Jambands.ca

Question of the Day 07-02-03

Ms.Huxtable

You can interview any living musician you want. Who would it be and what would you ask them?

I'd like to interview Paul McCartney. Ask him to play me a tune, what his writing methods are, what he misses most about being a Beatle, why he's glad he left the band, what his favorite indulgence is, what he's most grateful for, if boinking a stub is any fun.... [Eek!] okay maybe not the last one.

How about you?

Raine Maida fro Our Lady Peace.

... but seriously,

Pete Townshend before and after the scandal would be the best interview. He's the most articulate rock star still living. He was friends with all the great 60s rock stars and he's a good writer and editor to boot. Not to mention that he's as innovative a musician as there has ever been.

i would interview one of the backstreet boys, and try to be all serious, then start out with the good questions, like, is it true all you backstreet boys boink each other on the bus?

no really,,, is it true?

how do you find the time to get your hair just right, and shave neat little designs in your beards?

what do you say to the people that call you the demise of the music industry?

so on and so forth, id try to get them to smoke some ganja and listen to some jerryband but i doubt it would happen before i got kicked out. [big Grin]

Well, that's is interesting. There are so many people I'd like to ask questions to.

But if I had to pick just one, it would be this guy in Montreal who plays the most amazing street music I'd ever heard. He smacks the crap out of the guitar to get very open/reverberated sounds and I would ask him how how it was that a guitarist as innovative and technically proficient at him is still on the street playing.

Hmmm, tough! I'd probably pick amoung:

* Pete Townshend - basically the same reasons as Jaimoe, a highly interesting and articulate guy who invented a good chunk of what we think of as rock songwriting and guitar playing

* Paul McCartney - hey, he's the living half of Lennon/McCartney, 'nuff said

* Robert Fripp - another amazingly articulate as well as innovative musician, not the star that Townshend or McCartney is but arguably almost as influential

* Ani DiFranco - really just possibly the coolest musician working today, I think it would be too much fun to talk to her about music, politics, the weather, anything!

* John Popper - one of my heroes as well as just being a wonderfully strange man - hey, he's jokingly pulled antique rifles and swords on people who have interviewed him in the past, the stories you would have after alone would be worth it! [Wink]

Peace,

Mr. M.

I'd like to ask Mickey Hart just who he thinks he's fooling when he says silly things like:

"It's a hot version of the Grateful Dead," says Hart of the group's latest incarnation. "It feels like the Grateful Dead but without Jerry. I feel like he's riding shotgun with us. It feels really great. It's back to the way it used to be in the '60s. We're breaking these new guys in, so it feels really fresh." Riverfront Times

[Mad]

I'd ask a prominent and popular hip-hop artist (e.g., 50 Cent, or Jay-Z; if either were still alive, Tupac Shakur or Biggie Smalls would work, too) what, exactly, they feel the intense "feuding" (e.g., "dissing" other artists during songs) that goes on actually contributes to the music (and their listeners' enjoying of it).

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

"It's a hot version of the Grateful Dead," says Hart of the group's latest incarnation. "It feels like the Grateful Dead but without Jerry. I feel like he's riding shotgun with us. It feels really great. It's back to the way it used to be in the '60s. We're breaking these new guys in, so it feels really fresh." Riverfront Times

Bah, the fans still can't accept it, even though the band can....

[Roll Eyes]

Oh, and Greg, i'd ask him Trey the same question. But i can imagine the response. He has critical fans that dont eat up everything Tab does, as with phish.

so if trey is getting tired, or maybe running out of musical idea's, he can go back with phish for a while, until he feels constrained again, and go back out....

Trey is fun

Dumb question bradm, it makes you mad or more like it, gets your attention. Success!

I hate to say it but it'd have to be Paul ... he bit so badly with Wings after the Beatles but what a sense of melody. Actually, how about Jimmy Page? That'd be cool.

Steve

Archived