Jambands.ca

I like Widespread Panic

Guest Low Roller

It's one thing to dislike a band' date=' it's another to make ridiculous comments about them because you are ignorant about them... [/quote']
"The panic" is nothing more than a bad impersonation of the Allmans...

Allmans = southern rock done proper...

"The panic" = bastardized southern rock...

Both are southern rock bands, so I would say the comparison is valid... Saying The Slip doesn't have songs is just completely ridiculous... It's like saying nero didn't have songs... Just because someone (read deranger) can't distinguish between the jams and the songs doesn't mean they don't have any songs... It just means you are ignorant about their body of work...

(For the record I have never seen Panic, and, to be honest, it's not a priority... I have heard a bunch of Panic on CD, and it doesn't interest me... But I would never call them a bunch of retarded cousins simply because I didn't like their music...)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your opinion, not at all fact.

(For the record I have never seen Panic, and, to be honest, it's not a priority... I have heard a bunch of Panic on CD, and it doesn't interest me...

And there you have it. The definition of ignorance.

you admit you've never seen the panic. I've seen both many times. They don't sound at all the same and depending on what kind of a southern rock expert you are, if you sat down and actually listened to both bands STUDIO records, you'd realize they really don't sound much the same.

sorry if I offended your rock sensibilities by calling the slip retarded cousins. They're more like retarded cousins with syphilis who drool on their shirts while shitting their pants on the short bus.

For the record, I never said "The panic" and the Allmans sounded alike... I said they're both southern rock bands...

Secondly, I find it funny that the fact that I said I didn't like WSP (without flinging derogatory insults towards them) is a bigger deal than someone saying a band is a bunch of "retarded cousins"... I never said The Slip was better, I never said WSP sucked. I was more trying to make the point that like them or not, The Slip are far from a band that simply have empty space filled with tinkering nothing...

And Basher - if the definition of ignorance is disliking what you've heard from a band on CD, then may I point out that me calling deranger ignorant is right on the money:

I know nothing of them other than I've listened to them dozens of times and they still suck IN MY OPINION. I am ignorant about how anyone finds them interesting. It baffles my mind how thats considered good music.

Well, aren't they? The Allman's are a southern rock jamband... WSP is a southern rock jamband... Given the two I'd take the Allmans any day - at least I can stand the singing in that band...

sorry if I offended your rock sensibilities by calling the slip retarded cousins. They're more like retarded cousins with syphilis who drool on their shirts while shitting their pants on the short bus.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

best thread ever!!

:thumbup:

BEEEEEEEE-YOOOOOOOOOOOO-BLIPBLIP-OOOOOOOO-EEEEE-DO-E-O-E-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeee *cough*hack*cough*

ya know, I first heard of WSP in Rolling Stone magazine back in whenever. They had reviewed Till the Medicine Takes which had just been released. The reviewer said someting to the effect of "...this song sounds like the allman brothers...." blah blah blah...Well, being a huge Allmans fan I thought, great a kick ass southern rock jam band, I'll pick up that CD. Low and behold, I got the new CD and when I heard it, I realized they (WSP) sounded nothing like any allmans. In fact, Till the Medicine Takes was for me, an 80% country record. Even the song the reviewer thought sounded like the allmans sounded to me, nothing like the allmans. I subsequently enjoyed the WSP CD anyway, and have been a fan since.

Anywho, I guess what I'm trying to say is, although WSP have been and will continue to be called a southern rock band, I'm not sure how far that justifies a valid comparison to the allmans. Since that was my initial introduction to them, which I felt incorrect, I thought I'd speak up about it.

I mean no disrespect towards others music tastes. But I do like calling bands names.

As much as it's against my better judgement to challenge the infamous Del...

First of all, arguing about genre doesn't make any sense. You can narrow down genres as minutely as you think possible and the next day somebody will still release a record that is beyond categorization. I love the Allmans but I don't see them as pure southern rock. I will say unabashedly that southern rock, to me, is personified solely by Lynyrd Skynyrd. While the Allmans came earlier, they were more of a gritty, amped-up Chicago blues band with heavy jazz and improvisational tendencies - not to mention the tendancy to write the occasional pop song, even when Duane was alive. But that doesn't matter because you see southern rock differently.

As for Panic, I have liked most of what I've heard, but have yet to become a rabid fan. I need to get my hands on their Barton Hall equivalent and put them to the real test. I came across a live record in the CFMU library, and while it was good, I couldn't get past the ridiculously horrible album art. That, and the singer looks like a weiner to me. I'm sorry, I don't mean to judge the guy by his looks here, I mean he just looks like a bit of a pushover. When I dig a band, I don't care if it's 4 retarded, inbred midget cousins, but they have to look like they fuckin mean it.

It's one thing to dislike a band, it's another to make ridiculous comments about them because you are ignorant about them...

now your previous comment:

Seems to me you're doing one thing and saying another.

slip suck, giver!

HOOKAH RULES (even with a guy with a bad voice)

WIDESPREAD PANIC RULES (see above)

...and lets not, i repeat, NOT start talking about how incredibly horrible Brad Barr's voice is. Let's not talk about how it sounds like cats fighting in an alley after they take a break from scratching their claws down a chalkboard.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion Del, just not you ;)

I am intrigued by the fact that if someone likes a band on here and professes it, someone always brings up the slip (lower case out of lack of respect ;) ) can't it be Phish vs WSP this time, or The Dead vs Phil and Friends or kenny vs spenny? Sheesh.

Edited by Guest

john bell has the sexiest voice ever.

it drove me nuts at my first show, by the second show, i was melting.

i have not been able to see the band for the past 5 years as they never leave the US. but if they do, i will be there. and if i do go to the US, the first place i go will be to them.

:)