Jambands.ca

Solstice

tribalstar

I always have mixed feelings about this day. I consider myself a sufferer of SAD. This day, while having the most sunlight of any day of the year, signals the coming of the dark time. Winter is officially coming and with it the darkness. Personally I find the winter solstice more of a cause for celebration. That being said, don't get me wrong; I LOVE SUMMER!!! And this is the best summer day of them all. I've got a business meeting planned on a patio starting at 3pm this afternoon and I'm stoked!

i love summer solstice! normally my friends and i have a tradition of heading out to the lighthouse in Erieau and drinking the night away. The lighthouse has a big long walk out to it, with of course, the lighthouse on the end, but on the one side, normally covered by water when the water levels are up, there is a ledge that you can walk down to go to the opposite side of the lighthouse where there's a little ledge that can hold about 5-7 people that jets out on the water. it's an absolutely awesome spot to watch sunsets and sunrises respectively, and traditionally, our summer solstice party spot.

but it's raining today. :(

I always have mixed feelings about this day. I consider myself a sufferer of SAD. This day, while having the most sunlight of any day of the year, signals the coming of the dark time. Winter is officially coming and with it the darkness. Personally I find the winter solstice more of a cause for celebration. That being said, don't get me wrong; I LOVE SUMMER!!! And this is the best summer day of them all. I've got a business meeting planned on a patio starting at 3pm this afternoon and I'm stoked!

So can one extrapolate from this that you're all cheery on December 21st? That's kinda wacky innit?

Willy you are NUTS! being bummed on the longest day of the year because days will get shorter now? i can't think of anything more pessimistic.

IT'S SUMMER!!!

so, today is only the second longest day of the year. bummer about that eh? oh wait....IT'S THE SECOND LONGEST DAY OF THE YEAR!!!

:)

i'm with willy on this one. i LOOOOOOVE summer. but there's no denying things are turning around once summer solstice happens...and WHY is it hotter after solstice than it is before? the winter one gives you something to look forward to, the summer one puts me into denial.

So can one extrapolate from this that you're all cheery on December 21st? That's kinda wacky innit?

You bet dude. I think that's the greatest day of the year! Seriously! It means summer is coming and I love summer. I usually throw a party around that day just to celebrate. Sometimes the party gets kind of crazy.

at "the Dive", the bowling lanes/pool hall I hung out at during my misspent youth, there was this overtly sullen guy who never said anything

but if you asked him what time it was he replied, without fail:

"Midnight."

I loved that guy

That wouldn't have been Sherwood Lanes would it have? I too spent far too much time in that place mastering my Snooker skills only to grow up and find that no one plays Snooker anymore. It's too bad too because it's a FAR better game than Boston.