Jambands.ca

Anniversary of my 1st Phish gig 12/6/1997

TimmyB

On this day December 6, 1997 I saw Phish for the first time.

Ah, what a different time that was. I remember driving by myself from Burlington to the Palace of Auburn Hills to meet up with hamilton and CyberHippie at the Palace Box Office as they were coming from the last gig in Cleveland.

I had a hard time finding them and for a moment a guy by the name of Caplan of whom I had seen at several shows all over Ontario over the past couple of years offered me an extra, so kind. Then I found hamilton and CyberHippie and into the Palace we went. My life has not been the same since I left that show.

Tim

12-06-97 The Palace, Auburn Hills, MI

Soundcheck: Dog Log, AC/DC Bag, Ginseng Sullivan, Black-Eyed Katy

1: Golgi Apparatus, Run Like an Antelope, Train Song, Bathtub Gin-> Foam, Sample in a Jar, Fee, Maze, Cavern

2: Tweezer* -> Izabella** -> Twist -> Piper -> Sleeping Monkey -> Tweezer Reprise

E: Rocky Top

*Trey teases the music from the the segue that comes out of "1983...(A Merman I Should Turn to Be)" (Jimi Hendrix). *With the start/stop funk jam that repeatedly surfaced during the Fall Tour (may have oringinated in the 11-28-97 Worcester "Ghost").

Hey Nice!! The show the night before was my first phish show. In fact my first time hearing a note of phish period.

I can still remember when we were half way there Brian mentioned that we were meeting up with Tim. Tim? Yeah Tim Batke, your friend. Whaaa?

Great show!!!!

Yes my friend, how long we have come from talking about David Lee Roth in Mister Brooker's science class in the basement of Central Public.

Tim

Edited by Guest

Hey Nice!! The show the night before was my first phish show. In fact my first time hearing a note of phish period.

I can still remember when we were half way there Brian mentioned that we were meeting up with Tim. Tim? Yeah Tim Batke' date=' your friend. Whaaa?

Great show!!!!

[/quote']

Yes my friend, how long we have come from talking about David Lee Roth in Mister Brooker's science class in the basement of Centreal Public.

Tim

yeah, what a difference. Now you're talking about Phish in Mr Bouchard's jamband class from your shelled-out bombhole of an apartment.

oh and Trevor has a nice house and a beautiful wife.

Edited by Guest
all hail King Trevor

I can still remember when we were half way there Brian mentioned that we were meeting up with Tim. Tim? Yeah Tim Batke' date=' your friend. Whaaa?

Great show!!!!

[/quote']

Yes my friend, how long we have come from talking about David Lee Roth in Mister Brooker's science class in the basement of Centreal Public.

Tim

yeah, what a difference. Now you're talking about Phish in Mr Bouchard's jamband class from your shelled-out bombhole of an apartment.

oh and Trevor has a nice house and a beautiful wife.

I was talking about how far we have come based on the music that we enjoy.

Really focussing on my apartment today aren't you?

Oh and thanks for pointing out that I'm single again in a roundabout way with reference to Trev and Tara, that was a nice touch.

Tim

This was also my first Phish show. It changed my world in a major way. To this day it is still my favourite show (after seeing 49) and I spin it at least once a week.

Nice jaybone,

One away from fifty Phish shows.

I got up to thirty-three myself. And baring Phish weekend gigs and seeing Phish play with my favorite Neil Young at Farm Aid 1998 and the Bridge School Concerts also in 1998, the Palace gig of 1997 could be my favorite two set Phish gig.

The Palace was definitely a great gig to start the journy with.

Tim

We must all be the same age and got into phish around the same time....

12/6/97 was my 3rd show (cleveland and auburn hills in 96).

The 2nd set is by far one of the best this band ever played, and as we all know the band started downhill after 97.

good memory. thanks for bringing it up.

i think i drove back to london with a guy named crappy. and i believe i got a jurassic cheeseburger at mcdonalds after the show.

greasy

Instagator, the Constable and I were front row center for this show. I remember walking onto the floor and each usher kept pointing us to the front. We had smiles from ear to ear when we realized where we were. Funny thing is that gator and I mail ordered seperately and got these seats beside each other. Great show, good times!

nice ... i just finally found a good digital source of my first show, darien lake 97. The Kesey bit in the second set isn't overly worth hearing ... but the post-Hood jam turns me to mush every time. Plus a sick sick Antelope closing the first set.

I recently got this show (the one this thread is about) again (replacing my charming cassette) and was quite pleased. What a killer year.

Instagator, the Constable and I were front row center for this show. I remember walking onto the floor and each usher kept pointing us to the front. We had smiles from ear to ear when we realized where we were. Funny thing is that gator and I mail ordered seperately and got these seats beside each other. Great show, good times!

No shit man thats really weird...My wife and I got tickets through mail order as well and friends of ours who mail ordered ended up sitting right fucking next to us front row as well...Page side...Funny thing is we didn't even know we were sitting next to each other until we happened to run into each other at a Tim Hortons in Windsor on the way down. Maybe you saw us holding a Canadian flag with the Phish logo in the middle? My buddy made that vefore the show and I think it got stolen before we left. If I recall correctly the security guard in front of us (Mike...wicked dude!) took our picture holding up the flag using our friends disposable camera. This was my year for Phish for sure...went from crazy Prankster madness to the Great Went and topped it off with a killer set front row. Oh and if anyone cares Page drinks Budweiser...blah!

crazy coincidences with friends and tickets rock!

in cinci, -03, sanislo and his GF kristi had tix for the first night, i didnt, so they go in, i find some heady kids that smoke me out, and walk around the back way, and buy a tick off this girl for a bit under face, rush in, knowing that ive missed the opening wilson>frankenstein (grr dont get me started) so i go to the seat on said ticket that i just bought, and low and behold, i hear people calling TOOLLYYYY!!! once i start walking up the section, sure enough, my ticket is the same section, same seat as jay&kristi's tix, just one row in front!

was a wicked coincidence and it was a wicked show. didnt think id see them until after the show.

awesome