Jambands.ca

R.I.P. Le Swimming

Blane

Ok, not to be completely nasty, but a month ago when the Slip played at Swimming I swore it was the final straw. Little did I know, it actually was. THe swimming was sold last week and is being turned into a lounge of some lower St. Laurent sort.

In spite of my hatred for seeing shows there, it managed to offer live music 6 nights a week for years on end and I salute it for that. May the bands that played there play much better places in gigs to come...

Swimming holds a special place for me. The venue introduced me to live music in Montreal during my Freshman year at McGill, and I honestly was there at least once or twice a week.

For Vanderpark it was a place we always wanted to play on a weekend. Initially we were restricted to Mondays and Tuesdays, but eventually we worked up our way to headlining weekend spots for the past couple of years.

It meant a lot for a couple of us in the group, because one of the other guys went to Concordia so we'd hang out there a lot. I remember seeing some killer shows there: The Slip, BNB, JSB, GTB, The Trews, among countless other stellar montreal funk/dance acts.

The sale of the venue was improptu, and from what I understand (we had our November 4th show there instantly cancelled) they are turning it into one of those trendy Montreal lounges. Book frickin' urns.

I was in Montreal last wednesday where they had their last "skinnidip" (for those who don't know, SkinniDip was the venues biggest money maker...every wednesday night they'd pack the place with scantily clad university kids and play crappy hip hop...interestingly enough, it was their only non live-music night...). Some friends of mine wanted to go, just "one last time", but I refused to go...I really couldn't allow myself to go to le swimming for a night of what they're turning the club into. It just didn't sit right.

Though Swimming wasn't (I guess i can use past tense now) the best live music venue in Montreal, there was something about it that people knew that they could walk in any night of the week (except wednesdays) and hear a good band. There needs to be more places like that around.

So RIP Swimming, thanks for the memories, the rockin' outs, and good times.

I'll miss the naughty website. Only made it there once or twice and didn't think it was a great live room, though I understand its place in the hearts of Montreal...ians. Is that what they call themselves?

Always a bummer when a live room closes, in any event. What other rooms are there in town, Boochawan?

Too bad another live music place has bitten dust.

I wouldn't worry about that. THe simple fact is that montreal probably has too many venues in the 150-300 person range. I can think of at least 10 in the general "plateau" area just off the top of my head. It's not that big of a city, so the less popular ones will have a tough time.

As an aside. Cafe Campus' small venue downstairs "Le Petit Campus" is freshly renovated and is apparently pretty nice. Haven't checked it out yet.

I wouldn't worry about that. THe simple fact is that montreal probably has too many venues in the 150-300 person range. I can think of at least 10 in the general "plateau" area just off the top of my head. It's not that big of a city, so the less popular ones will have a tough time.

can you loan Ottawa some? we don't have many anymore

What other rooms are there in town, Boochawan?

As mentioned above, there is Petit Campus (saw the Slip there) and Cafe Campus (saw moe. there)...Cafe Campus is a little bigger though. For the smaller venues there is La Salle Vert (Green Room) which is right next to Mile End Bar...saw JSB there...There is Club One which is a dingy little place on Crescent, but holds many fond memories for the band (and a fish tank upon entering)...and favorites are defenitly La Salla Rosa, Casa Del Popolo and my new (last year) favorite, the co-operative Le Divan Orange (the orange sofa).

Montreal has it's fair share comparison of Toronto's "Opera House-sized" venues, with Club Soda, Metropolis, Le Medley (we played with Little Feat there), and Spectrum.