Jambands.ca

x

Joan

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And I recorded at the 13 Engines drummer's studio in Kingston. Yes, I'm pretty sure they were all anti-establishment guys.

Heheh, Grant and 13 Engines played at my highschool once, they soundchecked during one of our basketball practices. He came out and played with us, boy could he shoot the 3-ball. Critchley sucked balls though.

As for politics, i think I heard today that the Block and PCs won't put forth confidence motions in their opposition days because they think Layton is bluffing. They will wait to see if Layton will table one before voting on the vivacity of the government. Yes. Vivacity

AD

It doesn't really matter when the election takes place, as by the time people walk in that voting booth the question will revolve around three words:

Prime Minister Harper.

HA! HA! HA!

That was the funniest thing I have read in a long long time. Damn, I'm still laughing to myself as I read it again.

Tim

bring on the election...

anyone who wouldn't get off their ass and vote on aNY day of the year should get kicked the fuck out. your going on holiday? vote beforehand.

if people wouldn't vote because they were too busy opening presents and eating turkey they don't deserve the vote and should be tossed the fuck out. if we can't say merry christmas because it might offend one of the several minorities we have here, why the hell does christmas play into when we call a vote?

quit fucking stalling. call the vote.

edit to add: "prime minister harper" hahaha that sounds funny to me cause i think of someone announcing Del as prime minister

Edited by Guest

I don't know where my vote is going or where my loyalties lie, but what about 'Corruption. Greed. Ethics.'?

AD

We had an election on that last June, and technically the 2000 election was about that as well (remember Shawinigate?), in fact the Conservatives would like every election to be about that. People should really just look beyond what they're being spoon-fed by the media, and base their votes exclusively on info provided by me.

I'm personally a little disapointed that the Liberal Party has joined the Conservative Party in their - erm - lack of opposition to the increasing privatization of healthcare, despite the desires of the overwhelming majority of Canadians.

There's no chance of a CPC majority win, and a CPC minority wouldn't last at all. Who would support them in the house? The BQ has teamed with them only insofar as taking down the Liberals go - but they have no ideological common ground. The only party that has much of anything in common with the Conservatives are the Liberals, but there's no way those two parties are going to work together.

Whether the Liberals win or the Conservatives win the next election, the end result is going to be the same. A (probably minority) Liberal government with a slightly different seat distribution than what we have now.

Full statement here

This is a pretty unusual solution to the problem, but calls Harper on his bluff. Harper has been saying in the last couple days that he won't bring forward a motion on his own and yet also that he won't be willing to vote against the government on Dec. 8. This will be the last election Harper faces before his party gives him the boot, and I'm sure he knows it.

SugarMegs, do you know how this can be accomplished in terms of parliamentary procedure? That part isn't clear to me. AFAIK nothing like this has been done before ...

I suspect that this particular election timing, if the other opposition parties support the motion, will actually work out well for Martin and the LPC in the end.

And Jack back peddles......

Harper and the Bloc actually played this one right and took away the NDP's bargaining power by forcing the NDP to table a confidence motion themselves.

They won't, for fear of being labled as the party that forced an xmas election, and killed legislation and initiatives coming down the tube this fall....now they are basically proposing what Martin set out months ago, an election after the 2nd Gomery report Feb. 1st.

If any of the opposition parties truly wanted to bring down the Gov't, they would do it next week.

So much for the "outrage"...hehe...

....ah, and a non-confidence motion is exactly that, it expresses non-confidence in the Gov't and Parliament dissolves immediately....there is no such thing as a confidence motion that allows the Gov't just declared to not have confidence to govern for a few more weeks, and one in January.

The NDP's motion cannot be a confidence motion if it is their intention for the House to continue sitting.

edit: and a motion cannot determine election timing, it's up to the PM.

Edited by Guest

I see it more as Jack responding to Harper's backpeddling. For all his bleating and bluster, the last thing he has really wanted is an election.

So he pretends that he can't bring forward a confidence motion on his own, because somehow it would be devastating if he didn't get the support of the NDP. Umm, it is conventional behaviour for the official opposition party to bring forward motions of non-confidence at every opportunity, even in majority government situations where they have no chance of succeeding. He's stalling.

Then he says he won't necessarily support a non-confidence motion brought forward by the NDP, right after saying it is up to the NDP to bring one forward, because he doesn't want a Xmas election. This after saying it was unforgivable to leave the 'corrupt Liberals' with their 'culture of entitlement' in power under any circumstances at all. He's stalling and he's scared.

Then he says he won't vote against the government on Dec. 8th, because he likes some of the spending initiatives. This after crying foul since spring that the NDP was 'propping up the Liberals'. Who's propping them up now? He's stalling, he's scared, and he's dishonest.

There weren't too many ways left for Layton to call "bullshit", as far as I can tell.

This may be the first time I've ever wanted to see Harper on television, but I'm curious to see how he responds. He's running out of wiggle room. I wouldn't be surprised to see him peddling backwards so fast that the wheels fall off.

Yeah, seems it won't be a proper confidence motion at all. As you say, it couldn't be one given what its trying to accomplish, because Parliament would dissolve right away. The government won't actually be bound by it, but it may be difficult, public opinion wise, to ignore it if it gets the support of the majority of the house.

[edit:] It is indeed up to the PM to go to the GG after a successful vote of non-confidence to set the election timing. But this isn't that. Either way, it will be up to the PM because this simply calls on him to call an election in January. As pissed as he may be about being pressured to call an election earlier than his planned schedule though, I still think this whole thing will work in his favour anyways. Layton knows the result of the next election is a Liberal win - but it will be the death knell of Harper's political career, and someone like MacKay should be a whole lot easier for everyone to work with.

Edited by Guest

I also think the sleeper issue in the coming campaign will be the merits of a minority gov't, before the last election people thought it would be an ideal situation, I've seen some recent polls where the sentiment out there is changing, all this political maneuvering only adds gas to that fire.

Maybe Stephen will get a majority!!! Hooray!!! free bus passes for all heterosexuals!!!

SOS.jpg