Booche

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Booche.

First impressions:

a) He sums it up himself in three words: "we need revenue."

B) Would the Dead not have been subject to sanctions for playing other people's music live for so long and making money off it?

c) "People say information should be free. This is not information, this is music." Bob should read more cybernetic theory, maybe, or hang out more often with Barlow, who actually knows what he's talking about with that language.

d) He's actually telling people who are upset about this to go away and not come back. Pretty unfortunate.

wow -- I'm even more disgusted with Bobby now!

you'd think he'd have taken the time to actually think out/plan out his argument/defence. "uh..." pause...."ummm...."pause... He's clearly nervous, but finally in the end does come out and admit it's a cash-grab (my words) and not much else.

Who is that snickering in the background as Bobby does a "hippie imitation" ('Information should be free, man.')

Love the constant "they", "them" references!!! He takes a loooong time before finally admitting his part in this whole debacle.

Can you say "Victim or the Crime?".....poor Bobby, after pulling "long hard days with RatDog", he still had to make these tough decisions and then he gets flack from the fans. Really we should feel sorry for him, huh?

B) Would the Dead not have been subject to sanctions for playing other people's music live for so long and making money off it?

No. First, anybody can play anyone's music live, without permission. I know that for small/club venues, the venue is reponsible for paying money (via BMI and ASCAP, IIRC) to the copyright holder(s) for music performed in the venue. I'm not sure about GD-sized acts, but I imagine something similar is in place.

To release a performance of someone else's music, however, you need permission of the copyright holder. This tripped up Frank Zappa: the 1988 band did a killer Beatles medley, but it's never been released, because Zappa wasn't able to get permission from Michael Jackson.

Things get a little fuzzy when it comes to bands allowing taping. Since a band can play anyting it wants to, without permission, they can do covers. But they can't release a recording of a cover without permission, and even if they get it, royalties still need to be paid. So does a taper's recording count as a "release"?

Aloha,

Brad

do you all forget that it was jerry who said, and i quote "nothing comes for free!" -stella blue. wake up people, its always been about the money, nothing has changed. and it never will!!!!

bob also said, the revenue was needed to continue to digitalize(or whatever) the music for possible releases. and like he also said, there are still audience recordings circulating around, that there are no problems with . so, big deal, you might actually have to look a little bit harder to find the show you want! remember when certain shows were "rare"? it was actually cool to trade and hunt down, or bargain for some cool or just amazingly sweet shows? or, you could hear a recording at a party ang know that you were the one who gave out 10 free copies to your friends and they gave 10 copies to there friends. etc...and not that every deadhead alive has the exact same shows. in other words, if you dont like it, dont buy it. simply find an audience recording from a friend.

you'd think he'd have taken the time to actually think out/plan out his argument/defence. "uh..." pause...."ummm...."pause... He's clearly nervous, but finally in the end does come out and admit it's a cash-grab (my words) and not much else.

The way he was talking reminded me of George Bush whenever he tries to go off-script.

you'd think he'd have taken the time to actually think out/plan out his argument/defence. "uh..." pause...."ummm...."pause... He's clearly nervous' date=' but finally in the end does come out and admit it's a cash-grab (my words) and not much else.[/quote']

The way he was talking reminded me of George Bush whenever he tries to go off-script.

:P

"information wants to be free. (snicker)...this is value-added information...some people would even call it art."

"i hope they can stick to their guns and boycott us. see ya!"

"we need revenue to digitize the vault for sale..."

"all the other guys were on the road & scattered, i had to deal with this..."

bobby bobby bobby...so it's archive's job to now track down the copyright holders of all the songs the dead have ever done and get their permission?

huh?

and he had to deal with this? hello? it's been happenning for three years, apparently with phil & barlow's full knowledge and support. phil said that he listened to shows on the archive while wrioting his book. as bob kept calling it archive.com i'm gathering he's never checked it out.

has bob been hanging with koons? next he will start referring to the guys as "the corporation" instead of the band..."the corporation needs to protect its' interests..."

c) "People say information should be free. This is not information, this is music." Bob should read more cybernetic theory, maybe, or hang out more often with Barlow, who actually knows what he's talking about with that language.

d) He's actually telling people who are upset about this to go away and not come back. Pretty unfortunate.

phil and barlow have weighed in on this & basically support the deadheads. bob supports the shareholders.

obviously ratdog is not making sufficient $$ to guarantee bob a comfy retirement.

i wonder if wendy weir is going to channel jerry again? i hope so, and that that jerry yells at bob through wendy and thoroughly cusses him out.

there was another bob quote in a print interview where he said something to the effect of "It's a dollar a song, and it's a pretty good deal, lots of our songs are really long..."

it's a new low for bob in my books, i think.

just listened to that thanks.

Bobby's full of shit. There I said it.

His reference to the problems inherent in "cover" versions is a red herring argument.

It's 2005. Let's reject any nostalgic notions of how cool it was to have "rare" shows to trade, or the "community" mindset of mail trading, as though that can only be built by underground trading. I have seen numerous in-depth, thoughtful discussions on the Grateful Dead's music online in the past few years and what was driving that discussion, that online community was being able to provide instant links to certain shows and/or versions of songs so all could hear the goods right then and there and keep the debate moving along, deeper and better. Back when I was collecting Maxell tape points and getting a boner over my 4th gen incomplete sbd of some 1968 festival performance or something, I dreamt of something like the archive.org site, where it was all there to be heard, absorbed and appreciated, by the people who value it the most, the fans. I'm not going to devalue the utility if that just to make excuses for men past their career primes who didn't manage their money properly.

Bob Weir may be a founding member of the Grateful Dead but that sure doesn't make him a Deadhead.

"This is not information, this is music. It's kind of value added information. Some people prefer to call it art."

yeah, Megs, I was thinking the same thing.

This is gonna be a hard pill for Hux to swallow, I think.

But I'm still curious to see if he can somehow come out swinging for Bobby...you know, the way folks slow down to rubberneck a road accident

C'mon Hux! Put your boxing gloves on! Where are you, man, this is IMPORTANT!!!!

lol

What a sad, pathetic soul Bob Weir is. I find it difficult to feel anything but pitty for Bob. You've always been a loser Bob and you have the uncanny ability of coming out and proving it just in case people start to forget. You'll never shine out from your spot in Jerry's shadow because you just aren't 1/200th the person that he was. You should have paid a little more attention all those years and maybe you would have learned something about why everyone loved him so much.

Wow... it sure sounds like Bobby has shot himself in the foot over this one. Touring revenue ain't cutting the mustard, so he's gotta protect the 'boards and the future revenue from them. Then he tells his audience (the folks that go to his shows and that would probably be investing in the release of said 'boards) to basically go screw themselves. I'm sure that Bobby's publicist is having a coronary as we speak!

Too bad, too; I thoroughly enjoyed the Ratdog show at The Docks, but now I feel like I want a refund.

You'll never shine out from your spot in Jerry's shadow because you just aren't 1/200th the person that he was. You should have paid a little more attention all those years and maybe you would have learned something about why everyone loved him so much.

Willy, I love you sweetheart, and, that is just about the most touching thing I have ever heard you say...

lol -- we cool or am I still in your shadow?

I have to defend Bobby here. Now first, flat out, his position on the archive etc. etc. is dead wrong.

But, on other issues, and on life in general Bobby is an excellent person. He is a kind kind soul with his heart (normally) in the right place. He was involved heavily with spearheading the Rex, he got into the Rainforest Action Network, lent himself to the fight against mandatory minimums and has generally been an exemplary human being.

With respect to the comparing with Jerry. Well, put it this way, the "Bobby fans are people too" stickers never came out until after Jerry died (or at least I never saw one). There are many many dead shows where Bobby carried it. BT Wind, weather report; the eleven; those are some of the very best dead songs that exist. Bobby bashing came into fashion after Jerry died.

Sorry Willy and company , but I truly think that when others compare Jerry and Bobby, and put Bobby down for his contribution what it really says to me is either a) you never saw the dead or B) you've forgotten what it was like - due possibly to what has happened since.

You'll never shine out from your spot in Jerry's shadow because you just aren't 1/200th the person that he was. You should have paid a little more attention all those years and maybe you would have learned something about why everyone loved him so much.

Willy' date=' I [b']love you, sweetheart, and, that is just about the most touching thing I have ever heard you say.

lol -- we cool or am I still in your shadow?

I'll be (among) the first to come out in praise of Bobby's playing. It's a tough gig to fit a voice between Jerry and the keys, and the fact that he did it regularly, for the Dead of all fucking bands, means that he should live like a king for the rest of his days, whatever he does (even screwing the proles when it appears clear he doesn't quite know what's going on).

Myself, I'm just a little put off that he seems to want to carry the administration the way he does, when what they're doing doesn't seem so qualitatively related to what the band did for their audience, in that special way the way that the Dead did what they did in a special way.

But ahem. Do check out his playing in the China Cat/KYR jam in 18-08-89 and it's clear why he was the guy who did what he did in this band. The fact that he's neither an economist nor a political or social theorist gets washed away in the process.

(See Bobby? Archive SBDs good!)