Jambands.ca

Let's All Hate Toronto

DevO

Toronto is a beautiful city. I love going there. It's access to culture and diversity is a gift.

I'm proud to be from Hamilton. The people here are the salt of the earth - unpretentious and big hearted with a wicked sense of humour.

I am glad I grew up in a small town and could go to the small town grocer, the small town butcher, the small town hemp store, the modest libraries and schools, the parks, the diversity of architecture, the winding streets and little rivers.

I love being able to drive fifteen minutes in one direction and suddenly I am surrounded by farmland and open skies.

I think Dima has a lot of growing up to do.

agreed. i lived in hamilton for 5 years and have fond memories of westdale and cootes paradise. niffermouse lived in toronto when we met, and have very fond memories of exporing the neighbourhoods of toronto.

we live in a small town now, and are within walking distance of woodland trails and farmland, and are a few minutes drive from the bruce trail and the organic farm where we do most of our shopping.

incidentally, i'd like to ask about the expression "salt of the earth." dr evil mouse once pointed out to me that departing conquering armies used to salt the earth so that crops would not grow.

being told you are "the salt of the earth" may not be a good thing. discuss.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toronto is an awesome city. I love it. I just wish they hadn't fallen in that "world class" trap. All that means is hotels and restaurants can charge more.

Kingston: the first of the two cities you pass on your way to montreal. the second ofcourse, being ottawa.

Dima, if you're driving from Toronto to Montreal and passing through Ottawa, not only do you add an extra hour onto your trip but you're missing one of the scummiest cities in the country. I'm talking of course about Cornwall Ontario, where the official slogan is "What's that smell?"

I abhore small towns and small town thinking and the pace of life there. Cool to visit for a vacation' date=' but wouldn't want to live there. Nor do I want to know everyone in town, or talk to them everytime I pass them on the street. The anonimity in Toronto is very liberating.

[/quote']

wow, i feel sorry for you!

can i please ask what the FUCK is "small town thinking" and what exactly there is to "ABHOR" about the pace of life in a small town??

Mighty big judgement there fella. One strike against Toronto, in my books.

Hold the phone there Birdy! I'm happy to explain...it's not like I'm Dimafleck or something.

First, simply becuase you live in a small town does not mean you nessesarily are guilty of "small town thinking". It simply means, that type of thinking often prevades small towns. What I mean by small town thinking is; "Generally close-minded, sometimes racists/prejudice type of attitude, that serves only those who are the majority int hat community". This attitude is often held by those who work in factories in small town, ride unemployement and are on crack or career alcaholics. (see Kitchener/Brantford/Cambridge etc...) Having said that there are great people in those town who do good everyday and are a credit to thier towns.

I have encountered this in many small southern Ontario (it gets worse the more north you go)and certainly in American towns. And I'm a white dude, I can't imagine what it would be like if I was a visable minority.)

And as for abhoring the pace of life, it is not a slight to those who like the slow country pace. I simply do not. I like the speed of the city the access and convenience of everything. I like getting a lot done quick and multitasking to pack as much in a day as possible.

My little rant was simply my view and it holds no more weight than your statement in this thread that you hate Toronto. That's cool, it's your view.

So you keep lovin' Chatam and I'll keep lovion' th e T-dot and everyone lives happily ever after.

Oh, and don't feel sorry for me I love the city life and I like to visit small towns. I just never want to stay in them longer than 10days max. If I lived in a small town then you could feel sorry for me 'cause I'd be miserable. Like if you lived in Toronto.

Edited by Guest

okkk chameleon.. thanks for clarifying.. just seems like lately i've been on the receiving end of a 'holier than thou' vibe that's radiating westward from the GTA and it drives me insane. my earlier post should have been in purple.. i'm really sarcastic.. toronto doesn't suck, nor do small towns. what sucks are the "small town" attitudes, and the attitudes that, unfortunately, some Torontonians adopt in thinking that one's geographical location can somehow make the man. not a big fan of that stuff.

so yeah, i'll go on loving chatham, you can go on loving toronto and i'll gladly make the distinction between you and dimafleck. haha... sorry to be so snarly.. i gaver last night. :)

What I mean by small town thinking is; "Generally close-minded, sometimes racists/prejudice type of attitude, that serves only those who are the majority int hat community". This attitude is often held by those who work in factories in small town, ride unemployement and are on crack or career alcaholics. (see Kitchener/Brantford/Cambridge etc...) Having said that there are great people in those town who do good everyday and are a credit to thier towns.

I have encountered this in many small southern Ontario (it gets worse the more north you go)and certainly in American towns. And I'm a white dude, I can't imagine what it would be like if I was a visable minority.)

Hmm, sounds like the big city attitude to me (closeminded & superior feeling), as a person originally from a small town (Binbrook, ON) & also brought up surrounded by factory workers, construction workers (I'm a union electrician) & bikers, I can't say I saw much of anything you described, aside from maybe alcoholism, which is not restricted to small town blue collar workers only, although I know alot of folks from bigger cities (Toronto & Hamilton for example) that have this attitude of superiorty and outlook towards people from or about small towns.

As for it gets worse the more north you go, I dunno where you travel, but I've spent a fair amount of time in the north country over my 36 years, Yukon, NWT & Nunavut - Baffin Island to be exact, where us white folk are minorities and the only serious racisim I really saw was big city folks with big city attitudes who moved there for the novelty of living in the north. Most true northerners are damn friendly folks in all my expirences living & working in the north. But then again, I don't have that big city attitude.

First, simply becuase you live in a small town does not mean you nessesarily are guilty of "small town thinking". It simply means, that type of thinking often prevades small towns. What I mean by small town thinking is; "Generally close-minded, sometimes racists/prejudice type of attitude, that serves only those who are the majority int hat community". This attitude is often held by those who work in factories in small town, ride unemployement and are on crack or career alcaholics. (see Kitchener/Brantford/Cambridge etc...) Having said that there are great people in those town who do good everyday and are a credit to thier towns.

i'm more inclined to think this type of behaviour is EVERYWHERE, but due to limited populations, is more apparent in small towns.

the factory worker/unemployment comment is a bit much though.. i'd reconsider that.

Ok perhaps perception is everything, but I've recently been hanging out in Kitchener and Brantford and there is a real/noticable segment of the population that either is on welfare or unemployed or works in low level factory jobs, that do nothing but sit on thier porch, drink, pop out babies and smoke crack.

Not saying that doesn't happen in Toronto, but it is less noticable due to the large population.

And to be fair the entire population of these towns are not like this, but as they are more isolated, the effect on a visitor is more pervasive.

I also think that yes racisim is everywhere but I beleive it is more tolerated in small towns where there is less diversity and less minoritites. I speak from personal experience.

Well...

I have to say that after living in Seoul and coming back to Hamilton, I've realized just how awesome the hammer is. It's kind of in-between a small town and a big city. I also love Toronto cause there's always cool shit going down there and it's even fun just to hang out and people watch. I don't think it really matters where ur from but how U look at it :D

Every city has a different vibe and I love to go visit new places :D Cities are so interesting. I haven't really spent too much time in smaller towns cause I'm a city girl...but maybe someday I'll head to some small town where I know everyone. :)

good thread y'all :D

Sarah

and there is a real/noticable segment of the population that either is on welfare or unemployed or works in low level factory jobs, that do nothing but sit on thier porch, drink, pop out babies and smoke crack.

It's true, he has been to Browntown. In fact, this sentence is in our tourism brochure.

i've only been to toronto about a dozen times, and usually just for a day or two. i never used to think it was special, but as i visit more i get to like it more. maybe it's growing on me as i get to know it a little better. there's just more of everything.

and you can get half-decent sushi there, which is a huge plus. i need my fix every once in a while.

:)

no, i haven't...maybe i'll give it a try.

i tried a few of the other recommended spots last year and was disappointed with them. i kinda gave up on trying places in this town after that.

i seem to be going to toronto every now and then for shows :) which helps.

Have you been to the one at the end of Rideau St? I think it's called Bento (*not* to be confused with the brand sold en masse at Loblaws). It gets lots of raves and I like it. Just curious how an expert feels about it. :)

P.S. Toronto rocks.

the lady I worked under briefly, who was the unquestionable leader of the mail room at stock brockerage Merill Lynch, (on Bay Street downtown Toronto) who had proudly enthused to me that she had worked through each and every holiday the company offered her in her 26 years there and had never missed a day otherwise, confided to me one day when I came in complaining of a sore throat from breathing the propane fumes coughed out by an ocean of downtown taxis all day that "At least its not as polluted as Hamilton."

I smiled, looked her straight in the eye, and said "Thats right!"

to this day, I joyously have never seen her even once in Hamilton

Edited by Guest

definatly a top qualifier for longest sentance ever payce...

I grew up in toronto and always loved it. then I moved to halifax for 2 years and fell in love with it and coincidedly (sp?) started hating toronto.

I could not see myself living in halifax for more then a few years, (say, longer then the average university degree).

I lived in hamilton for a year and enjoyed it. I regularly go back for its music scene and good folk (lookin' yer way lazlo).

Now i'm back in toronto and I dont love it, but I dont really hate it either. As long as I can move freely between hamilton and toronto with the random trip out east, i'm happy.

btw, my 7:15 wake up this morning went well, as did my first day of work (finishing carpenter apprentice-ish lacky).

I don't actually hate toronto, had many great times there, but it is awful easy to poke fun at... though anyone saying Toronto beats Vancouver for quality of living obviously thinks there's more calories in water than milk ;)

the lady I previously mentioned could make my run-on sentance there look like an abbreviated haiku... my time working with her made me REALLY get a kick out of the movie "Office Space"