Jambands.ca

I Need Help

\/\/illy

Here's the situation...

I've been offerred an upright piano for free. Leanne and I have wanted one for years and this one sounds like it has real potential. It's from the turn of the century, it's Canadian made, it's reportedly in good shape, et cetera. The problem is that I have to handle all the moving and it needs to be moved tonight. At first I thought I'd arrange a truck (my sister's pickup) and try to lure some friends to help me with the move (that's you guys :) ). After giving this some more thought, I'm not sure that's the best course of action. It needs to come down five stairs at it's currently location and then up the stairs at the front of my house. I'm slightly intimidated because this piano manufacturer apparently used extra thick wood and a second 'cast-iron' support plate inside which apparently would make it 'extra' heavy.

I'm looking for ideas, suggestions, offers of help, stories of past moves, knowledge of suggested piano moving companies, etc. Anyone?

No past moving expirence with pianos, but I'd look into a dolly (or two) for moving down the stairs. Or at least one of those ramps you get with a UHaul rental. Anyway, thats my suggestions.

I can also offer my help in moving it tonight, if you end up doing it yourself.

Thanks buddy. I may just need to take you up on that. I'd probably be around 5:30pm if it happens. I've got to get a lot of ducks in a row before then though.

I'm giggling picturing all the Hamilton peeps trying to move a piano down a flight of stairs.

I think the more horrifying image is us trying to move it up the stairs at the front of our house.

My advise? Look up "Piano Movers" in the yellow pages.

Yup, I've already done that. I'm waiting to hear back from one about whether they could do it on such short notice.

Good luck!

Yes, thank you very much. I feel like I need it.

I'm almost hoping \/\/illy lives on the second floor (or has to get it from a room on a second floor), and tries to do the "dangle the piano out the window and slowly lower/raise it to/from the ground" thing, just as that elderly woman with the annoying yap-dog is taking her little pooch for walkies...

Aloha,

Brad

Don't ask Gentlemonkey and moe.ron about our move of their piano, unless you want a cautionary tale (happy ending, it's still in 1 piece, unscuffed, and mostly in tune!). One piece of advice, though - tie that sucker down on the truck really, really, really well!

This one is an upright, though, and between 5 of us, we did ok. It has wheels, mind you, but it's still friggin heavy.

I wish I was Close enough to offer my help Willy.

I even have a dolly. but that doesnt do you any good either.

I definately can't wait for the next dining room jam at Willy and Leannes. ;)

I've only moved a piano once, we used 2x6 planks to wheel it out of the back of the pickup. although the porch was almost equal height to the the truck bed at both places. Your front steps are pretty steep.

Good luck man, [color:purple]remember to lift with your legs

Bri

I wish I was Close enough to offer my help Willy.

I even have a dolly. but that doesnt do you any good either.

I definately can't wait for the next dining room jam at Willy and Leannes. ;)

I've only moved a piano once, we used 2x6 planks to wheel it out of the back of the pickup. although the porch was almost equal height to the the truck bed at both places. Your front steps are pretty steep.

Good luck man, [color:purple]remember to lift with your legs

Bri

Ditto to what fretman says! Except for the part about having a dolly!

Peace, Mark