wonder what people think. I've always been big on Kingston (ON), myself, but also know it's what you make of a place.

agreed vancouver is pretty sweet. i like ottawa too though. nice peeps here.

:)

definitely worth spending some time there. it's beautiful. and the asian food is much, much better. YUM! i'm going next week!

:D

p.s. hard city to find a good job in though!

Edited by Guest

Guest Low Roller

I find the cost of living in Vancouver to be way too high. I'm surprised that Toronto made the list given that it has the highest odds in Canada for being caught in a drive-by shooting.

Vancouver has access to everything I want in my own life, but its just another city... There isn't really anything but physical geography that makes it a cool place.

Ironically, that same geography creates an atrocious air-pollution situation. If you look down on Van from one of the north shore mountains you can see an orange haze sitting over the whole city.

Singapore is unreal if you want to live in S.E. Asia. Clean, safe, best food on earth (IMHO) and super easy to travel to any of the more visually inspiring countries nearby.

Annecy France is the most beautiful city I've ever seen. Period.

There isn't really anything but physical geography that makes it a cool place.

i don't think that's true...it's very multi-cultural, which i think is very cool, and there are lots of good places to hang out, and nice people there as well. it's more laid back. plus, i think geography/climate are important! yes it's rainy but you don't turn into a popsicle when you go outside in the winter ;)

(although i for one like snow and winter)

i like ottawa because it's also pretty, the canal makes up somewhat for no ocean, and spring is glorious (fall seeming to be pretty awesome too so far!) and the architecture is much nicer than out west. and so is the music :) all it needs is a few big mountains!

Annecy France is the most beautiful city I've ever seen. Period.

I ended up in Annecy a few years ago after a wandering train ride that stopped there... It was nice, not the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen though. That big 'mountain' across the lake is pretty cool. Sucks how the hostel there is at the top of the other giant hill.

Seems very touristy.

AD

I actually think that Ottawa is a nicer city than Vancouver. Great people in Ottawa, natural beauty abounds, access to the wilderness is easier than in Van, and loads of cool cultural activities with all the fed $ poured in.

I like the actual outdoor activities of Van better. Architecturally, though, I think Van is an unfortunate mix of deteriorating colonial (cedar), unfortunate condos (poor building) and wannabe mediteranian (stucco).

There are cool places to go in Van, but for a city that size I think its pretty limited. Nightlife in Van is a bit on the slow side. Again, for a city that size I don't think the music scene is as vibrant as one would hope for. There are little gems but its got 3m ppl - it should be chock-full of amazing music.

I've found really great people to hang with everywhere I've ever gone, so I can't distinguish places by that one.

The city that intrigues me most at the moment is Buenos Aires. Never been there but I think Argentina sounds like a real winner to go an play.

Edited by Guest
stupidity

3m ppl....does that mean 3 million people?

i don't believe that!

plus, it's all spread out into suburbs and stuff as well, the downtown area is small, like ottawa.

i just realized that i haven't lived there for some years now (not since 98 but with a 6 month stint in the suburbs in 2000) so i may not know what i'm talking about anymore ;) i guess i'm more nostalgic than objective on this topic.

Edited by Guest

I absolutely LOVE living in Ottawa (okay Hull).

- Beautiful lanscape and architecture. I pass by Parliament Hill almost every day and it still Wows me. The Canal, Ottawa River and the Gatineau Hills are stunning.

- It's clean and green.

- Great people. I'm not just talking about the amazing group of people I call my friends here, but compared to living in Toronto I find the general public kinder and more patient.

- Size. It's large enough to have everything you might need and then some, but small enough that you can still get to work in under 15 minutes and pretty much everything is within biking distance.

- Location. Close to Toronto, Montreal, Vermont and upstate New York.

- Location. Far enough from my family that I don't have to get involved in family politics. When I visit it's a treat. :)

I'm heading to my favourite city in a few minutes - just 2 1/2 hours east of Toronto on the 401.

I remain especially fond of Kingston' date=' though I expect it's evolve considerably from when I lived there.[/quote']

Actually, Mayor Rosen is doing his best to devolve the city through his love affair with box-stores. Still, the downtown is vibrant whereas most if not all city cores of a similar size in Ontario are dead or dying.

The Mercenary says Rio is the best.

In spite of its charms, I find Kingston too white, too pretentious, and too rife with petty municipal politics. It's a nice place to stop for lunch.

Montreal is okay. It would be much improved if the people here would learn to drive rather than simply aiming and accelerating. It would be nice if certain Francophones could learn to indicate *politely* that they don't speak English, and if shoving weren't the generally accepted way of indicating a desire to go past someone. In a nutshell, the culture of supreme self-entitlement needs a good wallop.