Jambands.ca

Do You Realize how ridiculously good Apollo Sunshine is?

zero

I haven't even seen these guys live but I've been immersing myself in their music and jesus if it isn't nothing short of spectacular. It's got verve, swing, panache and baudiness in the perfect permutations. You shall not here anything less of me about this band. If I was an A&R guy I would have offered them a six record deal, as I gather MCA did. Monsters. Real Barbarians at the Gate. Bio says they're early twenties, making them precociously good. At times oddly the vocals remind me of Wayne Petti from Cuff The Duke, but really even the Cuff boys, before they hoofed Jeff, the real heart and soul, out of the band couldn't keep up with their changes. 'I can see this party's winding down/ Even though it's barely off the ground...'

[color:orange]

Boston's Apollo Sunshine has been likened to the Flaming Lips, the Elephant 6 collective, the Kinks, Queen, They Might Be Giants, and Beck. None of these bands really sound alike, so which one really describes Apollo's sound? The answer is all of them, and none. While Apollo Sunshine's music may be remniscent of any of these bands at any given moment, the strength of their debut album, Katonah, lies in a sound that is very much their own.

Apollo Sunshine is a trio: Jesse Gallagher (vocals, bass, keyboards), Sam Cohen (guitar, vocals, pedal steel), and Jeremy Black (drums/percussion), who met while attending college in Boston and are now in their early 20s. Katonah was recorded (with the help of their former college professor Andy Edelstein) after a year of playing shows in the Boston area (including a residency at TT the Bear's) and on the East Coast (Macrock in VA, and opening for the likes of Piebald, the French Kicks, Mink Lungs, the Mooney Suzuki, and Sahara Hotnights.) The album is an epic of sorts, a bizarre pop opera that takes the framework of simple, straightforward rock songs and expands it into a kaleidoscope of sound.

yeah, i thought they were fucking incredible. how do you go from all out madman rocking to a light ukelele duet, and make it sound like its the next most logical progression in the set? brilliance. cant wait to see 'em again on monday!

im still pissed that my cd got stolen. fuckin' hell.

I can't pull down torrents on this computer or I would have listened to it immediately. Some of their best tunes are Happening (!!!fierce!!!) of which there is both a recorded and live version on their sight coming out of Fear Of Heights another brilliant song- actually it's labelled as Fear of Heights/ Happening which is a better way of putting it because it's almost a splice of those two songs. Other gems included Katonah (same as the album title), The Egg, I'll Come Running Back To You and their covers of the Kinks Ape Man and R. Kelly's Ignition Remix.

Funny story I had my manager over after work last night and he doesn't really listen to great music and I really wanted to see how he would react. Imagine this little portugese guy in his mid twenties in a tight fitting pink sweater doing the wooly booly surfing the curl pipe moves prancing and dancing around my living room. Both of us were dancing in the freaking living room going crazy and I never do that. So infectious.