Jambands.ca

moe.down7 line up is so bad.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"if there are more bands I don't care about seeing it just means more time to RAGE!!!! "

what the hell does that even mean.

whats the matter with you?

its just frustrating to me, that the biscuits a band that is younger/smaller and has been throwing festivals for less time can bring this line up to the table (and camp bisco draws half as many people)...and moe. has to put together a bunch of filth...now i'm not saying all the acts at moe.down are filth...but the line up as a whole, is filth...any none moe. fan would shit all over this line up..its pathetic.

CAMP BISCO:

The Roots: huge, international hip hop act, that has videos, mainstream appeal, but is still concious hip hop. The Roots sold out 2 nights at The KOOL HAUS in toronto... a venue that is way too big for moe. THIS ACT IS BIGGER THAN THE BISCUITS

Thievory Corporation: one of the biggest name is Bassafunk/dub electronica. countless albums with huge names, access to the coveted "VERVE VAULT"...once again "INTERNATIONAL ACT" THIS ACT IS BIGGER THAN THE BISCUITS.

Shpongle - (Simon Posford) Twisted, UK HOLY SHIT...need i say more? THIS ACT IS BIGGER THAN THE BISCUITS.

Brazilian Girls: once again, up and comming act, one of the biggest surprises at bonnaroo...small act, however NOT A JAMBAND, and not run of the mill...also, INTERNATIONAL. this act will probably be bigger than the biscuits.

The New Deal: not a jamband, trancends genres, huge and incredible.

RJD2: one of hip hop's finest. RJD2 is bigger than the biscuits in many respects.

The Benevento Russo Duo: icing on the cake ...jamband appeal, but at least they are intresting.

Younger Brother (Hallucinogen, Shpongle/Prometheus) HOLY SHIT.

this act is bigger than the biscuits.

and the rest:

and even the smaller acts are inresting....

Perpetual Groove - The Juan Mclean - Lotus - Brothers Past - Pnuma Trio - Mike Myers -local 13/XM RADIO - Adam Deitch Project - Benzos - Psylab - Infradig - Future Rock (Performing the music of Aphex Twin) - Orchard Lounge - Elemental Harmonics - Moonbox - Moving Matter - Japhy Ryder

I will agree with you here Camp Bisco has a waay more engaging line-up for my tastes.

However, Camp Bisco is an electronic/livetronic festival and that being the focus, that influences who they hire to play.

Moe Down, is a jam-band festival so one cannot expect them to have that type of programming.

So if you like the Camp Bisco line-up, why not go there instead? Looks good, and it's in N.Y. State?

Matisyahu especially being there. The guy is hugely popular now and played Bonnaroo's second stage this year...

I'm kind of baffled as to why this guy is popular. It's interesting, from a sociological viewpoint, that there are many more talented and interesting contemporary reggae artists out there that are entirely ignored by the media and the public. The main reason for his popularity seems to be the novelty of seeing a Hasidic Jew singing reggae - in the same way that Vanilla Ice received much more attention than he deserved just because he was a white guy doing dancehall reggae. I'm willing to bet that if he were a black Jamaican doing exactly the same material he would be much less popular and would be virtually ignored by the media.

Matisyahu especially being there. The guy is hugely popular now and played Bonnaroo's second stage this year...

I'm kind of baffled as to why this guy is popular. It's interesting' date=' from a sociological viewpoint, that there are many more talented and interesting contemporary reggae artists out there that are entirely ignored by the media and the public. The main reason for his popularity seems to be the novelty of seeing a Hasidic Jew singing reggae - in the same way that Vanilla Ice received much more attention than he deserved just because he was a white guy doing dancehall reggae. I'm willing to bet that if he were a black Jamaican doing exactly the same material he would be much less popular and would be virtually ignored by the media.

[/quote']

maybe so, but have you ever seen Matisyahu live? His shows are so high energy and danceable! It is no "novelty" that he is Hasidic and sings reggae since he legitmately hasidic. He is someone doing something that has never been done before and making good music at the same time. Comparing Matisyahu to Vanilla Ice is ridiculous. Vanilla Ice was heavily-produced music that was created to make money. Matisyahu (while his new studio album is kinda over produced) backs up his popularity with his live concerts and his well written lyrics. Matisyahu is extremely talented and interesting...which is why he is getting a lot of attention, not because he is jewish.

Edited by Guest

"Novelty" - i.e. the fact that you don't normally see Hasidic Jews singing reggae. I don't mean to imply that he isn't "legitimately" Hasidic.

I have not seem Matisyahu "live" live, but I have seen live footage.

He may be okay, but my point is that this kind of material is only currently popular and "acceptable" among the white college kids because it's being performed by a white guy. It's not like reggae never existed before. Like I said, if he were doing the exact same material but he was black, no one would pay attention - a theory borne out by the fact that there are many other reggae singers who are much better than Matisyahu that no one pays any attention to at all.

And I wasn't comparing Vanilla Ice's music to Matisyahu's music - I was comparing the attention paid to Vanilla Ice to the attention paid to Matisyahu. That is, once more, that if either of these artists had been black, no one would have paid attention to either of them. How often do you see the media or the general population pay major attention any reggae artist (aside from the obvious big names like Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Shaggy and maybe Burning Spear)? There are thousands of them, and you can't possibly tell me that Matisyahu is more talented than all of them.

R & B was just "nigger music" until Elvis made it huge. It's a similar phenomenon, except that Elvis was much more talented.

And why do you say that Vanilla Ice's music was created "to make money"? Did he tell you that? Do you think Matisyahu doesn't want to make any money with his music? Vanilla Ice may only have been a one-hit wonder, but he haas never stopped releasing albums - he has seven or eight, I believe. While I have never heard them and have no idea if they are any good or not, he doesn't really seem like a pre-fab Backstreet Boys.

Why does pop music have to be the enemy?

Because it's what's spoon fed to that evil "norm" and if we're better than them, and smarter, then we CAN'T agree with them, then we would not be better. So in a bid to easily maintain this better feeling, we just hate it all right from the start.

...that and it's catchy as hell.

edit to add: coincidentally, as i clicked submit, pop goes the world by men without hats came on the shuffle...nice.

Edited by Guest

Because it's what's spoon fed to that evil "norm" and if we're better than them' date=' and smarter, then we CAN'T agree with them, then we would not be better. So in a bid to easily maintain this better feeling, we just hate it all right from the start.

[/quote']

That's pretty much what I thought.

Because it's what's spoon fed to that evil "norm" and if we're better than them' date=' and smarter, then we CAN'T agree with them, then we would not be better. So in a bid to easily maintain this better feeling, we just hate it all right from the start.

[/quote']

That's pretty much what I thought.

somehow i feel like less of a unique snowflake now ;)

It doesn't matter to me who's there so long as they don't allow lawn chairs, I could care less about the general age group. Oh, if it's all jocks with way too much testosterone and wanting to fight, then I care, but not really about anything else.

I think it's franti that says the music is for everyone...

Edited by Guest

Is Matisyahu popular because his cd is available at Starbucks, or is Matisyahu's cd available at Starbucks because it's popular?

I've heard that Starbucks is North America's biggest non-virtual cd retailer, and they only carry about a dozen titles. Having your cd there has got to be good for a new career.