Jambands.ca

Chives Private Polaris

zero

I found this interesting on the Exclaim! board. Chives actually identified what he would pick for a prize like the Polaris Music Prize just awarded to Final Fantasy if he went in for nationalistic music prize type stuff.

Wax Mannequin, The Price

Daiquiri, Babies Makies Babies

Fuck the Facts, Stigmata High Five

Peaches, Impeach my Bush

Thines Eyes Bleed, In the Wake of Separation

Raised by Swans, Codes and Secret Longings

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a little something for ya.

When Raised by Swans opened for Jimmy Swift in Guelph, the singer from Raised by Swans threw a tantrum in front of the club during Jimmy Swift's set break.

He could be heard muttering obscenities and then smashed on the groung the Jimmy Swift CD, he was likely given by the band.

[color:purple]Sounds like a top notch guy.

Their music's actually kind of good, but I could not possibly go see an artist that would do such a thing to a colleague's music.

Deeps

P.S. Woooo gossip.

Deeps let's go back to that CD smashing incident. HOLY FUCK DOES THAT GET MY BLOOD BOILING QUICKLY AND MAKE ME WANT TO BRING THE FULL WRATH OF THE KUNG (AND THE UNHOLY ALLIANCE) FULLY TO BEAR.

What a fucking dick. What a fucking dick. I haven't gotten worked up about such a thing in ages. I'm wondering if it was the Ghandarvas guy or the wannabe Bill Laswell producer Andy Magoffin who did that. I approached him at the show (Andy) saying Mike (McDougall) and I had enjoyed their set and how it was nice for us to reconnect about Halifax and life while they played. I don't know if he was reacting to me, the audience (which was all his little indy rock Barmitzvah culties who all predictably left right after their set) or my sentiment. I did make a ballsy comment considering his background that there wasn't as wide a gap between Raised By Swans and JSB as might be evident at first. I sort of fished for any response and he gave me a deathly glare and I said 'good fences make good neighbours?'. Nothing.

Magoffin's got cred but I can't quite get over how he's dating (or at least was) Jenny from Barmitzvah Brothers (she's 20 he's 40ish). I can see the match for sure. I want to do high school girls from time to time too.

He could be heard muttering obscenities and then smashed on the groung the Jimmy Swift CD, he was likely given by the band.

HOLY FUCK. KUNG angry KUNG very angry. I think once Chives and wrap up the 'Beards and Haircuts' bout it is straight on to this fucking chump. What would that be called I guess it's the inevitable 'Indy vs. Jam' 'Chives vs. Kung'.

'Magoffin's got cred but I can't quite get over how he's dating (or at least was) Jenny from Barmitzvah Brothers (she's 20 he's 40ish). I can see the match for sure. I want to do high school girls from time to time to. '

you can't say you're never petty.

anyhow, andy's done a lot for the scene, helping bands put out some great records.

he's no laswell but never claims any fame either.

but gossip brings you much more respect than you're already getting outside this board doesn't it...

Do not fucking trifle with me Beats. You really have so far from a clue most of the time it's laughable. And I still give you the respect of reading your bloated run-ons.

Where is it you think I'm coming from on an issue like this. I found the guy kind of skeevy in person and the Jenny thing was part of it. The snide stiff upper indy lip was most of it. Finding out that I was right in my sense that they were holding their nose up at a sojourning band with just as legitimate a right to practice their craft (and be recognized) as anyone else pisses me off to no end. What is it I owe these groups? Why is anything off limits whatsoever? Certainly Web 2.0 and a new litigious age of internet libel will soon take these rights away from us so good on you for being part of that Beats 2.0.

I thought it was an inspired idea of Tim (Van Gogh's manager/booker) to pair them and if not for their woefully shoddy attitude it worked out totally well. Clearly they feel they should be closing but I don't know how many people want to mournfully shoegaze past 1 O'clock. But hey if your cult of personality is big enough.

I should add I have no idea why Kung is so angry about this situation. A guy threw a CD on the floor. Another guy is dating a young girl. Beats got 'yelled at'.

?????????

I suspect all this talk is actually a secret code, and is really just descriptions of Booche's toe activities.

Aloha,

Brad

That whole night was emblematic to me of the conflict between the indy and jam niche subcultures. The tension was palpable if you were watching for it.

Let me put it this way, the greek word for ritual is I believe dromenon (a thing done). Greek theatre is an outgrowth of ritual- a thing done on stage. Smashing a CD is very deliberate, ritualistic, moreover public and degrading. Doing it in front of a venue to a band you are playing in support of makes it more dramatic. There needs to be a counterpoint or three to this kind of histrionics. Great you were in the fucking Ghandarvas, move the fuck on.

That whole night was emblematic to me of the conflict between the indy and jam niche subcultures. The tension was palpable if you were watching for it.

Let me put it this way, the greek word for ritual is I believe dromenon (a thing done). Greek theatre is an outgrowth of ritual- a thing done on stage. Smashing a CD is very deliberate, ritualistic, moreover public and degrading. Doing it in front of a venue to a band you are playing in support of makes it more dramatic. There needs to be a counterpoint or three to this kind of histrionics. Great you were in the fucking Ghandarvas, move the fuck on.

Or maybe he found out he got herpes and threw the closest thing to him.

You're getting upset something that you heard about 3rd hand through gossip and with no context.

What's the greek word for that?

Fair enough. Still I have no reason to doubt the veracity of it. I could easily confirm the event took place, I could question the artist in the context of the interview about the 'event'. I sincerely think a pissant like this wouldn't have the balls to just come out and say what he was feeling about playing second fiddle to a jamband while trying to promote his 'act'. Don't get me wrong they're an alright band, I can think of about a 100 improvising, textural, passage working musicians who could do the same thing but whatever.

The thing that gets me about these situations is where you don't trust your instincts, bridle your hatred, play the game - and to what end. I am finally getting to the point (I know you thought I was already there) where I just say exactly what I mean. AND find the strength of my convictions.

move on?? i moved on to the crap about Magoffin's girlfriend.

i agree with said sentiments re: smashing a fine CD...why not give it away instead?

anyhow, yes. i got 'yelled at' for essentially thinking someone older than me should grow up which removes any sort of realistic clout from the argument.

That and if I saw that happen in person I would have definitely gotten into a verbal altercation and although I am surprisingly not a violent person I would seriously consider stepping it up to a physical altercation. Boys and Men have the option of doing that. Particularly in rural bar towns. What a fucking panzer. I am seriously going to get to the bottom of this and shove that exact same trip right back into his face.

Let me put it this way' date=' the greek word for ritual is I believe dromenon (a thing done). Greek theatre is an outgrowth of ritual- a thing done on stage. Smashing a CD is very deliberate, ritualistic, moreover public and degrading. Doing it in front of a venue to a band you are playing in support of makes it more dramatic. There needs to be a counterpoint or three to this kind of histrionics. Great you were in the fucking Ghandarvas, move the fuck on.[/quote']

Or maybe he found out he got herpes and threw the closest thing to him.

You're getting upset something that you heard about 3rd hand through gossip and with no context.

What's the greek word for that?

:o

That's a solid point, but I do think the reaction was in fact due to some musical differences and someone not being able to control themselves.

I just saw Raised by Swans on the above list and this story, which is somewhat known in our little town, also of which I have sat on for a while not wanting to cause shit seemed to beg to see the light of day.

You want to make a public dispicable act? well now it's really public I guess.

Let me confirm who did the fabled toss and then we shall buy an apple and spit ok?

That and if I saw that happen in person I would have definitely gotten into a verbal altercation and although I am surprisingly not a violent person I would seriously consider stepping it up to a physical altercation. Boys and Men have the option of doing that. Particularly in rural bar towns. What a fucking panzer. I am seriously going to get to the bottom of this and shove that exact same trip right back into his face.

Down Kung down...no beatings unless we're in front of Sun Sun's and you looked at my girl.

Deeps

At least people like Deeps (who are working incredibly hard swimming up stream against the mediocrity of lo-fi indy poseurism) are growing a set of balls to get indignant about this.

I can't really apologize for tearing a strip off you Beats. Your argument is sort of fallacious though. The event was public, his relationship is public, I am a monitor of public expressions with regard to music communities. It's all relevant and if not for a fear of libel, editorial wussiness and the like you'd hear a lot more stories like this. You have no idea how much amazingly scintillating 'gossip' is edited and censored due to media wanting to retain access to saleable artists. Gossip is one word for it. The truth is another.