Jambands.ca

Teaching Classes

M.O.B.E

so I have been asked to teach the cooking upstairs at a Loblaws here in Oshawa as a part of their What's Cooking series. Im matched up with three of the top chefs in the country right now. One guy is the Governor General's Chef, the other is the Weston Family personal chef and the last is a corporate chef from Sheraton hotels.

I'm so nervous about playing with the big dogs but this is what I worked my ass off for and dreamed of for years.

Look out Emeril cuz yer really fucked now. I'm coming for your ass first!

I forgot the dates. November 9 and 16 are my first 2 dates at Loblaws in Oshawa. Let me know if you want to come and I'll hold a spot. I think the classes are free also.

Edited by Guest

I recommend rubbing it down with salt and pepper, sticking sprigs of rosemary and slivers of garlic into it, searing it in a hot pan on all sides, then slow-roasting it on a spit until the inside is rare to medium rare. :)

Aloha,

Brad

I recommend rubbing it down with salt and pepper' date=' sticking sprigs of rosemary and slivers of garlic into it, searing it in a hot pan on all sides, then slow-roasting it on a spit until the inside is rare to medium rare. :)

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

you forgot the BAMM!!!!!!!!!

I would love to. I can talk to the lady who is in charge of setting this all up for the company.

My theme is going to be, nutricious, family dinner's in the time it takes to boil water. With a 2 yearold and a new baby, Ive already mastered this so I thought I can teach other families too. Also how to involve your kids in dinner preparations.

• 2 months later...
Be sure to post this dinner online. you'll have handouts right?

I'd love to make that some night. Those potatoes sound serious good.

I sure did have handouts and here they are.

Beef Tips

1/2 lb of Sirloin or Top Sirloin, or any other stewing beef. Cubed

1 tsp Rosemary

1tsp Thyme

1 onion, diced

1 clove of garlic. minced

8 Oz of Button or Cremini Mushrooms, sliced or quartered

1/2 tsp Worchester Sauce

1 Cup Beef Stock/Broth or Boullion

1 tbsp Sour Cream

Salt and Pepper, to taste

1. To a very hot saute pan, add onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme. Saute until the onions are translucent.

2. Add the Beef. Saute until the beef starts to turn brown.

3. Add mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms start to soften. Season with Salt and Pepper

4. Add Worchester Sauce and Beef Stock and reduce the heat to the pan, allowing the stock to simmer

5. Finish with the Sour Cream.

Mash Potatoes

6-8 Large White or Yukon Gold Potatoes

1/2 cup of Milk or Cream

1 tbsp Butter

2 tsp of Grain Mustard

1. Boil Potatoes

2. Add Butter, Milk and Mustard.

3. Mash and season with Salt and Pepper

4. Whip in Sour Cream.

Roasted Acorn Squash

1 tbsp Butter

1tsp Tarragon

1. Cut the squash into quarters or eigth's and season with S&P, Tarragon and butter.

2. Roast in a preheated 400 F oven until tender.

Rosemary Sorbet with Balsamic Glaze

2 cups of water

1 cup of sugar

3 or 4 sprigs of Rosemary

Lemon juice or zest.

1/2 cup of Balsamic Vinegar

1. Bring water, sugar, rosemary, lemon zest to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes.

2. Pour into a baking tray or some kind of flat dish.

3. Freeze.

4. Score the frozen mixture with a fork to break up the ice crystals after about 25 minutes and freeze again for another 25 minutes.

5. Reduce Balsamic Vinegar over medium heat.

6. Drizzle the Balsamic Syrup over the Sorbet when just ready to serve.

well Im done until next thursday. I do it every thursday afternoon. and after christmas it will be thursday nights and every other thursday afternoon.

The class went fantastic. Everything was perfect and my timing was bang on too.

I have a new respect for teachers today too. Keeping the dialogue open and going for an hour is alot to keep track of at the same time as cooking. Also trying to explain things in non-kitchen terms or cooking terms for the people who don't know can be trying on the nerves but I think I found ways to better that for next week. Not only a teacher but also a student!

Well this week, the weather is shitty and Im feeling shitty so Im going to do a comfort food day. This is also what Im making for dinner tonite. Anyone who is hungry drop by dinner is at 6.

Chicken or Turkey Manicotti.

1lb of ground turkey or chicken

1 onion- diced

Fresh Basil

Olive Oil

Olivieri Fresh Lasagna Sheets.

750 ml tomato sauce.

2 cups of Ricotta Cheese.

2 tbsp Parmesean cheese.

Salt and Pepper to taste

*** You can also substitute ground veal for the meat.

1. In a large hot skillet add the onion and olive oil. Saute the onions until the are clear.

2. Add the chicken or turkey and brown. Add the Basil and season with Salt and Pepper. When the chicken is cooked remove from heat.

3. Stir in Ricotta Cheese and Parmesan.

4. Place 2-3 Tbsp of chicken mixute into the pasta sheet and roll it up. Place all the pasta rolls into an oven proof baking dish and cover with the tomato sauce

5. Place in a 375 preheated oven and bake for 10 minutes.

6. Enjoy.

Creme Brulee

1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean

4 cups 35% cream

6 egg yolks

1/2 cup of sugar

Brown Sugar for the top

1. preheat over to 300

2. In a saucepan bring the cream to just a boil over meduim heat.

3. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together.

4. Slowly whisk the hot cream into the eggs.

5. Divide the mixture into ramekins or a baking dish. Place the ramekins into a roasting pan and place in the oven. Fill around the ramekins with boiling water. Bake for 30 minutes

Brilliant! My Mom used to make manicotti, but (back in the 1970s) all she had access to were the dried pasta manicotti tubes, which had to be boiled until soft, then filled using a spoon. Using flat fresh pasta and rolling them up should be loads easier. Thanks, M.O.B.E.!

Edit to ask: is there any problem with the rolled-up tubes coming apart? I'd think that some kind of crimping and/or water/egg sealing would be needed.

Aloha,

Brad

Edited by Guest

Brilliant! My Mom used to make manicotti' date=' but (back in the 1970s) all she had access to were the dried pasta manicotti tubes, which had to be boiled until soft, then filled using a spoon. Using flat fresh pasta and rolling them up should be loads easier. Thanks, M.O.B.E.!

Edit to ask: is there any problem with the rolled-up tubes coming apart? I'd think that some kind of crimping and/or water/egg sealing would be needed.

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

Brad Ive never had a problem with the sheets opening. I just place them in the baking dish with the seam down. The stuffing should be wet anough to hold them together even if you just use that to stick them down.