Jambands.ca

Reoccurring Dreams?

Ms.Huxtable

With all the press this summer blockbuster has been receiving, I am reminded of a heavy scar from my childhood.

When I was younger, I was very scared of transformations on TV and in movies. Werewolves terrified me (Michael J Fox in Teen Wolf freaked me out), but ESPECIALLY The Incredible Hulk. My Dad used to watch this show and I liked it, but when the transformation was happening, I would hide behind my father's armchair asking "Is it over yet Dad?"

For about 4 years I had a reoccurring dream that the Hulk was chasing me. I'd be running so fast that I'd keep tripping and falling down. That's pretty much the whole dream, running, falling and screaming.

Have you had any reoccurring dreams?

PS: I'm pretty much over the Hulk thing now. I may even check out the movie. [Wink]

No joke: I have recurring dreams in which Neil Young is my boyfriend.

After I read "Neil & Me", they began. I started having these very involved, engaging dreams..various scenarios..but in all of them, I'm Neil Young's girlfriend!

I love those dreams. The best part of the dream is when my conscious invades my subconscious and I realize, "Hey! I'm NEIL YOUNG'S GIRLFRIEND! KICK ASS!!!!!"

Funny you should mention the hulk...I used to have scary dreams about him as well. The only thing was that I loved the show and it wasn't until bedtime that the horror struck. I personally don't remember the dreams but my parents tell me that I would wake up screaming "the MAN is under my bed!!!" (affectionately referring to the hulk)

As for present day dreams, I frequently find myself dreaming that I have an assignment that is due that day, or an exam (even though I've been done school for over a year) and I freak out because I've forgotten everything. Sometimes I dream that I have a shift at my old work that I've forgotten about and they call me to come in....basically I dream about forgetting things I guess.

My only reoccuring dream stems from the trauma of my first job. I was a cashier at the local grocery store. This was back before the days of scanners. We'd have to individually sticker each item and ring everything through by typing in the price. Almost every day I'd get some irrate person screaming at me that I'd entered something wrong or that I'd cheated them out of a nickel.

So now, I dream that I'm at the store working the cash only all the buttons are blank. No numbers, no codes, nothing. The line builds and everyone turns into Roseanne Barr and I get completely flustered. Near the end of the dream I eventually realize that I don't have to work at this crappy job any more and walk out - all the customers yelling at my back.

I haven't had any reocurring dreams lately, but I used to have them when I was a kid.

The first one, I was trapped inside the castle that belonged to Frankenberry and Count Chocula. Doesn't sound very scary now, but it was pretty tramatizing back then.

The other big reocurring dream I had as a kid usually involved a stranger attempting to kidnap me. Once they started walking up to me I'd always freeze, couldn't move or scream or anything.

Oh, and in university I'd dream quite often about breaking my teeth. It's was so wierd, I'd latch a top and bottom tooth together and just pull till one of them broke and crumbled. During which I was always freaking out because I was sure it was real and not a dream this time. I'd pull and pull knowing full well that the result would be a broken tooth, but couldn't stop myself. Man I hated that dream.

Incidently I used to be a sleep researcher, and had a lot of academic interest in dreaming.

I have one that I have had since the mid 70's(as far as I remember).Freaks me out every time.

I am in a desert alone, I have this feeling of claustiphobia,like I am being crushed,but all the time there isn't a single thing around me.I walk and walk without seeing anything but sand and this feeling like I have no room to move,there are a few signs up but I cant seem to make out what they say or mean,eventually I come to an lake or oasis and get in a row boat,black water,no reflection and no sound,no emotion just that feeling like I am being crushed.I row for awhile and then I usually wake up sweating and breathing heavy.

This is a condensed version,but nothing really happens to crazy but that feeling.I have had it for a long time(the dream),but have never really investigated what it could be interpeted as.May sound like nothing but its the strangest feeling,since I am not claustaphobic in real life,not even a little,I work in confined spaces alot,but didnt when I was a child,so I haven't a clue what the hell it means.

[Confused]

The above responses triggered more dream memories for me as well. For a while in highschool I had a reoccurring dream that my teeth were loose and falling out. That dream turned me into a very avid tooth brusher. I still can't fall asleep without brushing first. Even when camping.

Another reoccurring dream I had is that things, people or something would be chasing me, and I had the power to float, just by concentrating really hard on it. I didn't have much control over the floating. I would keep going up and up until I hit a ceiling or a tree limb. I always got away from whatever was chasing me though. A couple of times I remember being a bit worried about there not being anything to stop me and I'd keep floating up and up and up.... dreams are weird.

Someone once told me that dreams about loosing teeth mean wealth is coming. I can disprove this theory. [Frown]

quote:

Originally posted by Esau13:

I read that if you can fly or float in a dream,it siginfies you have a good soul.

[smile]

Au contraire Esau. Ever since I was a kid I've had dreams where at some point gravity stops acting the way it's supposed to and I can fly, float, can't run, or whatever.

And, I'm rotten to the core!

Peace with gravity

when i was young i had recurring nightmares i was in this house,, some big ol house, and i went upstairs, and opened the door, looking for someone, and it looks like a meth lab lol, all sorts of beakers bubbling and shit, weird lights, and a mad scientist starts chasing me around the house, i had that dream like 4 nights a week when i was younger.

now that im older, some of you may say its a nightmare too, but [Razz] to you, ive been havin alot of phish dreams, the weirdest being i was at a show at molson amp in toronto, seein phish, i was there with some friends but i saw this girl from my high school in the crowd, back in school she was hot, but in this dream she had a beard down to her nipples, i was jealous of her beard. weirdest..dream..ever

Oh man the Hulk used to be sooo scarey!

When I was realy small my mom told my dad that he couldn't bring me to see Starwars because she said I was too sensitive. My Dad snuck me into a drive in.....loved it but for years I'd wake up in full terror screaming about the sky high white droid like men(storm troopers) marching down our street to get us, then the black dude with the raspy voice(DArth)....ha ha did my dad ever catch shit

The main theme of any recurring dreams I've had involved being late for something (or trying to get there on time), and having to repeatedly go back to my starting point (e.g., to get something I forgot) and then heading out again, with the added problem of having my on-foot progress be like that of something trying to run in a swimming pool (i.e., no way to really get going or build up momentum).

It's pretty easy to explain: I'm a logistics junkie (e.g., when something's going to happen, I'm a stickler for wanting to when, where, and how it's all going to go down), and try to be as punctual as I can. (I'm actually training myself not to keep looking at my watch as I ride to bus downtown to shows and Jammer Tuesdaze, because I know that, once I get to the bus station, I have no control should I end up running late. I check my watch once I get off the bus, though... Those who have worked the door at shows at Dekcuf may have noticed that it's almost possible to set your watch by my arrival time, usually 9:30pm [coffee in hand]...)

Aloha,

Brad

my only reocurring dream is, me and usually various friends, riding in a boeing passenger jet that is driving full-speed on a 401 sized hiway, with the cars and everything, going around the turns, and somehow making it under bridges and all that.

that's basically it, sometimes there are minor differences, like the time the hiway was right by a florida like swamp area, and a few of my friends wandered down to the water and got eaten by alligators, that was a little freaky.

I have recurring dreams about travelling and staying in hotels to see bands. This usually happens about 2 to 3 times a week, and has been for the past four years. The dream usually focusses around some aspect of time, like the show is about to start in 5 minutes and I'm in still in my hotel room, moving in slow motion. Or I'll get to the venue and have trouble finding a seat. Or it will be 5 minutes to check-out and I've just woken up. The dreams are often very detailed and kind of fun actually. Except for the "running out of time" part.

I've always suspected that a VERY heady treat I had in Amsterdam four years ago started all this. [Wink]

Archived