Jambands.ca

Bob Weir speaks

Booche

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you bobby bashers think jerry didnt make a penny off of his art, or ties, or .. etc...it is, was, and always will be about the $$. wake up people! those that think the whole deadhead experience was all peace and love!!! bwah. no it was all about cash. hasnt ayone grown to realize this obvious fact. you must also remember, if im correct, that gd productions is owned by more than just band members. it wouldnt surprise me if the board consists of 20 or more shareholders, ooops, theres that word. "shareholders" they, not bobby, decide the future of gd productions. bobby probably only owns a small percentage of gd procuctions. therefore he probably didnt even have a say in what went on. ps, even if it was about the cash, i still love the grateful dead!!!!!

wake up people! those that think the whole deadhead experience was all peace and love!!! bwah. no it was all about cash.

And if I thought Christianity was all about these people -

theplayers.jpg

pat_robertson_700_club.jpg

000216.jpg

05329144758_JerryFalwell.jpg

authors.jpg

(and that's with two guys named Jerry, one of whom with a white beard to boot!)

... then I'm sure I wouldn't have any sort of interest in it either. Handily, there are clues in that culture too that suggest there's something going on besides money.

Culture is what we keep making it. There is, of course, the magnetic lure of that lowest common denominator, especially in 20/21st century America, but that just means we have to try to see through it that much harder.

No. First, anybody can play anyone's music live, without permission.

This point needs some clarification. Copyright law gives the owner the exclusive right to reproduce the work, make derivative works and perform the work publicly.

Is this strictly enforced as far as cover songs go? No, of course not. But what Bob Weir said was not incorrect. Was it short-sighted, arrogant and pathetic? Yes, of course it was. But it was not factually incorrect.

C'mon.

Isn't a little much to demand that recordings that a band made of itself from its own soundboard be freely available?

This somehow turns the Dead into napsterfucker Mettalica???

Look I think it's a cool notion (the open vault) but...

I can't escape the idea that so many of the complainers here sound like my students when I ask them to put their cellphones away.

"Waaah! Waaaah! I should be allowed to have it cause I want it! Waaaah!"

Do you really begrudge the man his attempt to profit from his good work?

Don't be so lazy...get back to taping and trading, old school.

Jef

wooohooo back online! don't have much time to post these days, so I'm picking my spots - this is my first, here we go:

People would be wise to separate the music/art from the personality/actions, if we don't it'll be tough to find any music to listen to, especially the Dead. One of Jerry's daughters recently remarked the GD were not the flower children everyone thought they were, Jerry included. I guess people like to hold Jerry up as the teddy-bear-like hippie icon who could do no wrong. If that makes you feel better about the world, keep that perception for yourself, but you are delusional. Of course he was a nice guy most of the time (they all were) but remember he did drive a BMW, was a junkie absentee father most of his life, and the rest of them were not angels either (ie. Billy the wifebeater) but as artists, my favourite on the planet, and nothing will change that.

The outrage over the archive sbd removal I liken to "wookie culture of entitlement", I mean, didn't we all think the archive was too good to be true anyways? Besides, all these soundboards are still out there and available!!!!!

It's worth saying again:

All these soundboards are still out there and available!!!!!

All we have to do is take a small step backwards to trading CD's via email->snail mail, which still makes the old Maxell tape trading days seem pre-historic, also - it's more more personable, and besides, who really can listen to that much music, c'mon!! Most Deadheads suffer from what I call "accumulitis", I remember when 12 GD tapes happily lasted my first year+ as a head. Does anyone really need every show from 1977?

Let's also remember that a lot of the sbd's out there were leaked from the vault by Dick Latvala without the bands knowledge, but even if they let them all out themselves, and now want them back to make money, we all know that's not going to happen (ie. the red dye in the swimming pool) but before you disown them, remember they have given us TONS of high quality free music.

Are Phish selfish and greedy for not giving all their soundboards to the fans for free?

Whatever Bob or any of them say (and I haven't listened to his audio clip above) we all know the soundboards are still out there, and besides having to now put forth a teeny bit more effort to get them - NOTHING has changed. We know they'll never make big $$ off of them no matter what they say or try to do.

And poor VVilly, so much misdirected anger (small penis? :) ) but I know he's dancing his ass off right now to 5.8.77 Cornell (free soundboard!) and loving Bobby's sick wah-wah funk rythm work as we speak! And hey, at least he's not voting Conservative.

Wait a second, the audience tapes were pulled man. That was my point and many others felt the same way. Who wants to hear a show without the audience?

Anyways, you should have listened to the link rather than flapped your gums with a ton of fluff. If you cant hear it, check this out. Keep in mind their is some nasty tone about the 3/4 mark.

From David Gans:

Bob Weir gave an interview on KBCO in Denver, and the subject came up:

Listen to it here. It's a little jerky, with pieces missing, but I transcribed some of it...

We had to cover our asses. What they're doing is illegal, unless there are arrangements made... particularly in the case of covers - other people's material.

If we're perceived to be distributing their songs without their agreenent, they have every right, and really and every obligation, to sue us...

We had to take it down. We had no choice. It's archive.com's [sic] job to make arrangements with the other people whose material... we're playing, and then everything's good....

Probably a lot of it is stuff that we intend to release in the future anyway.

We need revenue. Our music division needs revnue so we can digitize all of that stuff.

The 'information wants to be free, man' - those folks... this is not information, this is music. It's kind of value-added information. Some people prefer to call it art....

We had to go ahead and do the right thing, and it upset some folks. I'm really sorry about that. So they started up a petition, a boycott, and all that kind of stuff. I really hope they can stick to their guns, and boycott us, and... seeya....

(Gans then goes on to say) Weir's attitude makes me very sad. The publishing/rights issue has been the big unspoken question mark in this whole archive.org deal for quite some time, but coming from Weir in this interview it sounds like legalistic bullshit retrofitted by some bureaucrat.

And really shitty PR, too. Bob's been a pretty classy character through most of the sturm und drang of the post-Garcia GD drama, and to hear him sneering at fans is pretty distressing. Ratdog's (and GDP's) publicist, Dennis McNally, is usually on the road w/ Ratdog - was he there in the studio when Bob blew off a big chunk of his audience?

Sure, some of the most vocal of the complainers in this deal are totally full of themselves, and I thought the boycott petition was a lousy way to seek redress of grievances, but jeez, Bobby.

hux, you should really listen to the audio clip.

i agree with most of what you've said, but i suppose it's his sense of sudden outrage that this was happenning that peeves me...it's only been happenning for three years, i can't believe that Bob didn't know about archive, and for that matter doesn't feel somewhat flattered by the effort that has been put in to collecting definitive copies of gd shows. his dismissiveness of a large segment of his fanbase (and his fellow songwriter) as the "information-wants-to-be-free" crowd, well, even you'll get a bit hot under the collar :P

do listen to it...