Jambands.ca

5 album rotation - cuz it's been a while

CyberHippie

Haven't noticed a 5 disc in a while. Figured I'd call this one "album rotation" since I rarely actually listen to cd's.

What's the last 5 albums you listened to?

Warren Haynes and Friends - Ritz Power Jam 2/5/1993

John Prine - John Prine

Jurassic 5 - Feedback

Breakestra - Hit the Floor

Dave Matthews Band - Lee's Palace 10/6/94

The Warren Haynes and friends band consisted of an incredible line up, along with special guests including Trey, John Popper, and Dave Matthews, doing the sickest version of All Along the watchtower you've ever heard. It'll melt your brain.

The John Prine I found in a used record store today for only $2.50 on vinyl. Sweet! Illegal Smile, great tune.

:D

Guest Low Roller

I'll bite:

TV on the Radio- Return to Cookie Mountain

This album has definitely grown on me. At first listen I was rather surprised that Pitchfork was fellating this album so much. But I gave it a couple of listens and it really took off. Apparently they put on a killer show as well...

Easy Star All-Stars- Radiodread

When it was first announced that ESAS were embarking on this project I was really excited; after all Dub Side of The Moon was sensational. I heard some first excerpts about a month ago or so and I was happy with Let Down, but indifferent to No Surprises. Then I finally got to hear the whole album. Entertaining, but ultimately disappointing. There is one track that surpasses the original however, and that's Fitter Happier... there's something about hearing a rastafarian enumerate all the ways to stay happy that just makes me giggle.

Editors- The Back Room

Harmless brit-indie-rock album in the vein of Interpol. Catchy rock tunes, but the longevity of this album in my rotation will be judged by time.

Jay-Z- The Black Album

In anticipation of seeing Jay-Z at Wembley arena on the 24th, I figured I should dip into his catalogue a little bit. I started off with his last(?) and possibly greatest album. Seriously, this album is wicked.

Tantric- Tantric

From the ashes of Days of the New, came a less self-agrandising, more balls-out version of the band called Tantric. All they had to do was ditch the lead singer and his raging ego, and they have a pretty kicking (acoustic) rock band.

Hmm... no room for jammy music in my 5 disc rotation this week...

Really only listening/watching live DVDs lately (again). Heres the last five:

• Steely Dan - 2003-08-23 Camden NJ
  • Canned Heat - Hells Angels Day - Bedofrd, Austraila
  • CCR - Royal Albert Hall, Royal Albert Hall 1970-04-14
  • Muddy Waters w/ The Rolling Stones - The Checkerboard Lounge, Chicago 1981-11-22
  • Pink Floyd - KQED TV Studios San Francisco, CA - 1970-04-29
  • Tom Waits - Koninklijk Theater Carré, Amsterdam, NL - 2004-11-21

Been on a bit of nostalgia kick lately:

1. Underworld - Beaucoup Fish

2. The Orb - The Orb's Adventures in the Ultraworld

3. M.Ward - Live in Montreal 2006-09-12

4. My Morning Jacket - Okonokos

5. Yo La Tengo - I am Not Afraid of You and Will Beat your Ass (great album title!)

i read an interview with richard, who said that some of their best music was made together while they were fighting, shortly before their divorce.

he then went on to say that he was less proud of his output during his "bitter years."

He did put out a few stinkers in the mid-80s - Daring Adventures, Across A Crowded Room and Amnesia all have more than their fair share of questionable songs on them. Of course, one of his greatest albums - Hand of Kindness - came out right after the breakup.

That would be the "Shoot Out The Lights" album, then. Another classic from the man.

From what I have read, the Shoot Out The Lights tour was incredible - Richard and Linda would barely look at each other, and apparently had some on-stage blowouts. The incredibly high emotional quotient apparently made for some barn-burner shows.