Jambands.ca

Playboy After Dark Compilation DVD

Esau

Ok, so I have one copy of this to part with.As said in the other DVD give-away, I don't have a DVD burner here so I'm not interested in trades or B&Ps.

No text info came with this, but heres a brief description of the show.

[color:red]Playboy After Dark

This was an hour-long show that ran on network TV (!) from July 1968 to May 1970. The ever hip and debonair Hef surrounded himself with a bunch of attractive young pseudo-sophisticates, salted each week with a variety of personalities ranging from Milton Berle to Mort Sahl, Sid Caesar to Lenny Bruce, Roman Polanski (and Sharon Tate) to Paul Mazursky. There was also some amazing music.

Here's a description of the show by Chris Rywalt (http://www.teevee.org/archive/2000/05/17/)

"The camera moved lazily across a room where a party was going on. A party unlike any party I had ever seen, on film or otherwise. People chatted in small groups. Everyone had a drink in their hand. Blacks and whites mingled freely. Almost everyone was smoking. Quiet jazz filled the room. Everyone was dressed stylishly and with care. Everyone looked attractive in a comfortable way. No one looked like a model -- the guests all just looked like handsome, pleasant people. The light was soft, yellowish, and diffuse.

"The camera wandered past the guests, stopping here and there and catching fragments of their conversation. The camera rolled along very slowly. Amazingly slowly. [snip]

"Later in the show, the camera panned along and encountered a band. They were playing jazz. Gradually, as the camera didn't move, it became apparent that this was a featured band, performing for the show.

"And all of After Dark was like this. Long, languorous camera shots, lingering on details, while an incredibly civilized party went on, with everyone drinking and smoking and grooving to the music. And occasionally one of the guests would turn out to be someone with a talent, who would graciously agree to share some of it with us."

Heres a track listing I put together using this site:

http://www.tv.com/playboy-after-dark/show/1787/episode_listings.html

All dates are the day it was recorded, not aired.

[color:red]1. Deep Purple [1968-10-23]

And The Address

Hush

[color:red]2. Iron Butterfly [1968-08-08]

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

[color:red]3. Taj Mahal [1968-10-16]

Everybody's Got To Change Sometime

Easy Rider Blues

[color:red]4. B.B. King [1970-04-15]

So Excited

The Thrill Is Gone

[color:red]5. Canned Heat [1969-01-20]

Turpentine Moan (fades in)

Interview

On The Road Again

[color:red]6. Linda Ronstadt [1970-04-16]

Lovesick Blues

Long Long Time

[color:red]7. Byrds [1968-09-28]

You Ain't Going Nowhere

This Wheel's On Fire

[color:red]8. Sir Douglas Quintet [1969-01-25]

Mendocino

She's About A Mover

[color:red]9. Steppenwolf [1969-12-17]

Berry Rides Again

Monster

From Here To There Eventually

[color:red]10. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band [1968-12-11]

Washington at Valley Forge

Alligator Man

[color:red]11. Grateful Dead [1969-01-18]

Mountains Of The Moon

St. Stephen

[color:red]12. Fleetwood Mac [1970-01-08]

Rattlesnake Shake

[color:red]13. Ike & Tina Turner Revue [1969-12-03]

I Wanna Take Ya Higher

Come Together

Proud Mary

[color:red]14. Country Joe & The Fish [1970-04-16]

Sing Sing Sing

The Fish Cheer

I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin'-To-Die Rag

If you were able to get one of the four DSOTR DVDs I gave away please let someone else go for this.

Cheers, first reply to this post gets it, will send out later today.

No problem, my pleasure.

Got this along with DSTOR & Rolling Stones Knebworth Fair 1976 DVDs in the mail the other week & wanted to keep the freebie karma going, so I had some copies made.Hopefully I'll get a chance in the next week or three to make copies of the Stones DVDs to pass along also.

Cheers

Wish I was on this one quicker - I saw some of this compilation at a video night I was at, specifically the stellar Peter Green footage, and it was all top quality and very cool. I really like Hugh Hefner too, and admire him for the reality that he's made his life, and his cutting-edge ideas. Now there's a cat who should live forever.

Well, I have had several requests for copies of this today, as well a few others.If I can get to some burning this weekend I'll make some more copies, sunday more then likely will be my free day.I'll see what I can do about grabbing some blank DVDs this week & figure somthing out.

Mulemomma, I haven't seen the Peter Green footage so I'm assuming there is another compilation out there, if you know who to a copy I'd be very interested in grabbing it.

I had a VHS compilation of stuff from Playboy After Dark that also has Fleetwoood mac and Grand Funk Railroad on it pus most of the other stuff mentioned. I no longer have a VHS machine, so if I still have it, I would gladly donate it to someone that would be willing to convert it to DVD and seed others.

Same goes for my GD Copenhagen 72 tv broadcast. I'd prefer to try annd get these to someone in Hamilton though.

I once had the entire Grateful Dead episode on VHS. It is absolutely hilarious because the band - and presumably at least some of the extras - are totally loaded on LSD (the coffee machine had been spiked, no joke). Dig Bobby sitting surrounded by Bunnies, applauding Garcia after "Mountains Of The Moon" as though he had never seen this man before. Dig Garcia's tiny little slits of eyeballs as he is being interviewed by Heff, holding onto a half-wall to maintain balance. Dig the end credits, wherein a man who may or may not be the Rev Jesse Jackson GETS THE FUCK DOWN to a smokin "Lovelight".

That whole episode is awesome, should any of you ever find it or get the chance to see it. Even Woody Allen makes an appearance.