Jambands.ca

werd...................................(s)

Calamity Jane

One of my favourites is antinomy (No, not the metal antimony; transpose the 'n' and 'm' characters.)

It's a form of a contradiction, especially between laws and rules. Spider Robinson used it as the title of one of short stories, and gave an example: imagine a young man, a devout Catholic, who has fallen in love with a young woman, also a devout Catholic. It turns out the woman decides to become a Catholic nun.

The antinomy goes as follows: he's in love with her, but if she becomes a nun, he'll never be able to be with her, so he's bummed out; but as a Catholic, he has to be happy for her, because she's, in essence, marrying Christ.

Aloha,

Brad

most excellent entries StoneMtn and Ms. Hux!!!!

and thanks to Bradm for the link to that dictionary site. I love the fact it provides pronunciation....because, besides fun meanings, how words SOUND is equally why I love words

for some reason, I've just had "MENDACITY!" rolling around in my brain...I can't quite place why...but I think it's "Big Daddy's" voice from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" rolling around in there and hollering "Mendacity!"

Not a big word, but, [color:green]deploy. There are so many things you can [color:green]deploy out of context. I've [color:green]deployed insurgents to my plumbing system on trips to the bathroom. I've also [color:green]deployed brief moments of awkwardness in a variety of social settings, including this board....................

That was awkward.

Anyway, I think we should all take the motivation to [color:green]deploy something on a daily basis.

I like the word "spatula". Not becuase of what it means - just because of the way that it sounds.

ever see Weird Al's movie "UHF"?...there's a great spoof-ad you'd love...for "SPATULA CITY!!"

I've [color:green]deployed insurgents to my plumbing system on trips to the bathroom.

uh...you have me a little confused. Are you talking about dropping the kids off at the pool?