Jambands.ca

Ithaca is Gorges

guigsy

ahh, what a great time Ithaca was! a beautiful city, great eats, scenery up the wazoo, an awesome host in BennyD, 17 waterfalls, and of course, The Slip.

set I:

moderate threat > cowboy up

soft machine

i hate love*

paper birds

something learned

even rats

sorry

set II:

december's children

get me with fuji

sometimes true to nothing

new song ?

new song (white soda?)

encore:

proud

if one of us should fall

*w/ "knick knack paddywack" harmonica solo by brad

highlights for me were a nasty, nasty, NASTY fuji, a really huge STTN, and the last 3rd of cowboy up, which was quite honestly dirty as hell. after brad got into what i considered to be the 2nd part of his slide part, i thought it took off from there. it was nice to hear something learned, cuz i havent got that one live before and its a song i really like - they rocked it out. and i hate love was a stand-out, too - brad's vocals were right on all night, but they were particularly good during this one. friedman was a beast all night - just a fucking monster. that guy gets so fucking heavy, just a treat to watch, listen to, and feel rumble inside you.

other highlights of the trip included the guacamole/cheddar omelete i had this morning, its too bad it was so damn big i couldnt finish it. getting to hang out with bennyd and seneca for a couple days - dude, that pup kicks ass! thanks again for the floorspace. taking a friend on her first road trip/show experience and seeing how much she dug it. all the fucking waterfalls!! holy shit!! what a gorgeous area!

and, the nero quotient....

so, on the way down my friend randomly pulls out a nero disc from my cd case for something she'd never heard of - and i thought that was funny cuz we were headed to benny's place, and there's a nero connection there - so thats one.

two, as we're listenin' to 12.10.04 (the lanc) im thinkin, maybe he's got Soon and i could give it a listen, cuz i never have, but some of the talk around here lately has really sparked my interest.. so once we're there and we're headed out for dinner, i open the door to get into his truck and what falls outta the passenger seat onto the ground at my feet? a copy of Nero's Soon.

three, we're back after dinner gettin primed for the show, now listening to Soon, and one of benny's friends asks who we're listening to, we respond Nero, and he goes "oh, nero, like these guys?" and unzips his sweater jacket to reaveal his nero t-shirt and tells us he doesnt even know where the shirt came from.

there ya go, boys, i thought that was pretty funny..

anyways, all in all, a great time - lookin' forward to next time.

now listening to Soon, and one of benny's friends asks who we're listening to, we respond Nero, and he goes "oh, nero, like these guys?" and unzips his sweater jacket to reaveal his nero t-shirt and tells us he doesnt even know where the shirt came from.

there ya go, boys, i thought that was pretty funny..

If that isn't a sign from the innerworkings of our reality, I don't know what is.

I am a geek... because I wished Guigsy would have stayed for the weekend and met us in Portland.

2005/10/29

Portland, ME

The Big Easy

Set 1:

Spooktacular intro jam (Marc on ukulele, ~ 13 minutes long) >

Soft Machine

Even Rats

Yellow Medicine

Wine and White Soda

I Hate Love

Moderate Threat >

Cowboy Up (my notes say "extra nasty") >

Suffocation Keep

Poor Boy

Children of December ("Marc wahs while Brad climbs")

Encore:

Alsoa (by request)

- Brad wore a leopard print tank-top and feather boa, Marc wore frog ears and a mini-skirt, Andrew wore goggles.

- total set time 118 minutes

A bit of an inconsistent show, I felt like it may have been an off-night for the band. The "Yellow Medicine" (not played since last NYE) was an easy prediction for Halloween and was outstanding, especially the middle solo sections (Marc was on fire all night). Cowboy Up was HUGE. Freidman was getting an absolutely nasty, distorted bass tone and playing with a pick. Andrew was having some trouble keeping his electronics balanced and his sampler/looper took a mighty fall during this song. Brad took harmonica, doll head and patch chord solos (you had to be there). Suffocation Keep was another highlight, with a really good build of intensity at the end. Alsoa was an unexpected treat to close, and stole the show. Marc put on a bass clinic with ripping arpeggios.

A very sparse crowd (maybe 100 – 120) for a Halloween show. I guess I should call it intimate. Team NB (aka Team Zissou for the night) was 15 strong and threw down all night. As has become the norm, The Slip had no merch with them other than posters for the previous night’s show (WTF?). This band needs to get it together on the business side. It’s sad to see them play, underappreciated, in such a small room. And I watched fans walk away with fistfulls of cash because there was no merchandise to buy.

Portland, Maine is a fantastic town. Downtown reminds me of (a bigger) Burlington, VT. Bullmoose music gets a big thumbs up from me. As does the Fairfield’s continental breakfast. Make-your-own waffles baby!

Funny Guigs, I was wearing a Nero shirt yesterday too...

hahah, i wish i coulda stayed for the weekend and met up with you guys, too... i bet Team Zissou had a boatload of fun... any pics??

thanks for the little show review... sounded like they had some trouble at the beginning of cowboy up in ithaca, too, only on brad's end... marc was shooting him these death glares... mind bullets... that could kill a yak... from 200 yards away...

posters from the night before doesnt make any sense at all... maybe they're saving all the merch for the first west coast smmd run? perhaps expecting bigger and better things out of that tour? i dunno, none of it really adds up...

but hey, yellow medicine and alsoa are nice treats on any night, tossed in with the regular rockers... glad you guys had a good time...

damn, they gotta do another canadian run soon.