Jambands.ca

Tax Question

NewRider

I go to H&R Block, always have because of the instant return thingy. My last landlord was a douchebag and won't give me my rent receipts. So what if I were to make my own? I know this probably isn't legal but I DID pay the guy the money so what's the deal?

I guess I could just file online but I'd rather have the instant return.

It is a crime for the landlord not to give you receipts. It doesn't matter if you've signed anything or not, if you live somewhere you are considered a legal resident. There are different types of resident like sub-letter but that's only if you are renting a room that someone will be coming back to and the other types are also exceptions like that. Regardless, you are entitled to a rent receipt.

Last I heard H&R Block requires all paperwork when done in person. I'm not sure because I do my own taxes as well as a bunch of other folks using quicktax. It's fast, easy and even by mail it only takes about 3 weeks, max, to get the return.

I've never been audited for rent receipts though I have been asked to produce tuition receipts.

i wouldn't worry too much about the rent receipts. my accountant told me it doesn't even matter how much rent you pay, it's a basic deduction just for paying any at all (maybe it has to be over a certain amount, i don't know... all i do know is i have never needed to give him receipts for it). you probably would need them if you DO get audited, but other than that, i wouldn't worry.

i had a landlord once who didn't issue receipts -- if you are paying by cheque, your cheque IS your receipt.

you should talk to someone at your bank about changing your account -- you can set it up so that any cheques you write are mailed back to you after they are cashed. if your account isn't set up like that though, they will be on file at your bank. your bank shouldn't charge you $$ to find a record of the transaction or even give you copies if they are recent enough (and if you are talking about rent from last year, they should be). go in to your bank or phone them & see what they will do.

your bank shouldn't charge you $$ to find a record of the transaction or even give you copies if they are recent enough (and if you are talking about rent from last year, they should be). go in to your bank or phone them & see what they will do.

ummmm, yeah, banks are real nice friendly places serving their CLIENTS' needs.....NOT!!! They certainly will charge you for this...exorbitantly ($25 bucks per cheque they 'search for' and photocopy for you.) This is why banks make billions in profit every year. gouge, gouge, gouge AND earn interest on YOUR money. Wow, I didn't know I was so angry tonight...something has angered up my blood!!! :P

but to echo what others have said...you shouldn't have to produce receipts. We use an on-line service called u-file (so no receipts need to be sent in at all.) I think it's about $14 (probably cheaper than H&R), and the turn around time is really fast. it was actually interesting to finally do our own taxes (believe it or not, at our age, my MOM still did them for us -- lol!!!)

good luck all as that tax deadline begins to approach!!

Hey there, Don't worry about the receipts.....in our practice, it's not often that CRA will ask for them...and it's usually just used for a basic deduction in your Ontario Tax Credits...which, if you make over a certain amount, you wouldn't be eligible for anyway.

When you go in to H&R, all you probably would have to do is tell them what you paid in total for rent that year and they will enter it into your return.

If the time ever came, which I highly doubt ever will, that you needed the receipts/cheques, you could request them then.

Oh yeah, and to ease your mind...instead of ordering the copies of the cheques, you could just print off your bank statements showing the cheques goign through every month.

But all in all, don't sweat it...it's a very minor thing that they don't look at.