16. Bangers 'n' Mash

17. There There

18. How To Disappear Completely

19. Down Is The New Up

20. My Iron Lung

21. Lucky

22. 4 Minute Warning

23. Everything In Its Right Place

They completely pummelled us into submission by the third tune. By the end of it, Bouche was dancing like Thom. He's converted. Down Is The New Up has waaaaaaaay too much potential. Great song.

Barr Bros

Song > PO Box 216

Sleepyhead

Birembau

Sarah Through the Wall

Chelsea Hotel (Leonard Cohen tune)

Andrew's Song In 9

Poor Boy

Something like that. Andrew's Song In 9 is a monster. Blane taped it, so grab the download for that alone.

I cant remember the Sister Brother setlist. I know they did Angel Band, a Stanley Bros song, Rubberball and a few others. Fantastic harmonies. A little rough here and there with a couple of trainwrecks but the humour made up for it.

Blane had the line of the night.

"We've been fucking spoiled with music today."

Guest Low Roller

The Arcade Fire were spotted in the audience during the Radiohead show..... Look for them again tonight.

That setlist looks smooooth.

The Arcade Fire were spotted in the audience during the Radiohead show.....

Arcade Fire were spotted ahead of me in line picking up my tickets... they're just normal people though. I'm glad they like good music.

AD

Can't say I disagree with this review one bit.

AD

Rocked out Radiohead begs fans' indulgence

New material. Not one of band's better shows

T'CHA DUNLEVY, The Gazette

Published: Sunday, June 11, 2006

It was a treat and an indulgence. Visionary British rock band Radiohead landed at Place des Arts last night for the first of two soldout shows.

The last couple times singer Thom Yorke and his mates played Montreal, it was under the night skies of Parc Jean Drapeau to crowds of 20,000. So yes, a treat. And the indulgence - a third of their set list consisted of new material that won't see a release date until sometime next year.

The night started on familiar turf - the dubby electronic bass and static-tinged rhythm of The Gloaming. Yorke was already in fine form, dancing with spastic abandon. Equal parts eerie and beautiful.

The pace picked up with Kid A's National Anthem, the funky beat and recognizable guitar line eliciting eager cheers. On 2+2=5, Yorke's soaring lament gave way to a rock out freak out, including more crazy dancing.

For Radiohead fans, the above three songs are known quantities. The next song, however, was not - and the difference could be felt immediately. To a rhythm of bass drum and hand claps (with the band unpretentiously leading the crowd) began 15 Step, a spiritual, soul-tinged number lightened by Jonny Greenwood's melodic guitar. As Phil Selway's beat veered toward drum-and-bass, Yorke continued his Peanuts shuffle.

But those figuring they had the band's number were in for more surprises. After Morning Bell came two more newbies, Nude and Videotape. The former was notable for its warmth, soulfulness and, could it be, hope? - this was not the cold alienation the band can now conjure in its sleep. The latter began as a hymn, with Yorke at the piano. It built into a driving rocker, at the end of which Yorke stood, looking out on the crowd.

Later, on House of Cards, the band verged on catchy, even peppy pop, as Yorke sang, "I don't want to be your friend / I just want to be your lover."

The ante was upped on Bangers 'n' Mash, a gritty, groovy jam that found Yorke on tambourine before sitting down at a mini drum set to accompany Selway, as crunchy guitar riffs lifted the song to a cluttered climax.

This was not Radiohead's best show. The pacing was off at times, and the mix of old and new was distracting, with the old stuff feeling dated at times. But back to the treat/indulgence concept, the night was more of a consensual excursion.

The new songs are interesting. They offer insight into the creative process of a band that finally appears to be emerging from its apocalyptic discomfort. Last night, we got to see the future being tinkered with on the spot. The band is back this evening.

Two-man band the Black Keys opened with a raging synthesis of blues and classic rock in a set that brought some fans to their feet.

What a great day of music!

Sister Brother started us off with a fun hour or so of great tunes. And then off to Radiohead where LJFH and I were in the 15th row on the floor on Johnny's side...what a treat to watch him play! And Thom certainly did "dance with spastic abandon." Then we hopped in a cab back to the Acadamy Club (name??) for a fun set by the Barr Brothers. Back to the hotel where we filled our tummies with beer and drifted off to sleep!

I'm liking the new Radiohead songs quite a bit...Bangers 'n' Mash was alot of fun and the 4 Minute Warning was beautiful. Of course, I still love to hear my old time favs and we'll see if anymore of them come out tonight.

Until then, MIMOSAS!!!

Guest Low Roller

Montreal, night #2...

01 You And Whose Army

02 The National Anthem

03 15 Step

04 Open Pick

05 Exit Music (For A Film)

06 Where I End And You Begin

07 Videotape

08 Nude

09 I Might Be Wrong

10 Paranoid Android

11 Go Slowly

12 I Want None Of This

13 Myxomatosis

14 There There

15 No Surprises

16 Bangers 'N Mash

17 Everything In Its Right Place

Encore 1

18 A Wolf At The Door

19 Down Is The New Up

20 Black Star [is introduced as a new one]

21 Karma Police

Encore 2

22 Spooks

23 Planet Telex

That looks like a killer setlist.

I have to edit my thoughts and say 'Holy shit the Sunday setlist is amazing.' I want to trade experiences, Saturday for Sunday.

One of my favourite non-show moments of Saturday was the pre-show music. They were playing some good stuff. People got up and danced and cheered / clapped after Peaches' 'Fuck the Pain Away', it was great.

Anyone know the really heavy dub / dancehall track that was played? I was loving it.

AD

Oh, I'm a little jealous of the folks who got to hear Paranoid Android and Karma Police last night but I had a great time at Saturday's show regardless. I'm a casual Radiohead fan and this was my first time seeing them live. It won't be my last! Even if you only kinda like the band, seeing them in that setting with such an energized audience is a definite thrill. The light show was crazy. The cool venue was an added bonus!

Book-ended by a couple of Barr brother shows, that was one killer 8 hour block of music/good times! I preferred the Sister Brother set more than the Duo. Half-way through "Handle Me With Care" I realized how great it would be to see this band at Mavericks. "Angel Band" was a really nice surprise as I've seen Phil & Friends as well as The Dead do this live and I couldn't help but think of Vince Welnick. Free concerts + $3.50 beers = hard to beat!!

Montreal is awesome.

Montreal was laden with treasures this weekend - it was difficult to harness everything that was available to us. The weekend was filled with one pure moment after another. Pure musical perfection, fabulous company, and an aura of incisive delight.

Thank you Radiohead. Thank you brothers Barr. My face hurts from all the smiling. My legs ache from all the dancing. I’m still on such a high, that I didn’t even mind returning to my 8 x 8 cubicle coffin. A genuine grin has settled into my lips.

Guest Low Roller

Is it true that they were busting tapers at the second Radiohead show? The Radiohead message board is alight about tightass security, but then again that board is always filled with whiners.

sweeeheet!

I shit-you-not, but tears welled up from down deep inside when Thom did that solo piano thingy. Dripping tears from sissy-face Mikey here!

Montreal was laden with treasures this weekend - it was difficult to harness everything that was available to us. The weekend was filled with one pure moment after another. Pure musical perfection, fabulous company, and an aura of incisive delight.

My legs ache from all the dancing. I’m still on such a high, that I didn’t even mind returning to my 8 x 8 cubicle coffin. A genuine grin has settled into my lips.

I could not sum up the weekend any better than that.