Jambands.ca

Jambase Trey Article.

Freeker

Why do we need this negativity..couldn't the author just have said that the band was weak (or a work in progress) in his opinion. Why does he have to come down so harshly on Trey (does Trey owe him anything?) He compares Trey to MMJ and Mars Volta (give me a break). Of course Trey is not in the same league as these bands (they are fresh and doing something with a new sound) Then he goes on to say that Trey is trying to be the next Tom Petty or Sarah McLaughlin....bullshit. I don't think that Trey even knows what he wants...but I do have to say that he has taken the steps to make the music better (if you don't believe me listen to a copy of the last show) If you don't like the music then don't go, you don't have to put people down for trying something new...just my 2 cents (I know that we have already had a lot of posts about this topic, but this article really gets me upset)

It was far from poorly written. This, from a technical standpoint is a very well-written article. He states his points, backs them up and wraps it up.

Cully, our job as music writers is to criticize, albeit constructively, so when we don't like something, we write about it. I think Dennis was more than fair, not openly insulting and backed up his points. Trey does not 'owe' us anything, but he better put out a good product if we're all paying $50 american for it each night.

Edited by Guest

I don't see a single insult in the article, either towards Trey or his fanbase, and I don't understand how a writer can review something with "too much of his opinion" in it.

So many of the "reviews" I read on sites like jambase or even a little closer to home read like promotional press releases rather than a true critique.

Further, it is not the role of the critic to provide "constructive criticism".

Definitley a great piece! Although, I thought it was a little strange he considered Trey a living legend having never been a fan of Phish.. I guess Trey does have an Iconic look and personality.

Although I have very little interest in what he's doing now, I'll always consider myself a fan. And I don't think I'll ever entirely write off Treyband, more likely I'll just keep checking in periodically until I like what he's doing again. Because it seems to be ever-changing.

I just dont think I would really understand what kind of a legend Trey is without having experienced, loved and obsessed about - the legend. Although, I guess its pretty easy to figure out.

I suppose as a critic, he is able to provide a better perspective of the preformance, not having to think constantly at the show 'fuck, i wish this was phish'.

anyway ya.. great article.

its pretty good, sure its well written but i thought it was a bit harsh as well. too much opinion, not enough fact. i find that with alot of music reviews, sure theyre well written, and they look good, lots of big ol words that most wooks dont know what they mean, but i still dont like most reviews i read.

not my cuppa tea i 'spose

too much personalized opinion, like this guy likes what this players doin but not what this guys doing, its all just his opinion, does he have the same tastes as i do? no. therefore, this review is worthless to me and anyone else who doesnt have the *EXACT* same musical tastes as this guy.

long story short, i dont like music reviews, they are, for the most part, way skewed, and worthless