Jambands.ca

Akron/Family (w/Julie Doiron) last night!!!!

dave-O

Oh.My.God. These guys are fucking crazy!!

Went to see Akron/Family in Sackville NB last night with fairly high expectations based on the press they've been getting. I have no idea where to start, but everything that's been written about their live show is true. The stage was absolutely littered with props - tambourines, shakers, noisemakers, toys, stuffed animals, kazoos, xylophones, recorders and (literally) bells and whistles. One moment it's a psychedelic noise freak-out, the next it's an infectious clap-and-stomp along chant. A virtuosic guitar solo builds into a wall of feedback. From that wall of sound emerges 4 part Beach Boys harmonies. I have NEVER seen a show with so much audience participation. Never. The entire crowd couldn't help clapping and singing along at points. The drummer might as well have been Andrew Barr, he was that good. Underneath it all was a steady, polyrhythmic beat.

For anyone familiar with their split LP with Angels of Light, they opened the show with an a cappella vocal jam > Awaken > Moment. They ended up in the middle of the crowd with an acoustic guitar and a banjo for a bluegrass/gospel number (something along the lines of "Lord give me sweet peace") to close the show. They played for about 2 hours straight, and surprisingly remained seated for the majority of it (minus the big freak-out moments).

Needless to say, I was blown away. They were just ridiculous. I've never seen anything like this and likely never will again.

GO SEE THIS BAND!

Quote of the night, from my completely non-head co-worker - "These guys might just be the Grateful Dead for the next generation. I could see them getting a cult together..."

------

Like that wasn't enough, Sackville favourites Julie Doiron and Shotgun & Jaybird opened the show. The first section was Julie solo, followed by Julie backed by S&J, then Shotgun & Jaybird (w/ Julie on bass). I believe they're going to be touring soon in that configuration. Anyway, S&J are my new favourite east coast band. CBC Radio 3 has latched onto these guys, you're going to be hearing about them soon. I can't come up with a good comparison for them... in the past I told AD "Superfriendz meets BA Johnston", but that ain't right. Maybe a brooding Crazy Horse meets the Inbreds? I dunno.

• 4 months later...