Jambands.ca

Vote for your top albums of the 70's

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Based on a previous thread started by MarcO about Pitchfork's top albums of the 70's, I was wondering what the Skanks top albums of the 70's were.

Then I decided to make a game out of it.

So for the next week or so I'm going to be accepting votes for the top albums of the 70's as voted by each of you. You can submit votes either by PMing me or posting on this thread. Bear in mind however that posting the votes here may skew the vote as sheep tend to follow.

The votes will be tabulated, and a point system will be allocated as follows:

1st place- 8 points

2nd place- 5 points

3rd place- 4 points

4th place- 3 points

5th place- 2 points

Honourable mentions- 0.5 point

(note: you can submit as many honourable mentions as you want!)

Voting ends on Friday, November 25th and votes will be counted on Saturday, November 26th.

NOTE: Only albums released from January 1st, 1970 to December 31st, 1979 are eligible. For album release dates consult Allmusic.com

Guest Low Roller

Maybe I should clarify the rules a little bit more because I wrote them before my first cup of (decaf) coffee this morning...

Submit your Top 5 albums of the 70's plus as many honourable mentions as you want.

They will be scored as above.

Guest Low Roller

Votes are starting to come in, but since you have all week take some time to think about it. I'll keep this thread near the top as a reminder.

(Bouche: Maybe I can get this thread 'pinned' at the top?)

Guest Low Roller

There are a lot of great albums to choose from in this decade, so I can understand that people may have a hard time picking a top 5 hence why I'm permitting an unlimited amount of honourable mentions.

Pink Floyd for example released their seminal albums Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, and the Wall during this period.

Nick Drake released two albums in the 70's: Pink Moon and Bryter Layter.

The Rolling Stones released a glut of albums including Sticky Fingers and Some Girls.

Led Zeppelin released III, IV, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Graffiti in the 70's.

The list just goes on.

Guest Low Roller

I like the taste of coffee, and decaf doesn't make my heart explode. Simple enough.

Back to the topic at hand, The Beatles released their last album Let It Be in 1970. How will it fare in this list?

The Who released plenty of albums in the 70's including Who's Next, Live at Leeds, and Quadrophenia. Will Jaimoe vote for all of them??

Two of the most important punk albums ever were released in the 70's: "Nevermind the Bullocks" by the Sex Pistols and "London Calling" by the Clash. Will a jamband audience such as yourselves recognize these achievements?

Speaking of genre-setters, Bob Marley released the majority of his albums during the 70's including "Exodus", "Natty Dread", "Burnin'", and "Catch a Fire"...

Jambands.ca darlings the Grateful Dead released "Workingman's Dead" and "American Beauty" in 1970. These albums should rank well...

More 70's flashbacks to come.

There is so much to consider. Funk really got into it's own in the 70s, James kicking it down with Bootsy, Maceo, Fred and rest in the early 70s, George showing what's what in the middle to late 70s. There was punk out of NYC, and then England. Reggae crossing over from Jamaica to both the US and England. The dawn of hip hop. Early heavy metal, glam rock, and that stuff Iggy Pop and Alice Cooper where doing in Detroit.

Just 5 albums is going to be tough..

In my 38 years of existence, the album from the 70's I have listened to the most is either Led Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door or Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon.

Welcome to the first wave of cd's and acid at the same time. I owned the only cd player, yet only 4 cd's were CONSTANTLY played because we didnt have to 'flip' them over.

Most recently its been Marquee Moon by Television, Pink Moon gifted via Nick Drake and American Beauty (the re-re-released one).

I dont even know where I could begin with this thing aside from that. I am sure I have more 70's albums than anything. Its my favorite decade of music. Most of the country I have been exposed to from that period blows my socks off. Space Country, basically, but lets not forget Cheese Country - where the 'cheese' is at - Hee Haw!

;)

I keep hearin' you're concerned about my happiness

But all that thought you're givin' me is conscience I guess

If I was walkin' in your shoes, I wouldn't worry none

While you 'n' your friends are worried about me I'm havin' lots of fun

Countin' flowers on the wall

That don't bother me at all

Playin' solitaire till dawn with a deck of fifty-one

Smokin' cigarettes and watchin' Captain Kangaroo

Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do

Last night I dressed in tails, pretended I was on the town

As long as I can dream it's hard to slow this swinger down

So please don't give a thought to me, I'm really doin' fine

You can always find me here, I'm havin' quite a time

It's good to see you, I must go, I know I look a fright

Anyway my eyes are not accustomed to this light

And my shoes are not accustomed to this hard concrete

So I must go back to my room and make my day complete

Don't tell me I've nothin' to do

web_Statler_Brothers.jpg

I even like disco.

If there are some kind of votes in that bunch, please use them. I cannot afford the time to give a 'fully' honest response. Cheap Trick, Live At Budokan? The Police, Regatta De Blanc? Tom Petty, Damn The Torpedoes? Supertramp, Breakfast In America? Dire Straits, Dire Straits? Toys In The Attic, Aerosmith? Jesus Christ Superstar - whoever the fuck did that one with all those wicked musicians.......hell, I dont even know if that was the 70's, but it's fucking wicked.

Go get it.

Edited by Guest
forgot a 'c'