Jambands.ca

Yowsers...Bombers in Canada

rubberdinghy

damn i missed this all weekend too.

holyshit.

my teenage days consisted of bush parties and skinny dipping in lake erie... our explosives were pop rockets.. now kids plan to bomb the peace tower and the parliament buildings and spend their allowance on ammonium nitrate. what the f is the world coming to? :( :(

It's not so much "What is the world coming to?" it's more the rest of the world is coming to us. Fanaticism abounds in the world, and has been around for a long time; while Canada has seemed immune (which it isn't, as the Air India bombing and the FLQ madnesses demonstrate), it was only a matter of time until it got here. :(

Aloha,

Brad

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that some of you are suprised and or shocked that terrorist activities are 'all of a suddden,' occuring in Canada.

To this I ask:

Are you kidding?

Do you all really think Canada is some kind of political bubble?

Do you think that terrorists overlook the fact that Canada, in many respects, stands for everything they despise?

Do you really think the whole, 'we're not as bad as the U.S." card is going to hold out for that much longer?

Was Canada not on the list of sacred enemies Bin Laden unleashed a few years back?

If it was a matter of time, I can't believe it's taken this long to find them.

Welcome to a more American Canada.

When I heard that most of the people involved were from Mississauga, I had to read through the list of suspects this morning to see if any of my old students from U of T were on it (none were, though I did have a jolt with one similar name). For some reason Mississauga is a magnet for semi-affluent religious conservatives of every stripe - Muslim, Christian, Sikh, Hindu, you name it. Some of the former used to really glare when I said that putting the PBUH (Peace Be Unto Him) after every instance of "Muhammad" in an essay was contrary to standard academic protocol.

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that some of you are suprised and or shocked that terrorist activities are 'all of a suddden,' occuring in Canada.

To this I ask:

Are you kidding?

Do you think that terrorists overlook the fact that Canada, in many respects, stands for everything they despise?

Do you really think the whole, 'we're not as bad as the U.S." card is going to hold out for that much longer?

Was Canada not on the list of sacred enemies Bin Laden unleashed a few years back?

If it was a matter of time, I can't believe it's taken this long to find them.

The only thing I think anyone conveyed surprise at was that Dinghy missed the news on the weekend. I think too that the thread title makes it sound like this is a n00b thread ;) I posted the story on friday, and obviously Dinghy was drunk.

I am surprised that they still sell that type of fertillizer though. Isn't that the easiest way to make a massively deadly bomb?

It's not an American phenomenon... It's been happening for centuries...

I am surprised that they still sell that type of fertillizer though. Isn't that the easiest way to make a massively deadly bomb?

It's also an easy way to make massively delicious vegetables and grains. And the people arrested last week didn't actually take delivery of ammonium nitrate; the cops delivered them a similar-looking substitute.

For all the complaining about border guards, cops, etc on here, I'd just like to say Way to go RCMP, CSIS, local police... They did a great job preventing this.

AD

For all the complaining about border guards, cops, etc on here, I'd just like to say Way to go RCMP, CSIS, local police... They did a great job preventing this.

cheers to that, it's exactly what I've been thinking since I read this post (which was when I heard about this whole thing)

Meanwhile, Toronto's police chief is urging for calm after a Toronto mosque was vandalized over the weekend.

so much pointing of the righteous, indignant finger towards the most convenient, yet least culpable, sources these days

"Naturally, the common people don't want war, but after all, its the leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifist for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country."

Hermann Goering, Hitler's Reich-Marshall

at the Nuremberg Trials after WWII

It's not an American phenomenon... It's been happening for centuries...

For all the complaining about border guards' date=' cops, etc on here, I'd just like to say Way to go RCMP, CSIS, local police... They did a great job preventing this.

AD

[/quote']

Terrorism has been around for a long time. I'll agree to that. Attacks on North American soil is a phenomenon that's been happening for centuries? No, it's actually new. The country itself has barely been around for a few centuries. So, this type of activity, here in North America, is relatively new. And yes, welcome to a more American Canada with capatalism, democracy and freedom of religion running rampant, the differences are falling into grey areas, especially from the perspective of terrorists. And yes, thank you to all the proper authorities who prevented this.

And bouche, cows will never stop shitting, hence, ammonium nitrate, or something similar will always pour from their bowels. Unless you want to tell Bush to label cows as terrorists, this will keep happening.

Edited by Guest

one could argue that colonization, slavery, residential schools, etc etc. were all forms of terrorism.... state-sponsored of course, but still the same result.

canada has always been democratic, capitalist....

i just don't understand your point, that's all...

ad

I think we're getting a little general here. The motivation, impetus, etcetera, for this specific type of terrorism, in this specific location, is something new to the late 20th century and the beginning of this millenium. Canada has always been all of the above; capatalist, democratic, religiously free, etc, but has not, until recently, been viewed as anything but mostly neutral and a little brother to the US. Now we're in Afghanistan. Go figure...

I think we're getting a little general here. The motivation, impetus, etcetera, for this specific type of terrorism, in this specific location, is something new to the late 20th century and the beginning of this millenium. Canada has always been all of the above; capatalist, democratic, religiously free, etc, but has not, until recently, been viewed as anything but mostly neutral and a little brother to the US. Now we're in Afghanistan. Go figure...

yeah, i guess so. with Air India in the 1980s being a huge glaring exception to the rule.

i'm still glad we're not in iraq!

ad

I think we're getting a little general here. The motivation' date=' impetus, etcetera, for this specific type of terrorism, in this specific location, is something new to the late 20th century and the beginning of this millenium. Canada has always been all of the above; capatalist, democratic, religiously free, etc, but has not, until recently, been viewed as anything but mostly neutral and a little brother to the US. Now we're in Afghanistan. Go figure...[/quote']

yeah, i guess so. with Air India in the 1980s being a huge glaring exception to the rule.

You can go back even further: the FLQ crisis in 1970.

Aloha,

Brad

i think i get it YATS.. without having to make a case for terrorism, and Air India and FLQ aside, i think we as Canadians have collectively felt 'different' than the US, and perhaps less of a target. i know from YATS original post of this:

Are you kidding?

my overwhelming answer to all of those questions was YES!!!!!!

terrorism in the past was isolated. media outlets didn't deliver us the stories of car bombings and hijackings and suicide bombers with our daily coffees.. nowadays, it does and in doing so, gives new ideas to people who are easily susceptible to this kind of stuff.. young people like the punks who were arrested in this specific example.

it's really the power of information and what really can be accomplished by having a little bit of it. f'ing bill gates..

So, Birdy, this is all the fault of the freedom of information modern technology has given us? See no evil, hear no evil? I don't buy it.

i wouldn't say it's 'ALL' the fault of information technology, but i do think IT plays a huge role in some of this stuff..

you don't subscribe to 'see no evil, hear no evil'? i do. you can't hate something that you can't even imagine. information technology lets you imagine. media has an EXTREMELY powerful effect on people. that's why i get so heated up over michael moore talk.