Jambands.ca

Ottawa: Canada's Worst Sports Town?

AD

Ian Mendes' commentary from Sportsnet...

Ottawa: Canada's Worst Sports Town?

Disclaimer: I am not writing this from Toronto.

I live and work in Ottawa. I do my grocery shopping at Farm Boy, I listen to Lowell Green on the radio, I get frustrated that there is no exit for Bank St. off the Queensway and just like you, I'm wondering when the O-Train will arrive in Barrhaven.

Okay, now that I've firmly established myself as a true resident of Ottawa, I would like to pose a question to you.

Do we live in the worst sports city in the country?

Let's review the facts:

1. We currently have no CFL football team and we have a built-in excuse of perpetually poor ownership.

2. We will lose our Triple-A baseball team next summer because most bridal shows have better attendance.

3. Our NHL team, which has been the most exciting for the past few seasons, has the lowest season ticket base of any Canadian team.

Now before you start throwing your Beaver Tails in my general direction, please read further.

There are thousands of great sports fans in Ottawa. I am not trying to offend those loyal ticket buyers in the city. In terms of die-hard fans, Ottawa certainly has a good core of them. If you are one of those fans, please don't take this personally.

What I'm wondering is: Why are there so few of you out there? Isn't this supposed to be Canada's fourth-largest city?

I can't help but wonder what the situation will be here in a few years when the Senators are no longer an elite team in the NHL. If they have the lowest season ticket base

amongst Canadian teams when they have the most entertaining team, what is going to happen when things take a turn for the worse?

Why in the name of Frank Finnigan are we so finicky?

At times, this city appears too conservative to fully invest the emotion that is needed to fully become a great sports city. Maybe it's because we're a government town and everyone is just used to sitting on the fence on political issues that the same mentality has simply trickled into our sporting tastes as well.

I really wanted say this a few months ago, when the Senators knocked out the Lightning in Game 5 of the first round of the playoffs in April. The atmosphere in Scotiabank Place was eerily silent that night.

Had any other city been on the verge of knocking out an opponent in the Stanley Cup playoffs, they would have been wild and on the edge of their seats. In Ottawa, it was as though everyone in attendance would receive a complimentary root canal if the Senators were victorious.

What gives? Is it just me, or do I live in the worst sports city in Canada?

Mendes, you may be right, but get the fuck out of Ottawa. I hope Spartacat eats you.

Some facts about Ian Mendes:

- birthplace: Mississauga, Ontario

- after graduating Carleton with a B.J. in '98, Mendes went to work for the Ottawa Lynx public relations office.

- At about the same time, attendance at Ottawa Lynx games nose-dived

- suited up as "Lenny the Lynx", Ottawa's least favourite mascot on 2 occasions

Same reason applies to why ottawa fails to be a great music city.

I don't understand.

My Dad vs. Yours

The Acorn

Jetplanes of Abraham

Million Dollar Marxists

Acres

Relief Maps

Soft Disaster

Hilotrons

Ottawa will blow up in the next year I predict.

Unless you were being clever and agreeing with him and disagreeing while introducing a new variable... I dunno.

Ottawa is a great music town.

AD

I don't understand.

My Dad vs. Yours

The Acorn

Jetplanes of Abraham

Million Dollar Marxists

Acres

Relief Maps

Soft Disaster

Hilotrons

Ottawa will blow up in the next year I predict.

Unless you were being clever and agreeing with him and disagreeing while introducing a new variable... I dunno.

Ottawa is a great music town.

AD

I disagree. Much like having a great hockey team does not make Ottawa a great hockey town, having great music has not made Ottawa a great music town. Cases I'd cite:

- Bluesfest (I could almost stop here)

- Zaphod's

- The ever-revolving names/lockouts of live music venues in town.

- Appalling turnout at top-notch shows.

Edited by Guest

i still don't understand... how does Bluesfest relate to Ottawa being a bad music town? or Zaphods?

Not trying to pick a fight, I just don't understand your point. The sentence of your last post "Much like having a great hockey team does not make Ottawa a great hockey town, having great music has not made Ottawa a great music town" made some sense, but then the examples got me more confused.

Let me clarify:

- Bluesfest

Near-catatonic audience that only gets out of its lawnchairs long enough to go grab a plate of nachos from the back of the venue.

- Zaphod's

Perhaps Ottawa's #2 music venue in terms of recognition (after barrymore's), yet they pull bands off the stage by 11pm so that people can dance to the same music mix I danced to in 1995.

Obviously not enough of a regular/supportive clientele to keep the places afloat, despite the presence of 2 universities and 1 college.

Speaks for itself.

SOme of these things are exact parallels of what this guy's talking about with the Sens (#4 city in Canada in terms of size, but they can't sell season tix?). "Sens fever", for all I've seen, and I've been a sens fan for about a decade, is the temperature equivalent of a mild flush from walking up a flight of stairs. Go to Calgary, go to Edmonton, hell come to montreal where the team isn't even any good, and you'll feel more of a "fever" than in the hometown of what I feel is the best team in hockey.

I'm afraid apathy is catching in Ottawa, and it doesn't matter if you're a sports fan or a music buff or both.

Edited by Guest

I think Toronto puts Ottawa and evey other big city in Canada to shame. Sure Torontonians seem to like the Argos right now, with attendance usually in the high 20 thousands, but that could and probably will change soon. The Marlies draw flies as did the St. Mike's Majors prompting their upcoming move to the burbs. The MLS soccer team will play to an empty but new stadium next summer - who can't see this coming? The minor league Maple Leafs ball team barely gets by at Christie Pitts and the admission is FREE. Oh yeah, the Jays attendance is pitiful and an embarrassment to the league, unless the Yankees or Red Sox are in town.

As for Ottawa, the idiot Mendes (from a long line of on-air idiots working at Sportsnet) never mentions how great the support is for the 67's - playing to 10 thousand a night. He doesn't mention that the 67's play downtown - far easier to get to than the inconvenience of driving and/or busing to and from a Senators home game out in a field. Nor does he question why Baltimore moved its AAA Orioles to a province that traditionally supports the Jays - I do think one of the Jays affiliates could make a go of it in Ottawa. Get a good owner that makes good management decisions and the Rough Riders will find glory once again. Too bad Eugene Melnyk isn't interested in resurrecting the franchise. The CFL needs a guy like Melnyk. So does Ottawa.

- Zaphod's

Perhaps Ottawa's #2 music venue in terms of recognition (after barrymore's), yet they pull bands off the stage by 11pm so that people can dance to the same music mix I danced to in 1995.

I don't know why people complain about that. I think it's a good thing. If you work the next day, you can be home at decent hour to get a good night's rest, if you so choose. Or, with the bands done at 11, there's plenty of time to go see more bands at a different bar.

- Bluesfest

Near-catatonic audience that only gets out of its lawnchairs long enough to go grab a plate of nachos from the back of the venue.

At least they come out to sit in their lawnchairs. They could be doing that at home and letting the top-notch line-up play in some other city that day.

- Zaphod's

Without the disco after the bands Eugene couldn't afford to book bands at all, so I think we should be happy he still books good bands 6 nights a week usually. Incidently, on September 29 Jetplans of Abraham, the Soft Disaster and Relief Maps are playing at Zaphods. 3 of the best bands in this shitty music town at a shitty music club. But I'll be there and the place will be packed and sold out.

Obviously not enough of a regular/supportive clientele to keep the places afloat, despite the presence of 2 universities and 1 college.

'Obviously'? Lots of regular live music venues that have been around for years..... Zaphods, Capital, Rainbow, Babylon, Barrymore's, NAC Theatres, house shows, Irene's, Nostalgica, Mavericks, SAW...

Speaks for itself.

How is a crappy music city getting these top-notch shows? And what shows are you talking about? I've got tickets to at least 4 sellout shows in the next 3 weeks...

I'm afraid apathy is catching in Ottawa, and it doesn't matter if you're a sports fan or a music buff or both.

I'll agree with you on the sports thing, that there is apathy. Hardly the worst town though... But I disagree on the music apathy point... Too bad this discussion is in the sports forum where no-one will take part or read it...

AD

I think Toronto puts Ottawa and evey other big city in Canada to shame. Sure Torontonians seem to like the Argos right now, with attendance usually in the high 20 thousands, but that could and probably will change soon. The Marlies draw flies as did the St. Mike's Majors prompting their upcoming move to the burbs. The MLS soccer team will play to an empty but new stadium next summer - who can't see this coming? The minor league Maple Leafs ball team barely gets by at Christie Pitts and the admission is FREE. Oh yeah, the Jays attendance is pitiful and an embarrassment to the league, unless the Yankees or Red Sox are in town.

uh, so how exactly is that putting evey other big city in Canada to shame then, dave?

edit to add: well booche has told me in a round about way that your point is that Toronto puts other cities to shame in the category of "Worst sports town". aha

Edited by Guest
baileys in my coffee

Mendes replies:

The ire of the nation's capital

I thought I'd never write these words, but it appears as though I have something in common with the Pope. We both ruffled the feathers of certain groups by making controversial comments last week. And like the Pontiff himself, I am also here today to write a somewhat ambiguous apology.

In this very space a week ago, I suggested that Ottawa might be the worst sports city in the country. I specifically put a disclaimer in the article, saying that I was not trying to offend the die-hard sports fans of this great city.

However, it appears that a great many of you were indeed offended by my comments. Judging from some of the responses posted here on the blog and coupled with the fact that I had to go on the radio to defend my position, I can safely announce that I will be withdrawing my candidacy for mayor at the upcoming November election.

I would like to reiterate that I was not attacking the true sports fans in here Ottawa. I was just wondering aloud why there are so few of you out there in the 613 area code.

But since some of you failed to get that point, I'd like to respond to some of your criticisms to my original article. There appear to be three points in which you have taken an issue with me.

Your First Issue: "Mendes is an idiot. He says the Senators have a problem with season tickets - and yet the team sold out 33 games and played to nearly 100 per cent capacity."

My Response: It's all well and fine that your team sold out 33 out of a possible 41 home dates. But the main issue I have is that a large portion of those tickets are being purchased as single games. The reality is this city should have a much higher season ticket base. When you have a significant season ticket base (let's say 13,500), you don't need to rely on the walk-up crowd as much. Ottawa is clearly a walk-up town - which is a very troubling label to have. That's fantastic for now when you've got the most exciting team to watch, but what about three years from now if the team isn't as competitive? This city is made up of hundreds of thousands of overpaid, underworked government employees that should have no problem shelling out a small percentage of their disposable income to boost the season ticket base.

Your Second Issue: "Mendes is an idiot. He says the Lynx leaving Ottawa is a bad reflection on us. He doesn't know what he's talking about, since Triple-A teams left other cities like Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver."

My Response: Let's take the Edmonton Trappers, the last Triple-A franchise to leave Canada, as an example. Contrary to what you might think, the Trappers did NOT leave Edmonton because of attendance issues - which is the ONLY reason the Lynx are leaving Ottawa. The Trappers were very popular in their city and usually ranked in the middle of league attendance. More than 10 million fans watched them play over the years - a mark that no other Canadian minor league franchise has reached and a milestone that many American minor league franchises have yet to attain. The main reason why the Trappers left Edmonton? Edmonton was in a terrible geographic location for a low-budget league with teams in the American south. And once Nolan Ryan and his family put in an incredible offer to purchase the team, their fate was sealed into moving to Texas. Ottawa fans have nobody to blame but themselves for the departure of the Lynx. In their last season of existence, the Trappers finished 66th in all of minor league attendance - not a bad place to finish, considering the fans knew the team was leaving. By the way, in that same year (2004), the Lynx finished 112th - just two spots ahead of the independent league team in Quebec City.

Your Third Issue: "That Mendes is really an idiot. He actually thinks we should have supported the CFL teams despite the horrible ownership. This guy is a real moron."

My response: In no way will I ever suggest that fans in this market should have paid any of their money for season tickets during this second Glieberman era. The losing football, the terrible promotions and the brutal sound system at the stadium were all reasons to avoid the team like the plague. But what I find troubling is the night of June 28, 2002. That was the Renegades first game ever, ending a six-year stretch without CFL football. At the time, there were no issues with the Watters ownership group as everyone just seemed happy to have football back in Ottawa. It should have been a no-brainer that the game against Saskatchewan was a sell-out. It should have been the toughest ticket in town. Instead, the game was played to a less than full Frank Clair Stadium. That should have been our first warning sign that there were troubled times ahead for CFL football in Ottawa.

So there you have it Ottawa. That is my response to the issues you have with me. Once again, I'm hoping that the true sports fans in Ottawa don't take this personally. But as always, I'm sure some of you will be more angry with me after today's blog entry.

And if that's the case, perhaps I should contact the Pope and see if the Vatican can lend me one of those bulletproof Pope-mobiles to drive around in. I might need a little extra protection going around Ottawa if this article angers some more people.

"The reality is this city should have a much higher season ticket base. When you have a significant season ticket base (let's say 13,500), you don't need to rely on the walk-up crowd as much. Ottawa is clearly a walk-up town - which is a very troubling label to have. That's fantastic for now when you've got the most exciting team to watch, but what about three years from now if the team isn't as competitive?"

Senator fans might not like this statement, but it is a very valid point. Pretty easy to watch a team and be a fan when your team gets over a 100 points a year and loses in the first few rounds of the playoffs every year.

"[Ottawa] hockey fans care more about the Maple Leafs than they do about their own team."

Of course there is no way for either side to 'prove' this, but 99% of the Sens fans I know (and I know a lot) are Sens fans first and look on the rivalry with Toronto as a fun side-show. I could care less about the Leafs, it's just a fun little bonus.

On what level? That Canada's a bad sports town or that Ottawa has more leafs fans than sens fans?

More fans or not, that wasn't the gist of the post

Certainly I've noticed that Leafs fans are generally louder and more boisterous than Sens fans at most Sens-Leafs games in Ottawa.

Not suprising really since the Leafs were the only English team around from 1934-1992. Good chance for a lot of Ottawa / Eastern Ontario Leafs fans to see their team at cheaper prices than the ACC.

AD