Jambands.ca

Wayne Shorter feat. Brad Mehldau

deranger

Weds. April 5th.

Galactic at the Opera House

or

Wayne Shorter feat. Brad Mehldau.....

which one to choose?

I haven't seen either, and I'm leaning way more towards Wayne Shorter/Mehldau. But they would be such different shows, a explorative jazz show at Massey Hall or a party show at Opera House....

I think Wayne/Brad will win out...but....thoughts?

Edited by Guest

I vote for Shorter/Mehldau. Shorter's a legend (well-deservedly so), and Mehldau is just about the pinnacle of what jazz piano can be. The other thing to consider is that Galactic will (very likely) be doing other tours, but the chance to see Shorter/Mehldau together (very likely) won't happen again.

Aloha,

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

oh god...i wish i was going...been hankering to see mehldau for the last few years and well Shorter is just legendary.

brian Blade is god's gift to drumming...I've been fortunate enough to see him twice in the last year with Daniel Lanois and he's blown me away both times. Any body sitting on the fence about this should not hesitate and make a bee line to massey hall tonight...

Mehldau was awesome. Show was maybe 3/4 full, tons of extra seats.

As for Wayne...yikes. Improv noise for 80% of the night. Unlistenable aside for the rhythm section of Brian Blade and John Patitucci. Wayne was doing everything he could to not play anything for the first half of the show. Much of the night was group-improv, fans of the most esoteric free jazz might have enojoyed themselves. Otherwise, it was very unlistenable and very hard to get into.

But Mehldau was well worth the ticket.