Jambands.ca

Jamband Thursdays at Dekcuf - input? help?

Phunky Cauldron

I like this idea. It's cool to have a weekly night to look forward to. Every city I've ever lived in has had something like this and it's definitely due in Ottawa. I think that it needs to be highly publicized, but to the right people. There are lots of university kids that are "down with the sound" and advertising at music stores seems like a good idea. I'd definitely help out with some postering or something, so if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.

A regular CKCU radio show could really help promote this scene to Carleton U. students as well. Dave Alburger (the most fabulous host of the show) is trying very hard to convince management to have a regularly scheduled jamband show (with Bouche as a "guest host" I believe). They have had one show of this kind and it worked out very well.

If you have a moment, why don't you e-mail the station management letting them know you support Dave Alberger's idea of a regular show promoting Canadian jambands and live-shows in Ottawa. (And be sure to listen to it when it does air!)

Here's the e-mail address:

info@ckcufm.com

Lets bombard them with e-mails pholks! We're the only one's that can make it happen!

Great ideas!! (I like the ticket/$$ stuff bradm)

We should probably have a meeting with those who want to help, bounce some ideas around...

The KEY is reaching the University peeps...we know they're out there....someone in the residences who could help us get the word out would be great.....

Actually, it was on CKCU that I first heard Phish way back in the day, they had a DJ who would always be playing Phish tapes. Unfortunately all of my contacts from way back when I was on CKCU have long since expired, but I will see if I can dredge some up somewhere. I didn't mean to be a gloomy Gus with my earlier post, I was just trying to say that things might be a little slow to pick up at this time of the year.

Rob Not Bob

NP : Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon

Geoff,

I am going to try to get my friend Ian (who worked with me on the radio show back in the day) out to the party, he might still have some working contacts at CKCU, maybe he could hook you up. Also, it might be an idea to push the focus of any putative show as having a lot of Canadian Jam Bands, since I know from direct experience they are really big on CanCon out CKCU way.

Rob Not Bob

NP : Patti Smith - Easter

It seem there is lots of enthusiasm, and great ideas....we'll figure out a time to meet, and I'll make sure it's posted, and we'll hopefully get everyone together for a brainstorming session.

With some pure effort, WE CAN GROW THE SCENE!!!

LET'S DO IT!

It's official, Thursdays at Dekcuf are now:

Jambands.ca Presents:

Jamband Thursdays at Cafe Dekcuf!!

I guess we really haven't publicized this too much lately (we probably should) but the kind folks at Dekcuf have recently decided that Thursdays will become Jamband Thursdays at Cafe Dekcuf.

Of course, it's obvious that we need to reach more people to make this thing fly, there aren't enough of us regulars, but that is THE GOAL!

Dekcuf is willing to stick with the night to make it work, and I think it's great that we have a sweet venue that is in "our head-space" and is willing to try to grow our scene with us!!

We are looking for people, and ideas to make this weekly thing fly, from people who are willing to put up some posters, or contribute with ideas, or whatever - any help is welcome.

And above all.......we're always looking for bands or non-musical acts to perform on Thursdays!

Ideas/help much appreciated!!

Geoff.

Not trying to be a pessimist, but just my own perspective : Thursdays is kind of an awkward night and it is, as mentioned, a bit of an out of the way location. There might just be a limit to how much attendance to expect, especially given the fact that it is real freakin' cold outside. I mean, I try to make it out every time I can, but I am widely regarded as a freak ... anyone I try to get out is usually daunted by either the timing or the weather ... then again, maybe I am just associating with a bunch of old fogies. Maybe this just needs a little time for the warmer season to come to develop more of a regular following.

Just my 11 cents ... (Homicide : Life On The Streets reference)

Rob Not Bob

How about a "frequent Jam" kind of thing? For Jamband Thursdays, you get a card with spaces for stamps/punches, and every time you show up for a JT, you get a stamp/punch. If you bring along someone who isn't (yet) a member, and they join (where "joining" would be free, but may include some kind of mock pledge/oath), you get more (5, maybe) stamps or punches. When you accumulate enough, you get something free (like free admission, or a free copy of a JT show, or whatever). Yes, I'm proposing turning Jam Thursdays into a multi-level marketing scheme... (Alternately, we could resurrect the "money" we printed up for Nero's Eve last March, and have it work the same way: entrance to a JT event gets you a buck, signing up someone else gets you five bucks, etc.; the bucks could then be redeemed for valuable merchandise.)

Helping out with a JT event (e.g., postering) would also garner the JT-helper with stamps/punches/JT-bucks.

Aloha,

Brad

Hey Dr. Hux, do you know who is booking the Thursday acts from now on? I know of this little 3 piece that has played Dekcuf before and I think they'd be in to play one of these thursdays. They're a pretty decent jazzy ensemble with a wicked organ/keys player. When I've been there while they played, they had 40+ people (all their friends) out for their show. Anyhow, let me know if I can talk to them about maybe playing on a Thursday in the future.

On a side note, I think I'll go to Dekcuf tonight. Is anybody else headed out?

Bouche and I are handling the bookings (and Ms. Hux) email me at geoff@drhuxtable.com or bouche, and we'll get those guys in - if they're interested, they sound perfect!!!

By the way, all this is totally not-for-profit...the bands take the door....a community effort as it were... [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

quote:

Originally posted by Phunky Cauldron:

On a side note, I think I'll go to Dekcuf tonight. Is anybody else headed out?

Tonight's "Open Jam", so I'll probably be there.

Cancel that; I've got stuff on tomorrow and Thursday, and work's gettin' crazy, so I think I'll stay home and sleep tonight.

Aloha,

Brad

After the incredible success (no irony here; it was a blast) of last night, including a BGH reunion, the emergence of Low Roller as the official Jamband Thursday Emcee, and Mike F. simultaneously inducing in me both an all-encompassing desire to play acoustic guitar ('cause he made it sound so good), and a profound dread of playing acoustic guitar ('cause I doubt I'll ever get close to what he can do), there's only one question:

What's on for Thursday next week?

Aloha,

Brad

Archived