Jambands.ca

Scotland vacation tips, anyone?

backbacon

Myself and the family are going to Scotland for a couple weeks. Landing in Edinburgh and staying there for two nights or so and going to visit my Dad's aunt in Lochearnhead (sp?) and staying thre for two nights. We fly out of London 18 days after landing. This leaves a huge chunk of time to fill up. Does anyone have any experience travelling in Scotland/ England? I'm certainly going to get a couple rounds of golf in and do lots of pubbing, castle seeing, etc. Any guidance would be great! Thanks.

Well, I am not sure where that town is you mentioned, but I couldn't fathom going to Scotland without making the trek North, up near Inverness and Aberdeen and points beyond. I had the most unbelievable hikes up there, through ancient woods with sheep lazily dotting the landscape, rolling hills and brisk breezes: heaven on earth.

If you are a interested in soccer, a pilgrimage to Celtic Park in Glasgow wouldn't go amiss.

Loch Ness is an interesting thing to visit but in my opinion, you don't really need more than a couple of hours there. I recall it being very touristy.

And don't underestimate Edinburgh! It's gorgeous, and be sure to take a tour of the Edinburgh castle!

Then there's Stirling Castle in........ yup, Stirling!

And be sure to visit a whiskey distillery at nine in the morning. I can recommend this heartily!

I wish I was going with you!

definitely go to Celtic Park, and try and catch a game somewhere in your travels in Scotland... Edinburgh rocks!!! the place is a lot of fun, if you are looking for things to do while you are there, head to the Princess St. West Backpackers---lots of friendly travel folk there and there is a pub inside. If there is anything going on, people there will know. Also, you could consider going to Fort William, Ben Nevis?? not sure of the spelling, but, its in the mountains, nice place to go for a hike and a cool little town as well.

go and see David Livingstone's house just outside Motherwell. I also reccommend a trip to Ayr to see the Lighthouse. It is one of the coolest nightclubs in the world.

Sauchiehall St in Glasgow is where all the fun happens at night. Try the Garage, Finnagan's Wake, and if you can find a student to sign you in try to go to one of the student unions I recommend the 'Caley' or Asylum at Caledonian University, located at Buchanan St and Suachiehall St. Its cheap to drink in them and the party goes all night. Don't forget the Barra's on saturday too. It is one of the biggest black markets in the world. The oldest pub in Glasgow is a good stop too. It is called Drummonds and it is in Georges Square.

I'm from Toryglen, Glasgow. I like the west coast of Scotland and I know it inside out.

You can take the train pretty much anywhere you want to go and if there isnt a train there is bus service. It wont cost must as long as you are staying in Scotland.

If you would like I can contact my cousin, she has shown friends of mine around the 'toon' a few times for me. I know she can get you into the student unions too.

I had to edit to add FUCK CELTIC PARK. Go see Ibrox its in Govan, theres more to see and more trophies in the Blue Room.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for all the great info, everybody! This will really help in setting up some sort of itinerary.

Let's see, so far I have developed plans to spy on lazy sheep, find an ominous lake monster, get into a fist fight with some Brits, visit some castles, go to a certain park, fuck said park, go somewhere else, tote a brolly, clog my arteries, go to some shady market, visit a kooky castle keeper and ask about a secret passageway... what else.

Seriously though, thanks for all the insights and inspirations... I shall take everything into consideration when planning the trip.

Esau, looking forward to the list of thigns to do from you lil bro. Thanks.

MOBE, sounds like some fun in Glasgow, thanks for all the suggestions, I'll let you know if I decide to go the student union route. I'll have to see how much downtime away from the family this trip will offer. The black market sound interesting... probably check that out. And yeah, I've heard the west coast is nice... I think we're planning to head down that way and into England on our way to London.

We have two cars between 6 people so it shouldn't be too hard to slip away for days here and there.

We leave on the 7th and return on the 24th. (Of September) So yeah, a few more days left if there are more suggestions.

some Gaelic phrases may help:

"Ciamar a tha sibh?" (KIM-mer uh HAH shiv?) "How are you?"

"Tha gu math"(HAH guh MAH) "I'm well"

"Càit a bheil an taigh beag?" (KAHTCH uh vehl un tye bek?) "Where's the bathroom?"

"Slàinte mhòr agad!" (SLAHN-tchuh VORR AH-kut!) "Great health to you!" ("Cheers!")

or just Slaite Mhath (SLAHN-tchuh VAH) Cheers

"Can a-rithist sin?" (kahn uh-REE-isht shin) "Say that again?"

"Chan eil mi a' tuigsinn." (chan-yel mi uh-TOOK-shin) "I don't understand."

"Tapadh leat." (TAH-puh LAHT -- also -- TAHplett) "Thank you."

"Mòran taing." (MAW-run TAH-eeng) "Many thanks."

"'Se do bheatha." (sheh doe VEH-huh) "You're welcome."

Pòg mo thòin (Poage ma hone) Kiss my arse