Jambands.ca

Da Vinci Code

Dr_Evil_Mouse

The film sucks. My wife rented it and I gave it a shot. Hanks waltzed through every scene and I didn't know or care what was going on in regards to the fucking albino monk. Jean Reno had a pointless role too. The Paris scenery was great to see since I was in the Louve just last May.

I liked the movie... The most interesting thing about all the Hype, and waiting a few years to see what it was all about was that I had no idea that much of the controversy was over the idea of a "female aire" to the throne of Christ, and that the Christian "God" was more of a Mortal like Mohommad, than immortal, like the texts created 300 years after Christs death suggest he was... as well as the choice to write Mary Magdalin role as a prostitute oppsoed to Christs wife, and the important balance that Perhaps the real Christ would of prefered to have had relate his legacy to his and her deciples.

With all the Pop Culture fodder I came across, I had no idea that these were the themes causing all the controversy, and that in itself I found interesting.

Any piece of work, art, be it a movie, book, painting, music, conversation, thought, action, is an influential aspect to the ongoing narrative of life. Once an idea is expressed it has influence over ones life, either minor or major doesn't matter, it just has influence. Everything is influential and interconnected, like a ripple in still water. Once this post is read it has influence over you in the simple fact that if you agree with it it reinforces your beliefs, if you don't side with it, it does the same thing, reinforces your beliefs. If you just don't care it has influenced you by having an opinion that effects your momentary decision process.

Either way, I really dislike Tom Hanks, thought the movie blew chunks, and the book was not as creative as old school Dr Zeus... but interesting, and I do see why the masses connect in such a profound manner. They need something to tell them life's interesting.

The book was a readable who-dunnit that just chose subject matter that made erudite scholars mock it as trivial and the "masses" think they were reading enlightened culture.The format wasn't new-but then I dont expect alot from the thriller/mystery genre.It should be readable and entertaining and saves me from reading newspaper flyers out of boredom.The book accomplished that.Groundbreaking research and subject? Pfftt.Of course not.But then I'd also be happier if the masses read Dan Brown then if they read Danielle Steele. And I'm happier if they watch this movie instead of Triple XXX Part Two The Return.

Audrey Tatou has nice legs.

What were you guys expecting? Mind altering cinematic epiphanies from Tom Hanks?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but it sounds from here that it'll be all that I'd have expected. The book seems to have succeeded through a combination of clever insight, sheer luck of the marketplace, and the fact that religious conservatives got all worked up about it (no such thing as bad publicity, as they say). I think that, on balance, it's been a good phenomenon, if only because it opens up all sorts of good conversations.

I liked the book because the illustrated version had nice pictures.