Jambands.ca

AUTORICKSHAW ARE SOOOOO GOOD!!!

kc

I love these guys also. The weirdest thing is that Ed Hanley the tabla player is the son of my Pediatrician growing up, and my brothers and my little sister. Like all those times I had to get a needle or drop trow there was a picture of Ed with a tabla staring at me. There sound has definitely evolved over time. Suba is very unique in her limited field. Studied in jazz and Indian traditions. Kiran Ahluwalia is another highly skilled vocalist of her acquaintance and a similar lineage. Rich Brown the bass player is a total monster, I find him very Wootronic in his stylings and the drummer I always get his name wrong but it's Debashi I think- he drops the breakbeats here and there, more increasingly. Can't say enough good about them, what's this Breit action that sounds too much to be true.

My friend Chris Cawthray used to take drum lessons from Suba's dad Trichy Sankaran, he' a prof at York I believe. One day he told me Trichy had asked him if he new anything about this guy named mickey hart and his band the grateful dead.

Trichy was apparently being contacted by Mickey's people to try and arrange a meeting to talk shop.

Trichy had no idea who he was and just happened to ask Chris if he had heard of him. Chris was quite the head back then and was able to inform him fully. I think mickey was going to try and see him when the dead were coming up to play the skydome. Needless to say, he didn't come up. I wich I knew if they ever hooked up since. I guess I can ask Suba on Saturday though.

Funny that Kevin came out with autorickshaw, he's actually playing pjc the next night, sunday with folk alarm.

Heh.

Awesome band == can really jam, too, as a workshop at Hillside a few years back proved when they were thrown together with a straight-ahead bluegrassy/county group.

the resulting band jokingly named themselves:

1) Cowboys & Indians; and/or

2) Country & Eastern

WHERE DID BREIT PLAY WITH THEM?????

that afternoon at hillside was my first exposure to them...what a groove, and the singer knocked my socks off! if you can get there, go. they are awesome.