Jambands.ca

So you liked Jimmy Herring in Phil's band - SORRY!!!!!!!

Hux

I'm a herring fan, it's a shame. I still like the fact that Phil is so open to changing line-ups and keeping the ball rolling so to speak. What I don't like is Warren Haynes. I feel like he makes Phil and friends sound too much like the Allman Bros. at times. A little overbearing. Other than that, no complaints from the peanut gallery.

I'm completely fine with that, I have seen Larry Campbell in Bob Dylan's band twenty times and Campbell is a fantastic player, he can also play many different instruments like pedal steel, banjo, violin and much more.

The Phil Lesh & Friends show could be more diversified because of his addition.

Tim

This is what Phil Lesh says about the subject.

Tim

Last Update: November 8, 2005

An Announcement from Phil Lesh:

Last year, I promised to bring back the original concept of Phil Lesh &

Friends: bringing in different musicians to provide fresh perspectives on the music. I had originally planned to mix up the lineup after New Years- but it turns out that, in order to take advantage of other musical opportunities that have come his way, Jimmy Herring will now be moving on a little earlier. I¹m sure that his new musical experiences will result in further growth, which is vital to a musician.

Larry Campbell will be replacing Jimmy with Phil & Friends. Larry is a veteran of Bob Dylan¹s great band, and one of the premier guitarists and multi-instrumentalists of the age. One of the great joys of music making is to be challenged and inspired by a wide range of artistic visions. I look forward to Larry¹s joining the long line of influences and inspirations that have contributed not only to the music itself, but also to my personal musical development.

- Phil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"he can also play many different instruments like pedal steel, banjo, violin and much more"

whoa

yeah man, Larry's really good player.

But if you think about it, Dylan usually always has a great guitar player working for him,some that come to mind from the past...

T Bone Burnett

Robbie Robertson

Mike Bloomfield

Tony Garnier

Bucky Baxter

Charlie Sexton

Larry will be a nice addition to Phil & Friends in my opinion.

[edit]

Tony Garnier actually played bass not guitar...do'h

Edited by Guest

"he can also play many different instruments like pedal steel' date=' banjo, violin and much more"

whoa[/quote']

yeah man, Larry's really good player.

But if you think about it, Dylan usually always has a great guitar player working for him,some that come to mind from the past...

T Bone Burnett

Robbie Robertson

Mike Bloomfield

Tony Garnier

Bucky Baxter

Charlie Sexton

Larry will be a nice addition to Phil & Friends in my opinion.

Hey Esau,

You know I won't argue with that.

The best Bob Dylan gigs I have seen since I started seeing Dylan in 1995 have been the gigs where Charlie Sexton was with Larry Campbell, I wonder if Dylan will have a better combination of guitarists again?

Tim

Yeah, they were a great combo live thats for sure, the Bucky/Larry combo I really enjoyed also, probally just as much actually, Montreal 1997 always comes to mind.

I have mixed feelings for the late eighties G.E Smith/Cesar Diaz and anything with John Jackson stuff though.

I dunno, about a better combo though.

In retrospect, it's all good. Change is just scary ladies and gents. But what are you gonna do? Cambell is a sick musician and I'm sure Phil and Friends is going to change a lot as a result... and that's what it's all about.

I just think Jimmy did a "good" job filling in for, or playings stylistically like, Jerry; but this is not the Grateful Dead we're talking about :)

I just looked at Larry Campbell's site and it seems he won't be performing at the Buffalo show. This is what is says:

Larry will be touring with Phil Lesh from November 21st until December 13th. He will miss the show on December 3rd due to his previous committment to work with Emmylou Harris. He will also be performing with Phil Lesh on December 29th, 30th and 31st.

So I have no idea now, who will be the guitarist for Phil Lesh & Friends on December 3rd in Buffalo?

Tim

I was gonna speculate that maybe Warren would be at the Buffalo show since Mule are in the area, but it looks as though they're on to Cincinnati by December 3rd...oh well.

As for Jimmy, I heard rumours quite some time ago of Jimmy joining Panic...anyone else hear similar? And Esau, do you have the first Project Z album? It's amazing (and I used to have an extra copy, but it got stolen).

In as much as I'm curious who will be playing guitar, I'm even more curious how Chris Robinson will sound with Phil. I like Chris as a frontman and vocalist, but his style just seems so different from the music Phil usually makes. But I have faith that Phil wouldn't tour this configuration if it wasn't of highest calibre.

So there's several Project Z albums floating around out there with new owners eh? Part of me wishes the recipient really turned on to the sounds, but the other part of me knows the CD found its way to the nearest dumpster (since it was stolen along with my CD player).

As for the new album, I have no idea either, sorry.