Jambands.ca

who's drunk????

Calamity Jane

I grew up surrounded by people that used those phrases routinely, and I'm sad to say it took a while to get the right perspective. Waterloo was pretty damn homogenous, and concommittantly stupid, and that's just infectious. It's one of those things that I despair over, watching humanity in action.

We had an interesting time trying to sort out just what to do with "Jew's harp". Can any musicologists here set that one straight?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We had an interesting time trying to sort out just what to do with "Jew's harp". Can any musicologists here set that one straight?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew%27s_harp

The Jew's harp is one of the oldest musical instruments in the world. It is also sometimes called a jaw harp or juice harp, among other names, and has no particular connection with Jews or Judaism.

I don't particularly like the phrase, so usually just call it thattwangytwangythingthatgetscoveredinspittle.

Aloha,

Brad

I know I'm not a drunkard, but I think it really comes down a factual test. I think if you gave every Jewish person a thermometer, you'd find that your statement is not universally true.

If the statement indicates an untrue or unverifiable fact that generalizes about a group (and it is always questionable whether Jews are a "race") then it is racist or at least an untrue generalization about an identifiable group, which amounts to the same thing; in my opinion.

I was discussing with one of my students the question of whether or not the following statement is racist:

"Jewish people are cool."

What do all you drunkards think?

Well..I very well may be a "drunkard", but to me, cool people are just that, cool people. No matter the race/religion.