Jambands.ca

Anyone know electronics?

CyberHippie

I've been playing around with different ways to light up frisbees for night golf.

Currently I'm using the two LED taped to a battery method. I just take an LED slide it over a thin watch battery so the + lead is on the + side of the battery, and - on -.

The biggest problem is that it's a pain to setup and tear apart. A switch would be amazing.

I discovered last night, that if I slide a paperclip over the unit to that it touches the LED leads on the top and bottom of the battery, it will short the circuit and stop the LED's from shining.

What I don't know though is, is this shorted circuit still drawing power from the battery? It's really strange because after I pull the paperclip off, the led's take a few minutes to start shining again.

Yes, you've shorted out the battery, and the battery is getting drained. (In essence, you've provided a better [lower resistance] way for the current to flow.)

As for a switch, you could either solder/wire in a small electrical switch, or maybe rig up a mechanical switch, which would insert/remove a small bit of insulation (e.g., a bit of flat plastic) between the battery and one of the leads of the LED.

Aloha,

Brad

I would just put the battery in the middle, take a small switch and just wire it between the battery and the led so that you can turn it on and break the circuit to turn it off..

also you migth wanna add a current limiting resistor into the circuit so that it A) does not blow the led and B)will make you battery last longer. The negative effect of this is that the led will not burn as bright.

just my 2 cents

Here's a really neat idea: get a mercury tilt switch. This is a very small (about 1ml or so) glass container with two contacts in it, along with mercury. When the container is tilted the right way, the mercury falls across the contacts, completing the circuit.

What you could do is place such a switch along the underside of the rim, but so that the mercury fell across the contacts only when the frisbee was spinning, due to centrifugal force. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about turning it on or off manually; you might have to be careful about setting it down tiltedly (if that's a word...), though.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest
Added link to Wikipedia entry.

the best switch for this would be an spst switch and just leave one side unsoldered.

a good 1kohm resistor would work great as well.. if you wanted it a little brighter go with a 470ohm..

hey brad that mercury thing would work awesome.. btu ya if you set it down the wrong way it would stay on..

how about a switch and then the mercury thing so you could totaly turn it off when not in use..

man we're nerds

"Theres something about flying a kite at night thats just so unwholesome"

You have to be careful when making your own led system from scratch because if its too bulky or not placed properly the disc won't fly properly.

http://www.flashflight.com/gallery1.shtml

Check out these pro-discs...the led's and wires all embeded in the plastic and they kick ass. Someone had one at Shoreline festival and it was perma-smiles the whoooole night. they range from

$20-$40 US which is easily worth the cost compared to making one yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Steve - they do make glow in the dark ones, but you have to carry around a black light with you to charge it up before each throw, and the amount of glow pales in comparison to what a little LED can do.

I've figured out a solution that will work quite well, just need to get a soldering gun. I bought some little coin cell battery holders. So I can solder the LEDs on to the bottm, and just pop the battery in and out of the unit. On the bottom of the unit I'll place a little velcro patch so I can move from disc to disc. Should work like a charm.