Jambands.ca

My Belizian adventure...

CyberHippie

Hey Folks, just thought I'd give a little update...

We spent 4 great days on a small island called south water caye. It was like paradise there, think Gilligans Island, but without all the obnoxious people. Weather was a little dodgey the first few days, overcast and windy as hell. We improvised and scoured the grounds and put together our own coconut bocce ball set. Good times. The weather eventually gave way to sunny bliss.

I went out for a dive on a corral wall, but their shitty equipment malfunctioned and my BC kept filling up with air, 3 attempts to get down, and not much luck, I was wiped and had to bail before I ended up with the bends or who knows what. Did manage to see a sea turtle on the bottom at least. I was a little pissed, but it was an amazing day for snorkeling at least. Right off our private beach there was an amazing reef, saw so much cool stuff, and followed an eagle ray for a bit (pictures to come...), so not all was lost.

Yesterday we spend a few hours traveling by bus inland into the rainforests and mountains. It was a very cool trek, although rather long to be on a bus. Cool sights though. I must have twisted something in my back pulling my pack off the bus because I noticed a little pain. Didn't pay it much attention though. So after dumping our bags into our cabin at the Trek Stop, we headed straight for the 9 hole disc golf course. Right after my first drive I knew this wasn't going to be good. By the time we hit the 7th hole (on top of some mayan ruins) I could barely stand up, and breathing was a chore. My back was in full on spasm mode. Finished the round out none the less, even canned a wicked putt for birdie on hole 9. After that though, I was pretty much out for 12 hours. Walking and breathing were a chore. Damn backs... :buh: >=( :~(

Headed into the nearest town, San Ignacio, today in search of a little herbal remedy (no not that kind ;-) ) Found this extract from a plant called "Strong Back", all I did was add a couple of drops to some warm water. It's still hurting, but I have to say I'm much more mobile now, it did a hell of a lot better than advil. These ancient mayan medicine men know what they are doing. I should buy a crate of this stuff to sell at DG tournaments.

This afternoon I was able to move around a bit, so sucked it up and we hiked up to these mayan ruins called Xunantunich. While sitting atop the pyramid, I prayed to the mayan gods to release my Karma curse, we'll see what happens. :laff: It was bizarre though, while we were sitting at the top, the biggest swarm of bees I've ever seen flew up over the edge and over our heads. It was crazy mystical. I've never been to ruins before, but the whole scene was truly awe inspiring.

xunan1.jpg

Anyway, hoping the back gets better tonight so I can get some rounds of golf in tomorrow, and head out for more adventures. Hope to get back into San Ignacio for some live music this weekend. Talk to ya'll soon!

It was like paradise there, think Gilligans Island, but without all the obnoxious people.

You had me convinced with just that :).

Glad to hear you're having a hoot. CJ and I were in Belize a couple of years back and loved it. I think it was at the pyramid you've posted about that I had the most intense humidity experience (it was late August) that I've ever had - walking across the grass and feeling like I was inside a microwave set on "high".

Carry on!

Had an amazing time in Belize! What a great country! I chose Belize as a destination because of some posts other board members here at made, and what a great choice it was. I'd reccomend it to anyone looking for a tropical destination that hasn't been spoiled by the tourist dollar.

Unfortunatley I had to scrap a lot of my photo's becuse they were overexposed or not in focus, damn digicams!! But here's what I was able to salvage if anyone is interested:

http://www.discgolfontario.com/galleries/belizeWeb