Jambands.ca

Poutine = Happy Sunday

bouche

you post about poutine (which, granted is drool-worthy and post-worthy) BUT NOT about the jam which preceded it? how'd that go? You guys gonna be bigger than Jesus?

Well, thatpatguy was late for his other rehearsal this afternoon, so I guess it went fairly well... :)

Aloha,

Brad

the poutine was being ingested while I typed that post with my other hand. Obviously I was distracted from anything else the happened earlier.

we had a really fun sunday afternoon jam and we did our best to make ThatPatGuy skip his other rehearsal with Inglewood Dick ;)

But seriously folks, Pat and Dave are like the Warren Haynesez of Ottawa. They seem to manage getting involved in many things.

What the hell is S and G ? Voodoo Lady, me and Sharon will take you to the Pataterie if you can get Scotty here to help me figure out where in the fuck our phone line comes into the house.

ps...you've inspired me to have MY world famous veggie version ready for when Dave gets home!

curious to what this consists of?

It's really weird to have non-meat gravy. She made it here, and skeptically, I ate a serving and it was quite good. However, it was made with the limited ingredients we had like Tater Tots and we didn't have the real curds. So if CJ's making it with decent curds and fries it's probably awesome.

curious to what this consists of?

yeah, basically it's regular poutine, just drenched in this kick-ass veg gravy I know how to make.....

However, it was made with the limited ingredients we had like Tater Tots and we didn't have the real curds.

hahahaha! God that was a funny night! boy those were some desperately drunk and hungry times!!! Somedat Bouchie...I'll do it right for you and Sharon.

BTW....talking of food and cooking, I have a gift for Abbey....her one-year anniversary of being adopted by the BEST parents on the planet. No more hints. But all 3 of yas need to be here next Saturday*** to pick it up.

*** the next rehearsal is here next Sat at 2 pm, culminating in a drinking fest where you & Sharon pass out in Cassia's bed again. (Sorry you didn't get the memo earlier, but now you know)

S and G is the greatest poutine this side of the Ottawa river, it's the chip stand in front of the beer store on carling...and it's VEG!

and ITS A DATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

isn't there a famous one in front of the old Canadian Tire? I remember reading about a controversy where the dude doesn't pay for the parking and people are pissed that he doesn't get fined. Some of his biggest customers are in fact cops on the beat.

Cooper - Bank is my favorite Ottawa spot aside from one night at Les Bouche. Daaaaaaark gravy goodness.

Try out Lou Patate on Slater beside the Minto building (not to be confused with Lulu Patate in Hull). THey make a mean one as well.

you post about poutine (which' date=' granted is drool-worthy and post-worthy) BUT NOT about the jam which preceded it? how'd that go? You guys gonna be bigger than Jesus?[/quote']

Well, thatpatguy was late for his other rehearsal this afternoon, so I guess it went fairly well... :)

Aloha,

Brad

I totally blame the Bouchard brothers.. I was like "hey man.. I've got to get out of here.. my band is rehearsing in like 10 minutes"

and they were like "common man.. just one more song"

and I was like "I'd love to man.. but I've got go"

and they were like "common man.. just one more song"

and I was like "hey man.. I've got to rehearse with the band that makes money"

and they were like "somebody get Pat $20.00"

and I still left.. seriously.. I turned down $20.00 to get there when I did man :)

Voodoo Lady, me and Sharon will take you to the Pataterie if you can get Scotty here to help me figure out where in the fuck our phone line comes into the house.

if we jam before Scotty gets there I can show you where the phone line comes in.. are you talking on the outside of the house or the inside?

isn't there a famous one in front of the old Canadian Tire? I remember reading about a controversy where the dude doesn't pay for the parking and people are pissed that he doesn't get fined. Some of his biggest customers are in fact cops on the beat.

Glen's Fries, the only fry truck I know of to get a write up in the Citizen's food column (and a good write up too!)

Glen is parked in front of the Canadian Tire on Richmond Rd by Island Park Dr.

I used to work at that Canadian Tire and pretty much ate every meal at that chip truck (you don't get a figure like mine from eating carrot sticks all day!)

Voodoo Lady' date=' me and Sharon will take you to the Pataterie if you can get Scotty here to help me figure out where in the fuck our phone line comes into the house.[/quote']

if we jam before Scotty gets there I can show you where the phone line comes in.. are you talking on the outside of the house or the inside?

The Network interface on the outside of the house is connected to nothing. Scotty coached me after I sent him a photo, and I disconnected the ma'fucker and we still have a dial-tone. Someone used to own this house and rented the basement as an apartment, so that used to be their phone line.

The upper floors have phone jacks that have lines that go into the wall, and cannot be followed. I had a dream the other night that I found the 'box' ...in the attic. Yep...there is an attic here and I've never been in it.

Let's go for an adventure. We just need a ladder Pat!

Glen's Fries' date=' the only fry truck I know of to get a write up in the Citizen's food column (and a good write up too!)

Glen is parked in front of the Canadian Tire on Richmond Rd by Island Park Dr.

I used to work at that Canadian Tire and pretty much ate every meal at that chip truck (you don't get a figure like mine from eating carrot sticks all day!)

[/quote']

That's probably how I heard of that....online, but it was definately via the SUN's website.

dam you guys got me dreuling for good poutin,even tried to go get some(from the only place I know around here that serves it...Harvey's) didnt know they close at 10 :(

so SoOn people..if Ottawa has so many great spots..where are ours?

I've been jonesing for poutine for fucking months! There are two places selling poutine in Seoul, Korea. One is the Rocky Mountain Tavern, which is a Canadian bar. The other is New York Fries (which is actually a Canadian chain). Both places though, its a far cry from true poutine. The main problem is that cheese curds are NOT available on this side of the world. Sigh..

There's a little greasy spoon on mount forest drive called Mount Royal Pizza that serves up a great poutine. They use fresh cut fries, dark beef gravy and a combo of mozza and chedder cheese. Good price too. A large can feed three people and it's only 5 bucks. Check her out Baj.

Make your own curds!

------------------------------------------------------

A SIMPLE "HARD" CHEESE

The next step in our learning process is to make a cheese that lies somewhere between a hard cheddar and a soft cottage cheese, in both end product and ease of making. It actually is what is called "cheese curds" in most supermarkets. It is hard enough for eating as finger food but does not requre the use of a cheese press. Furthermore, it can be eaten the same day it is made.

Ingredients

2 gal milk (pwd milk + 2 pints cream)

1/2 renet tablet

1/4 cup prepared mesophylic starter

Pasturize milk for 30 min at 143F

Cool to 86F

Add 1/4 cup of prepared mesophylic starter

Ripen for 60 min at 86F

Add 1/2 rennet tab disolved in 1/4 cup water, stir for one min then cover.

Hold at 86F for 60 min

CUT THE CURD

This requires another digression as we skipped this step in our cottage cheese. Cutting the curd is done by slicing through the curd with a knife long enough to reach the bottom. Start anywhere near the edge of the kettle and make slices about one inch apart all the way across to the other side. Then do the same at right angles. You now have 1 inch "cubes" as long as your kettle is deep. Now slant your knife at about 45 degrees, starting at any edge and work your way across the kettle from several different sides. You should end up with lots of small pieces of curd. At someone's suggestion, I tried a long French whisk instead of the knife and found it to work like a charm. I simply press it to the bottom, give it a half turn, lift it and move to another location. Makes very nice small curds.

The purpose of cutting the curd is to begin the water/whey removal process by increasing the surface area of the curds. Under controlled conditions, it also determines how much acid is produced by controlling the amount of lactose that is allowed to convert to acid.

The byword here and in all further stirring and handling of the curd is gentle. Rough treatment will destroy the adhesion of the curds and produce a mess.

After cutting the curd:

Heat very slowly to 102F, stirring gently to distribute the heat

Hold at 102F for one hour, stirring occasionally to keep the curds separated

Pour into cheesecloth lined collinder and drain for about 30 minutes

Return matted curds to kettle and break into bite-sized pieces

Sprinkle on 1 3/4 tbs of salt and mix thoroughly

Place in shallow bowl lined with paper towell and air dry for a day or two,

stiring occasionally and replacing the paper towell as necessary.

We have just made "CHEESE CURDS" which can be eaten at any time and will keep for about two weeks in the refridgerator.