Jambands.ca

i need your heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp...

Birdy

i'm planning a cuban themed party to take place in south florida in a couple of weeks.. should be tons of fun, but i'm kinda under pressure.. i mean it's south florida and it's cuban themed. i'm an irish canadian who prefers ice fishing.

any thing you can think of to help me pull this off would be greatly appreciated.. my top two areas of concern would be cuisine and music playlists. i was born to decorate this.

so if you can think of any artists who i should attempt to include on a play list that would be great..

and any hors d'ouerves that have a cuban flair too..

or anything in general that would make or break a cuban party...

thanking in advance :)

What about Mohitos? I think they're Cuban. A complicated drink made with a big bunch of mint. And a sugar rimmed glass.

yes they're going to be the drink for the night.. and hand rolled cigars the smoke..

i'm trying to line up dancers right now.. damn this could be fun.

You could talk Cuban politics at the party (cause it always goes over SOOOOO well), and the Irony of having and addictable consumer society 50 miles away from a Communist nation that produces unquestionablly the best Tobacco in the world. Free Speech, American dream? Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

And I don't think he's Cuban, but you can't go wrong with the Music of Seu Jorge. Contempary, Spanish, Awsome. He's the guy who redid the Bowie tracks for the Life Aquatic.

hey birdsy birds... buena vista is definitely the music that comes to mind first. compay segundo, ibrahim ferrer, omara portuonda all played significant parts and have additional musical backgrounds to delve into i'm sure. the only kind of specific cuban music i can think of is "son"... look up 'cuba - son' and you should get some info.

as far as drinks i can think of the mojito which's already been mentioned (and which i tried to make myself once, and i guess i failed, 'cause it tasted like poo) and the cuba libre. that's just a fancy spanish way of saying rum'n coke. free cuba. hurray!

edit to add: cuba libre = free cuba. [not trying to make a big political message in case anyone takes it that way]

edit to remove: comments about che. drunk & unnecessary.

Edited by Guest

As far as music goes you could always check out the Putumayo collection. I think they have a few Cuban ones. I listen to them at work all the time, they are fun! It is also a good source to just get an idea for different artists.

As far as food goes make sure to pick up some authentic gross cheese and put it in everything, and for beverages pick up some kermato (cuban clamato) - just joking...but I know there are people out there who know what I mean.

Lastly, this sounds like an INCREDIBLE party!!! Please come up to Ottawa and organize one too. I would be there for sure!! Good luck.

i dabbed into this punch a little on friday night and boy is it ever yummy.. thanks a bunch. :)

thanks for all the suggestions, have a few playlists in the works and find myself dancing at my desk instead of working. if you ever feel the need to share an mp3 i would be one appreciative chick ;)

thanks everyone!