Jambands.ca

and your head is spinning from the sound of 12 loud guitars...

phorbesie

just got in from a thoroughly enjoyable evening at moe./mule last night.

f*ck i love the commodore. and moe. ;)

i was running late and showed up just as govt. mule started. i immediately found my buddies and was psyched for a great evening beginning....

i hadn't seen mule since 98 and wasn't all that impressed with them last night. i love southern rock, and i love warren as much as anybody, but the songs all sounded the same to me and warren's solos were pretty flat (imo). the tune i enjoyed most from that set was 'leave your light on', it was smokin. my friend marsha loved the mule though (first time seeing them) so that was great.

parked myself in front of chuck for pretty much the whole moe. set. good decision, chuck was fun to watch last night and i was right there for the antics with franklin ? (didn't catch name) from tesla joining them on a few songs. he was rockin out, i loved it. he was dancing like a madman sidestage for the rest of the show too.

not a lot of percussion last night, which i usually enjoy so much, just lots of energy and guitar. it was fun. not the best moe. show i've ever seen, but a good time.

retired to friends' place to laugh and drink until the wee hours. i was jet-lagged and too tired to drive home until now.

the only bummer of the evening was not meeting stone mountain. f*ck!!! i really looked for you and tried shouting your name a couple times but it was too loud and dark in there. i don't know why i thought it would be easy to find you, i was counting on easy magic i guess but no luck. :( bummer.

good times and great to be back in V-town

:)

did i mention my ears got blown off? well, they did. so so loud up there. loved it!

oh another side note...dude dancing next to me was that wookie guy stapes brought home after BNB last time...funny. smelly.

Edited by Guest

I also lament not meeting you phorbesie. I'm still hoping it'll happen before you head back east.

I also found the Mule set a bit lacking lustre. I never was a big fan, anyway, and the last time I saw them had to be ten years ago. I won't be rushing out to see them again. My one positive comment is that, at least, they've turned down the volume since I last damaged my hearing at their Toronto show!

I thought moe. was alright, but I also hadn't seen them in nearly a decade, and really don't listen to them anymore. I imagine that if I was more familiar with anything they've written since No Doy, I'd have appreciated the show better. I really enjoyed "Mexico", though, and that Tesla guy was definitely a kick in his own way. (I find those hair-band-pseudo-metal-guys to always be caricatures of themselves; gotta love that.)

I'm glad I went. I wasn't blown away by a long shot.

setlist fyi...

Set I: 32 Things, Water> Big World, Sweet Emotion1, Hi and Lo> Kyle's Song, Blue Jeans and Pizza, She> Mexico

Encore: Fire1

1 w/ Frank Hannon of Tesla

i just took a look at the setlists from seattle and portland shows...those looked great.

i think at some point in high school i listened to tesla...but i can't think of a single song by them.

I am so glad to have been at home last night considering that I'd have been seriously pissed off from a less than great show.

I rarely see poor reviews from shows i think are good, and more often than not see great reviews from shows that i've felt like I wasted my time being at.

the week has been good for me. Hope to be at the commodore soon enough!

i wish there was a more impressive balcony at the commodore like an ornate theatre or le cabaret in montreal.

it's more long than high. a nice change i guess.

I want to catch the roots and stars there in the upcoming months. other than that, richard's on richards has some great acts coming. I'm looking forward to checking that place out.

I do appreciate the encouragement to be there; truly.

Unfortunately, though the way that highway closures work on the Sea-to-Sky Highway means that if I went to this I'd have to wait for the highway to open back up at 6:00 am in order to get back to Whistler. That ought to get me home in just enough time to sleep nearly a solid hour before work. (The only reason I could pull off moe./Mule was due to the early start and finish times, which allowed me to sneak through the road closures north of Squamish during the short break between 2 and 3 am.)

I can't do it. (My clients prefer my brain to work when I'm handling matters for them.)

(Kick Kick Kick) "Ouch!"

The snow is creeping down the slopes on the trees, almost to Village level, and we've had two bouts of freezing rain already.

It's shaping up to be a stellar year. Woo hoo!

(Apparently, in all of recorded history Whistler has never had two bad snow years in a row, so we should be in the clear for this year.)

Book your plane ticket now AD!