Jambands.ca

CSNY 07/10 Toronto Setlist

MarcO

Flags Of Freedom / Wooden Ships / Long Time Gone / Military Madness / Wounded World / After The Garden / Living With War / The Restless Consumer / Shock And Awe / They Want It All / Feed The People / Immigration Man / Families

Helplessly Hoping / Our House / Only Love Can Break Your Heart / Milky Way Tonight / Guinnevere / Carry Me / Treetop Flyer / Roger And Out / Southbound Train / Old Man Trouble / Teach Your Children / Southern Cross / Find The Cost Of Freedom // Let's Impeach The President / For What It's Worth / Chicago / Ohio / What Are Their Names / Rockin' In The Free World

Woodstock

that was an insane show. Can't get into it too much right now but suffice it to say I am SO GLAD I made the last-minute decision to go. That was inspiring and inspired. TimmyB was practically levitating by the end.

I'll try to post more later but hopefully Timmy will fill y'all in first...... awesome show!!!!

Nice to hear that you enjoyed it Marc. I am regretting now that I did not get tickets. I figured after seeing them a couple of times over the last few years (and given the steep ticket prices) that I had probably seen it all. But this looks like a unique couple of sets. How were the vocals? (Last few times I saw them I thought Stills was struggling to say the least).

Nonetheless I absolutely love CSNY, and wish that I had taken this in...

I didn't think Stills was gonna make it through the show in 2002. Last night, he was in much better shape, although his voice is basically shot. It was Timmy (surprise surprise) who noticed Neil replacing Stephen's parts in many of the classic CSN harmonies. But hey, Stills played a mean guitar all night to make up for it.

This show was miles ahead of last time, although my reasoning may not be quite the same as for others:

First, and most importantly, the show is hevily coloured by Neil's latest, "Living With War". With the exception of the mellow acoustic sequence to open set two, basically the whole show was a reaction to this new Neil Young material. It is significant that Neil chose to play almost the entire album last night, leaving less room for the hits. Which was damn fine with me, since that material is so good and I am very sympathetic to it's concerns.

So, basically, the whole show amounted to a 3 and a half hour peace rally.

Secondly, there was very little in the gratuitous grand-standing and show-boating I remember from last time. They held back on high-fiving each other after every line, hugging during guitar solos, all that - last night, they were focused: one great song about War & Peace after another, a thrilling ride. The visuals were simple, focused and left little to the imagination.

Finally, they just sounded great, simple as that. They were into it (maybe being so early in the tour pays off) as a whole, the harmonies were glorious (Southern Cross just about gave me a heart-attack) and the guitar playing deeply psychedelic, especially from our man Neil. God, it was great to see him just strangling that old black Les Paul again.

The audience sat for the most part, not a surprise. But after the joy of screaming "Let's Impeach The President" back to Neil came the civil rights 1-2-3 punch of "For What It's Worth" > "Chicago" > "Ohio" and then "Rockin' In The Free World" made me jump out of my seat and run up to the landing just so I could jump up and down and pump my fist and scream like a fucking freak. I couldn't possibly sit anymore, all that great music and heavy politics just got me riled up.

Make no mistake: if you prefer musicians leave their political opinions at home, this is totally not a show for you.

The sound in the ACC was surprisingly crisp, clean and balanced from where we were.

And we got to sit next to AfroPoppa and his crew, very cool people to spend an evening with.

I'm really busy today, as I have been for the past few weeks, but I will say this, that was my tenth Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young concert last night and it was bar far and away the best CSNY show that I have ever been in attendance.

They did exactly what I wanted them to do, which was be relentless in their message of what their tour is called "Freedom of Speech '06," and I thank them for it.

I will write a whole review about both gigs after tonights show.

But for those who saw CSNY in 2000 or in 2002 or if you were lucky before those two tours and think that tonight's show will be the same as those, it won't be.

If you hate the War in Iraq and Afghanistan, "the Chimpanzee that is currently in the White House," what is going down with our borders with our brothers and sisters to the south, then you should go to this gig.

Peace and Love,

Tim

Edited by Guest

Wow what a show, It was my first CSNY show and it definatley won't be my last (seeing as how I have tickets for tonight as well).

I am very glad that I got into the Living With War album as it allowed me to enjoy those parts of the show while my friend didn't really understand it as much. The "Let's Impeach the President" was amazing, they put the lyrics up on the screens for everyone to read and sing along with. There were so many highlights that its just too hard to name. I would definately say the 2nd set was better. If only for the Southern Cross and Find the Cost of Freedom. Both songs were awsome, for Find the Cost of Freedom they showed faces of all the American soldiers who have died in Iraq while keeping a tally of the dead (which kept going up all through the song).

As someone who really agrees with what these guys are saying I felt in absolute awe. I am happy that there are people who have at least some "power" voicing their opinions on the stupidity going on in the world today, in a time where I feel (especially with those who are closer to my age) that it is "uncool" to be rebellious like people were in the 60s.

Like MarcO said, I had to get up and dance for Ohio/What are Their Names/Rockin' In The Free World. I was upset that no one was dancing and standing but I am going to try and change that tonight. Oh, the funniest moment of the night was when the security asked me (and I believe MarcO) to sit in our seats during Rockin' In The Free World. I flat out told the guy "no" and then asked him if he knew what song was playing. When he said no, I told him its "Rockin' in the Free World". He let us dance till the end of the song.

Big shout out goes to MarcO and TimmyB for jammin hard! Hope to see you guys tonight!

Edited by Guest

Timmy will be there for sure. Me, last night was my one off.

The security guard was cool, just doing his job. When he asked me to sit I just told him that this would be the last song and he was cool about it. When it was over he asked me to sit down and I complied.

No harm, no foul.

I appreciated having you in our area, 'fro'pa. Your enthusiasm was contagious.