Jambands.ca

Pedal Steel

DevO

for the steel lovin' Londoners...

Bob Egan

Friday March 3rd

London Music Club

$10

if im back from montreal in time, and not a total write-off, i'd love to check this out - i've had the chance to see him with blue rodeo, and a little sit-in with Wilco once upon a time.. he's great, should be a nice night of music.

Right on guigsy, I'll give Bob's solo set my personal seal of approval. I knew it would be slide-a-licious, but for a guy with that level of experience to non-chalantly start looping Dobro lines...let's just say I was surprised and very impressed. He also mentioned that he should be back in Hamilton in about a month.

And Velvet, that's a sweet deal. I need me one of those private sales.

Hey KevO...

If you're looking for a great track that Jerry Garcia plays pedal steel on then listen to VENUTIAN LADY by PAUL PENA on his album NEW TRAIN....it's incredible....it sounds a little like Bertha...but still one of my favourite tracks. The whole album is awesome. I recommend it to anyone. Enjoy!

Tooly: Essentially the pedals tighten (raise) certain strings while the knee lever(s) loosen (lower) certain strings.

It's a damn clever invention, that's for sure.

no shit eh? that IS a damn clever one

i just want to build me a simple lap steel i guess it is? basically a slab w a pickup and strings raised off the fretboard for rockin the slide, is that a lapsteel or am i still lost?

The New Riders Of the Purple Sage seem to have a nice pedal steel sound. I love the bending of the notes. Its would be cool TO have a Pedal steel on one side of the stage and a Kick Ass Organ on the other side of the stage. and mabe even an xilophone in the center. Anyways i Must go. If anyone is going to the slip on thursday See ya there.

I'm really enjoying Daniel Lanois' album "Belladonna". Thanks Polks!

To add to this thread a bit, there is an Indian steel guitar called the Mohan Veena. It is a 20-string slide sitar/guitar that was created by a guy named Vishwa Mohan Bhatt. He was a disciple of Ravi Shankar. This is the same instrument that Harry Manx plays, actually Manx sort of apprenticed under Bhatt for 5 years. One of the Beatles used to have a Mohan Veena (I forget which one). There are actually only about 2 dozen authentic Mohan Veena's in the world. Bhatt has also released albums with some big Western names in the 90's:

w/ Ry Cooder "A Meeting By The River" (this won a Grammy)

w/ Taj Mahal "Mumtaz Mahal"

w/ Jerry Douglas "Bourbon and Rosewater"

w/ Bela Fleck "Tabula Rasa"

pandit.gif

veena.jpg

Harry-Manx-color.jpg

And yes, Bhatt's stuff is pretty sweet too (I've only heard his disc with Ry Cooder, but will have to check out the rest).

Which gets me thinking of dobros; I don't think Jerry Douglas is capable of playing a bad note (he and Alison Krauss together is pure alchemy, imo).

[Edit to add, just to push the tangent a little further :P :]

Poking around that site just now, I saw that under the list of tour dates they've got a column called "Do You Know?" beside which is this picture, with the accompanying caption:

hot_dogs2.jpg

We have no reason whatsoever to include this in the Do You Know, as we don't even know what inspired this dog owner to create these dog outfits. The one with ketchup doesn't look very happy.
Edited by Guest

• 10 months later...
Check out Sneaky Pete Kleinow. He played with The Flying Burrito Brothers, Gram Parsons, Chris Hillman and even Frank Zappa.

Sad news. Pete is no longer with us having passed away yesterday. He suffered from Alzheimer's.

Truly one of the great pedal steel players. RIP

Story