Jambands.ca

Chives Vs. Kung - 1st bout

bouche

Chives Vs. Kung

Round 1

Chives:

Exclaim magazine is like that really hot girl you're'fu@k buddies' with: they're really attractive and entertaining and well put together, but the second the superficial thrill is gone, you start to remember and hate how annoying this girl's personality is. She has a whiny voice, she reads 'Adbusters,' and she likes music you can not stand. But if you're a music lover like I am...you get real horny like for reading about the art form you adore and about once a month you get an urge. Exclaim has the potential for greatness - for having a voice that could actually influence people's opinions on music - they just have to take the indie-leftist-bullshit cock out of their mouth and start speaking the truth.

Kung:

Well Chives my good man your demigoguery is truly reaching demigod status. I have woken up next to that selfsame chick. This is not my beautiful house. This is not my beautiful wife. So where is the David Byrne type sh!t these days? If I'm going to go in for that Art School trip I at least want Pete Townshend or David Bryne or Townshend-Byrneish type figures backing it up. I saw Bell Orchestre at the Guelph Jazz Festival and the chick in the pixie skirt (the violin chick) was real, umm distracting like, and even that Archie looking fu�ker from Arcade Fire was relatively unannoying but the whole thing was like a big meh. Like that word meh for you know just a steaming pile of turd. Thing is the french horn guy Pietro Amato is really the sh!t in Torngat and they were all good players although the drummer guy was super efete in a kind of flouncy way and had those massively tweezed eyebrows that make you sort of uncomfortable in your masculinity. He, the eyebrow drummer guy, did this kind of cutesy bit with a typewriter and you could tell he did it at every show like the between song jokes that Wynona Judd and Reba McEntire do night after night. I guess I'm saying that Exclaim! is sort of like the drummer/typewriterist from Bell Orchestre (or really any male with overly groomed eyebrows that quietly question yours and his masculinity) although I'm not quite sure how I got here.

Round 2

Chives:

Ouch! I'd hate to be compared to Bell Orchestre cuz I just checked out their website and they seem like the gayest sh!t I've ever seen...their bio section sent douche-bag shivers down my spine and made me want to drink tequilla from the skull of a dead hooker just to regain some of the masculinity that bullshit took away from me. Personally I have no time whatsoever for that type of pretentious bullshit...is Exclaim as bad as Bell Orchestre? Maybe, but I don't think they're quite there yet - they always manage to pull at lesat one good review or story out of their ass, though they do seem to celebrate really gay sh!t. So maybe the two aren't all that far off from one another. Bell Orchestre...ha ha ha...god that is some gay sh!t.

Kung:

We should be clear that we don't mean gay in a Brokeback Mountain ( ed. yes that is exactly what we mean - the old spit on the finger )sort of way or a hateful sort of way. Hidden Cameras are for instance (largely) gay and 'gay' in the Eminem sense of the word. Gentleman Reg is very very gay. I saw him guest with Final Fantasy at Hillside and they did that Tom Tom Club song that everybody knows as a Mariah Carey song. He was sort of lollygagging his foot and you know singing a Mariah Carey song. I told him afterward "Reg I hope you don't take this the wrong way but that was possibly the GAYEST thing I've ever seen". He smiled genuinely but you always kind of wonder if he's imagining you naked. But yes yes Exclaim! They are not so gay as Reg indeed. I think we both probably agree that they are even occasionally "illin'". You dug that fu�k The Facts feature right Chives? And that Massari guy you're down with him too (you want to talk eyebrows). Across the board it's pretty fu�king tight- alls we're saying is where is the brown? Let's take this to brown town.

Decision

Kung throws in the towel. Chives WINS

I don't see the point of giving airtime in a discussion about art to people who don't understand art.

I appreciate the critique but it's not exactly like Chives and I are ignorant of our art history. If the argument is that we don't create art it should also be noted Chives is an experimental film maker/ writer and I am a dancer/ writer. From my experience people are just as tired of lording over people with perennial motifs and zeitgeist awakenings.

this is what chives vs kung is all about, the real news... dont you get it??? the false bull sh!t bio mypsace created reviews, and forever re-praising of the same genereic `pop` alt rock that exclaim loooooves... is in no way NEWS!, get it together. folks, i will forgive you because you have been living in this false protected world of the ever-s0- perfect and molded canadian music scene. BUT, you have seen the light, go towards it and maybe provide a useful argument other than bashing someones outside and " actually alternative" thoughts on the industry.

thats all i have to say for now,

kudos to my boys chives and kung