Jambands.ca

Open-Stage @ Kelly's Welcome, Manotick (Ottawa Valley content)

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Well, it took precisely a year (to the day - has it really been so long since we moved?), but it seems I've finally got myself a gig down the road in Manotick hosting an acoustic open-stage jam. They're going to be on Saturday nights, beginning September 23rd. The more skanks show up the better, of course, so please, do come, and come often. The pub's beautiful, the mixer and speakers are over 30 years old (ok, forget I mentioned that bit - working on it), and I expect the talent that will be drawn in will be top-shelf material (I've been searching high and low for something like this to the south of the city over the last year and come up empty-handed, which means there are a lot of musicians floating around here horny to play).

Yay!!

Congrats Doc,

That's an exciting bit of news. I hope it goes well for you.

On another note, I hope that doesn't prevent us from crossing paths when the Fatties finally get their asses out to Ottawa for a show come October. What hours does the open jam span over?

Enjoy your long weekend!

Awesome (not least the idea of Jonyak doing more singing!). I can't wait to get this going, and get all you folks out to get in on it. Btw, Edger, we've got the Fatties show blocked off in big red letters on our calendar; wouldn't miss that for, well, I guess this would count as "anything" of a higher order :).

Apologies in advance for all the gratuitous bumping I'm sure to be doing as this gets closer ;).

• 3 weeks later...

Whaddya know, it looks like this thing is actually going to go through! I thought for a while I was in a pinch-me-this-can't-be-real state, but the pub has gone and had proper signs made up for it, so it would appear that they're actually serious too.

So yeah, this Saturday night! It's presently scheduled to run 9-1, which will mean plenty of time for people to do whatever they want to do.

Kelly's Welcome is at 5544 Manotick Main (a.k.a. just Main St.), on the west side of the street (and river). It looks like this:

kellys.jpg

I believe things are set to go on first floor.

It's about a 10 minute ride south from Barrhaven, straight down Riverside/River Rd. (hwy. 19).

[hands rubbing together gleefully] Yeah! [/hands rubbing together gleefully]

hey there DEM. Sounds like you got a good thing going here. I've been itching to inflict my musical urges on my new hometown of Ottawa.

Say, where is this place, relative to some landmarks that a newbie might recognize? Secondly, how does a carless downtowner get there and back?

cheers

adambrot

Inflict away!

Manotick isn't too big, and there's only one real main drag; you just need to make sure that you're on the west side of the island, and Main is the n-s road. You'll see a string of restaurants and pubs on the west side of Main - Oggi, the Black Dog, and so on; Kelly's is on the more southern side of these.

As for getting down there without a car, I don't know what a cab would cost you, but OC Transpo has a route that goes that far -

map_Manotick.gif

Hope you're able to make it!

I just finished shopping for more goodies at Long & McQuade, so now begins the process of finding out from time to time what more I'll be needing... (say, a PA that wasn't made ca. 1950 would be nice).

Depending on how you read amalgamation....

Manotick can be found in short order if you go south on Woodroffe to the end, at Prince of Wales (old hwy 16), hang a right for 2 minutes, and then go left on to the 4 for another 2 minutes. There are lots of trees in between, in other words, but not that much space.

Hope to catch you there. Do I recall correctly that you play keys? I only have a cheesy keyboard that I hadn't been planning on bringing, but will if there's any demand for one.

Hope to catch you there. Do I recall correctly that you play keys? I only have a cheesy keyboard that I hadn't been planning on bringing, but will if there's any demand for one.

nope, I play guitar... like much of the rest of the musical world I guess. And I sing. I also have my songbook with 300+ songs in it, heavy on Beatles, Grateful Dead, Phish, Wilco and Radiohead.

I'm currently working in my office (always last minute to prepare my courses for Monday) but I have it on the radar with a friend of mine.

Hope to see you there

adambrot

Too bad it didn't work out. It was a... curious opening night, but while it started off not a little tentatively, it turned into a real blast. There wasn't much advance publicity, so it was really about turning a regular Saturday night's pub-ites into a raging live karaoke machine. It worked terrifically well, though. Yes - God bless good beer. Having fellow THB bandmate Jon there to fill things out (and lend a PA speaker, to sub for the fifty-year old Trainor monster that didn't really work) was enormously helpful; next time I'll convince him to actually get to setting up his keys, for he rocks.

But the manager was very enthused by what he saw and heard, so it looks like this will in fact be a regular thing - yay!

Now, on to my homework - learning/printing the words and music for dozens of Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Hip, Trooper, AC/DC, and Eagles tunes.... Not much familiarity with the Dead or Phish in this crowd, alas (and, well, of course).

Edited by Guest
typing

Well, it took precisely a year (to the day - has it really been so long since we moved?), but it seems I've finally got myself a gig down the road in Manotick hosting an acoustic open-stage jam. They're going to be on Saturday nights, beginning September 23rd. The more skanks show up the better, of course, so please, do come, and come often. The pub's beautiful, the mixer and speakers are over 30 years old (ok, forget I mentioned that bit - working on it), and I expect the talent that will be drawn in will be top-shelf material (I've been searching high and low for something like this to the south of the city over the last year and come up empty-handed, which means there are a lot of musicians floating around here horny to play).

Yay!!

Hey, congrats to setting that up Dave!

Now the next step is to setup a shuttle bus! hey DINGHY!!!!! Got any ideas?